Photo

Matrix again

389 replies to this topic

#1 johncameron

johncameron

• Registered Users
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:33 AM

seen a topic about an agreement on the release of the origianal tapes before the board changed where has it gone whats the info on release dates for this ff box set and the doco cant find anything on this new board bring back the old one
WELL DONE JEFF ON THE FF RELEASE GREAT JOB

#2 antero

antero

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:36 PM

I support this thread aswell, so i think this is a perfect time to let us know WHEN the matrix masters will be released.

What's going with BMR? where's the new website? Felt Forum Boxset and the Treanor tapes are amongts the SHOULD be released list.
Please release the IOW in Blu-ray/DVD and the Matrix Abram's Masters Tapes!!!

#3 hardrockcafe

hardrockcafe

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:38 PM

A post below from April 28 now lost due to the technical problems with the bulletin board. Bottom line is the Doors paid for and now have in their possession the original, complete surviving Matrix source tapes. About 16 minutes of never before heard music is on the tapes.

The Doors acquired possession of the original master tapes circa early May of 2009 (about 3 months ago).

It remains unclear if/when Doors will release a complete Matrix set sourced from the masters.

=============================================================

Posted by hardrock April 28

An agreement has been reached between Peter Abram and The Doors re: the Matrix master tapes. James listened to the tapes and has confirmed the "Jam" noted on the March 7 tape box consists of two previously unreleased instrumentals - which may total as much as approx 16 minutes.

James Healey just gave me permission to post this update he emailed me today.

By James Healey, April 28:

Peter and the Doors have reached an amicable agreement, and Peter will be sending them the tapes this week.

I listened to the two jams, and the first one is nearly 8 1/2 minutes of an instrumental, very "Doors-ish" jam. I apologize, but I was distracted and didn't time the second jam, but I believe it was as long or possibly slightly longer than the first, and had a jazzier, softer feel a la "Summertime," etc. Sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

Peter wanted to give one final listen to all four tapes before he sent them off, but there wasn't much time to stop and go back to check things. If they do indeed issue the complete Matrix tapes as promised, I think you will find these instrumental jams interesting.

Cheers,
James

Edited by hardrockcafe, 22 July 2009 - 11:48 PM.

#4 hardrockcafe

hardrockcafe

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:44 PM

With respect to what we might expect out of these unheard Matrix jams. I'll repost this passage from the Stephen Davis book:

From Jim Morrison, by Stephen Davis, p. 104

They had a couple of different sequences they called "Latin Bull***** #1" and "LBS #2" that were instrumental jams based on arrangements by Gil Evans and John Coltrane's "Afro Blue." These could run half a set at the end of the night in front of the usually empty house.

This claim appears plausible as the Doors inserted the theme of "Afro Blue" into the "middle 8" (aka bridge) of the 1969 Aquarius performance of "Universal Mind" - a possible tribute to Coltrane who died 2 years earlier in 1967.

Since Robby often quoted "My Favorite Things" (a standard often associated with Coltrane's famous 1960 modal exploration on Atlantic Records) in his Light My Fire guitar solos there is ample evidence the Doors were Coltrane fans.

So if one of the jams at Matrix is a Coltrane-esque modal jam based on "Afro Blue" we might be in for a real treat.

To watch John Coltrane performing Afro Blue circa 1963, click here:

Awesome stuff. Note the theme is used in the Universal Mind "bridge" at Aquarius 69.

#5 Yardbird

Yardbird

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 12:08 AM

QUOTE (hardrockcafe @ Jul 23 2009, 12:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With respect to what we might expect out of these unheard Matrix jams. I'll repost this passage from the Stephen Davis book:

This claim appears plausible as the Doors inserted the theme of "Afro Blue" into the "middle 8" (aka bridge) of the 1969 Aquarius performance of "Universal Mind" - a possible tribute to Coltrane who died 2 years earlier in 1967.

Since Robby often quoted "My Favorite Things" (a standard often associated with Coltrane's famous 1960 modal exploration on Atlantic Records) in his Light My Fire guitar solos there is ample evidence the Doors were Coltrane fans.

