Other Voices

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*
  • Registered Users

Posted 27 October 2005 - 02:10 PM

Other Voices was released 34 years ago at the end of October US and November UK to critical acclaim but sadly to complete disinterest by mainstream Doors fans making the very lower reaches of the charts here in the UK and also a poor showing in the US.
Shame really as it had some damn good songs on it Eye Of The Sun, Wandering Musician and Ships w/Sails as well as the best ever tribute to Jim in Ray's superb Tightrope Ride. The musicianship on display was exceptional and Ray's bluesy vocal style although no match for what had gone before was more than passable.
Be nice to see this album and its follow up get the recognition it deserves in the Doors world.....I have been listening to it since November 1971 and I love this album...my seventh fave Doors album!
:cheers:

#2 All we did was die...

All we did was die...

• Members
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 02:25 PM

34 years ago this month, eh?

Other things that happened during October 1971:
October 1 - Walt Disney World opens.
October 21 - President Nixon nominated Lewis Franklin Powell, Jr. and William H. Rehnquist to the U.S. Supreme Court.
October 21 - Gas explosion in Clarkston, Glasgow kills 20 people.
October 25 - The United Nations General Assembly admits the People's Republic of China and expels the Republic of China (on Taiwan).
October 27 - Democratic Republic of the Congo is renamed Zaire.
October 28 - British House of Commons votes in favour of joining the EEC by 356-244.
October 28 - The United Kingdom becomes the 6th nation to launch a satellite into orbit, the Prospero X-3.
October 29 - Vietnam War: Vietnamization - The total number of American troops still in Vietnam drops to a record low of 196,700 (lowest since January 1966)
October 30 - Rev. Ian Paisley's Democratic Unionist Party founded in Northern Ireland.
October 31 - A bomb explodes at the top of the Post Office Tower in London.

#3 King Morrison

King Morrison

• Members
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 03:25 PM

mine fav. too :cheers:

#4 lonepantherx1..

lonepantherx1..

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 05:47 PM

IF YOU DONT OWN THIS ALBUM GET IT AND SAVOR ITS FLAVOR OF TASTE OF MUSIC AND THANKS GUYS FOR DOING THIS FOR ALL OF US AND JIM :peace:

#5 orfedj

orfedj

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:40 PM

I believe this album should be officially released on cd, even if was sold under the band name manzarek, densmore & krieger

Whether you believe that the dorrs died with or not, this the other members of the band paying homage to their frontman.

I hate how this album goes unrecognized, while it has so many songs on it that are better than the crap you here on any classic rock station...

I'll take Tightrope Ride or Ships with Sails anyday over Boston's "more than a feeling", Journey's "lights" (iggggghhhh!) or worse yet any KISS song ever written!

#6 GaragePoet2001

GaragePoet2001

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 11:15 PM

I often see an "Other Voices/Full Circle" CD for sale on Ebay--probably a bootleg--but I've been hesitant to buy it. I really like "Tightrope Ride" from the Doors box set, though, and after everyone's review of the album on this board, I might have to consider trying to find another copy of that CD.

#7 Moorish Idol

Moorish Idol

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 02:52 AM

Originally posted by orfedj@Oct 27 2005, 04:40 PM
I believe this album should be officially released on cd, even if was sold under the band name manzarek, densmore & krieger

Whether you believe that the dorrs died with or not, this the other members of the band paying homage to their frontman.

I hate how this album goes unrecognized, while it has so many songs on it that are better than the crap you here on any classic rock station...

I'll take Tightrope Ride or Ships with Sails anyday over Boston's "more than a feeling", Journey's "lights" (iggggghhhh!) or worse yet any KISS song ever written!

I agree w/ every word you said :bravo: :cheers:

#8 SMORGUS BORGNINE

SMORGUS BORGNINE

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 04:17 AM

this is a great album!!! some great work by the guys and i have to say..songs like ships with sails are as good as any with morrison!! its a shame this and full circle have never seen the treatment they deserve.yet alone..put the better songs on the best of's!!!!!!!! i have the 2 on one disc and i got it off ebay!! its from russia and has a great sound!! id buy it!!

#9 Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*

Guest_TheWallsScreamedPoetry_*
  • Registered Users

Posted 28 October 2005 - 09:42 AM

Originally posted by orfedj@Oct 27 2005, 09:40 PM

This is what Ray said about OV/FC on The Three Hours For Magic Radio Show in 1982
“It just wasn’t the same without Jim. I felt that we were just lost man! It was impossible for us to continue as the Doors we should have recorded those albums as Manzarek, Densmore and Krieger it would have made a lot more sense and said hey we used to be the Doors but are not The Doors anymore the Doors are Jim Morrison, John Densmore, Robby Krieger and Ray Manzarek.
That’s the Doors. Take away ANY (his emphasis NOT mine) part and it’s not The Doors anymore and man we lost the number one part the lead singer himself…the word man and it was impossible to continue to be The Doors so after the second album I just said hey man lets put it to bed you guys…lets close the Doors…no sense continuing. We are not The Doors…The Doors are four people The Doors are not three people and we could never replace Jim Morrison and so lets just give up”

However I disagree that the albums should be released under the banner Manzarek, Densmore and Krieger as these albums were as much Doors albums as WFTS or Strange Days.
Morrison died...there was nothing the other three lads could do about it.....they tried to carry on best they could by making music.
The concerts they did went down very well and considering their set was pretty much completely new material it was a brave effort by the lads that should be applauded.
They do not need to be ashamed that they were The Doors in 1971 to 1973.
An attempt to recruit a new singer nearly came off and who knows what would have happened if Howard Werth the English vocalist from Audience had become the new lead singer of The Doors. Howard was a good writer a very good guitar player and a damn good singer.
He was like the rest of the band steeped in jazz/theatre and a third post Jim album featuring him would have been interesting to say the least.
Forget whats happening now...back then those guys were indeed The Doors and had every right to stand up on stage and say just that.
I myself was rather dissapointed in 1973 when it failed to come off......
In hindsight I believe it was indeed for the best and Ray was right to end The Doors...but back then as a 16/17 year old rolleyes.gif

#10 steve d

steve d

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 09:41 PM

Originally posted by Moorish Idol+Oct 27 2005, 06:52 PM-->
QUOTE(Moorish Idol @ Oct 27 2005, 06:52 PM)

I agree w/ every word you said :bravo: :cheers:

[/b]

same here :peace:

#11 slideronthestorm

slideronthestorm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 11:22 PM

I got into 'Other Voices' in the summer of '73. I was struck by the melancholy, dreamy rhythmic vibe of 'Ships w/ Sails' in particular. It succeeded in conveying the sense of empty grief the remaining members must have felt in the absence of their friend & lead singer. It was a true Doors song in it's structure & melody, though something important was missing, & it was definitely not the fault of the musicians. I felt the emptiness personally, it blended very well with the events in my own life at the time. I haven't heard it for many years, but I can recall the haunting rhythm & the lyrics which follow. The commercial appeal/success or lack thereof of this effort was & is totally irrelevant to me, it's the spark that counts. The songs that appeal to me on ANY album are often not the ones that receive the most airplay or recognition, but rather the ones that strike a cord in the depths of my soul. Nothing that is current in any way comes close to affecting me this way.

#12 King Morrison

King Morrison

• Members
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 01:13 PM

FC is good too :peace:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users