So if one of the jams at Matrix is a Coltrane-esque modal jam based on "Afro Blue" we might be in for a real treat.

To watch John Coltrane performing Afro Blue circa 1963, click here:

Awesome stuff. Note the theme is used in the Universal Mind "bridge" at Aquarius 69.

hardrockcafe - nice post! Thanks!
When might we see/hear the original Matrix?

#6 hardrockcafe

hardrockcafe

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 12:33 AM

QUOTE (Yardbird @ Jul 23 2009, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hardrockcafe - nice post! Thanks!
When might we see/hear the original Matrix?

Unknown. This is a question that should be addressed to Doors Management.

#7 hardrockcafe

hardrockcafe

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:12 PM

By Jeff Jampol November 24, 2008

"Look, I know some of you are upset. (yes, SOME - NOT ALL).

Firs of all, I think it's important to remind everyone that The Doors' rules on the board need to be respected. if you cannot follow them or remain respectful, even if/when you are upset or not pleased with someone or something, you will be asked to leave.

And I don't think it's fair that the vocal minority completely overshadow what's happening with The Matrix release. I have received scores of congratulatory, laudatory and other types of "thank-you" notes about The Matrix release as well. So, clearly, a LOT of fans are thrilled, and also as clearly, there are different views, ALL of which I respect.

As for The Matrix, as I have said repeatedly, I do not have all the facts. I find it extremely helpful when you guys let me know stuff, and/or make me aware of things I may otherwise not know about, and I pretty much always try to check many of them out. That is what happened back in '06 when the issue of The Matrix was first raised - and I subsequently pulled it pending further investigation.

And yes, there were several serious concerns raised recently, much of which Rhino, Botnick, The Doors and I followed up on. This resulted in us actually changing four of the tracks that we had originally prepared for release. But NONE of us make decisions in a vacuum - not The Doors, not Botnick, not Rhino, and not me. We were very careful about how we proceeded - I mean, one can never be TOO careful, I guess, but we do our best. And, obviously, there are certain business issues I cannot talk about, and which do not belong on a fan chat board, so I am sorry that you are not privy to everything (then again, I don't think I'M privy to everything either, so, we're ALL a little off-base, probably).

One of the things I harped on with you guys in past weeks is to try and separate FACTS from CONCLUSIONS or GUESSES. This is what we must do as businesspeople and managers, so I am a little practiced at it. When we followed up on some of the claims and contentions that were made on the boards here, we could substantiate only a few, and completely debunked still others.

For instance, have any of you wondered why it is that Peter Abram has NEVER spoken up for himself or addressed this? The ONLY communication from Abram that a lot of you seem to be relying upon is coming from someone else who is NOT Peter Abram - this gentleman who purports to be "passing on" Peter Abram's words may be 100% legit, and he may not be - I don't know. I do not know this gentleman, and in fact, there IS no "gentleman" or person, just printed words typed into a chat room response, which, in fact may come from anywhere in the world. How do we know they represent the facts? How do we know they do NOT represent the facts? The answer is, we don't know. They may be genuine, they may be invented, but one thing is for sure - they ARE NOT FROM ABRAM. At least, they do not claim to be - they claim to be from an intermediary. Is this intermediary a duly appointed rep of Abram's? Is he not? Is he even a "he"? Is "he" a fan, masquerading as "someone in the know?" Again, we don't know.

DID Peter Abram sell bootleg copies of these tapes? I don't know. Did he sell them to someone else? I don't know. Were there other copies? Again, I don't know. I have heard from several people that bootlegs were sold from the masters, emanating form the San Francisco area, I have heard from others that Abram sold them, I have heard that he did not, I have heard all KINDS of stuff, and that's just in the last few years! Did Abram get screwed by someone back in the day? Did THE DOORS? I have heard this, too. Again, I don't know. I am pretty sure that The Doors DID pay a substantive amount to someone purporting to be a spokesperson for the recordings, and said person then disappeared and absconded with The Doors' money.

I am not saying this to "shake" anyone, to defend anyone else, or to change anyone's opinions - I am merely stating several in a long line of suppositions that people want us to rely on, and which we cannot.

Some of the recorded samples posted in the past few days DO seem to be of discernibly better quality than what we have released (hell, they're amazing). But, we released what Rhino had acquired. Botnick always said "first-generation tapes," or "first-generation copies," which to me are synonyms, and I even spent the better part of one whole posting talking about what that phrase may or may not mean. Again, we don't have all of the answers - just a lot of questions, many of which appear legitimate. And some of which do not.

We are attempting to do some further research on these better quality samples that have all of a sudden popped up. I will make you two promises:

1. We will research, and if we discover any substantive new information, I will let you know about it. We will also attempt to address some of your concerns regarding what exists, what does not exist, what may or may not be available, and what, if anything, we can/are able to do to address it;

2. If a markedly better copy emerges at some point and we are able to obtain it, I will attempt to make it available to you. I would especially love to find a master-quality recording of all four shows - I think that would be a really cool "limited-edition" mini-box for the hardcore fans and collectors. I would also discuss with Botnick and The Doors just leaving it "as-recorded," i.e. not re-sequencing it, but presenting it just like The Doors performed it, in that order. Obviously, I can be overridden by The Doors, Botnick, or Rhino, and The Doors' wishes will carry the day, but we all work well together as a team.

Look, of COURSE we want to please our fans, and ESPECIALLY our hardcore fans. You guys spread the word to everyone else, and without your support, we'd be much less of a musical force for the next generations. We want to do the right thing. We want to take care whomever deserves it, and we want the absolute best quality products out in the marketplace. So, of course we will investigate this, but personally, I am in the dark about what went on throughout the years, so I can only speak about 2003-onward. And I think some of YOU are in the dark, too - it's just going to be a process of finding out which of these claims and contentions are fact, and which are not. Never easy! And, while we're at it, are not some of YOU who are complaining also bootleggers? Do not some of you trade, circulate and in other ways "barter" recordings that are copyrighted, owned by The Doors, but never pay them? Are YOU without any sin here? Seems like SOME of you (not all of you) are living in all-glass houses. You're all "good guys" and we're "bad guys" because you perceive us to be doing something you don't like or approve of? I'd only ask from you the same forbearance, patience, understanding and support regarding the issues you've raised, as we give YOU regarding the issues of trading, selling and otherwise circulating tapes containing copyrighted performances you never sought permission for, paid for, or even gave us a vote on. And I have yet to see one cent in royalties from any of you for the purloined tapes you freely sell/barter/distribute - and some even attempt to do it under our own noses, right here in our home! Have you EVER heard me say one thing about it? No! I don't. I turn the other cheek. I understand, and I don't think you're being asses. I just think you're big fans, and so I am happy you're getting enjoyment from Doors music.

For now, we have what we have, and it has been released, in accordance with the wishes of The Doors, Botnick, Rhino, and me. A lot of people love it, some don't, some hate the very idea of us releasing anything less than the best quality in existence, and some don't care. Again, there are vastly differing views. In addition to being The Doors' manager, I'm an audiophile personally, so if there ARE existing obtainable master tapes of a better quality that we can release - and that the fans want, of course I'm going to explore that, for BOTH reasons!

So, for now, the bottom line is that we will research and look into much of what has been raised. In the meantime, as always, anyone is free to buy this release, or not buy it, according to each individual's wishes. It's only rock 'n roll here, folks, not nuclear war.

I'll let you know what we find out pending further investigation."
Los Angeles, CA

Jeff,

Now that it's 8 months later and you have investigated and subsequently purchased the original master Matrix recordings from original recording engineer Peter Abram, which include 16 minutes of never before heard music, how about an update for the fans as you promised in your November post above?

Will the complete Matrix recordings now be issued on CD?

Thanks.

#8 Cocaine

Cocaine

• Registered Users
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE (hardrockcafe @ Aug 4 2009, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jeff,

Now that it's 8 months later and you have investigated and subsequently purchased the original master Matrix recordings from original recording engineer Peter Abram, which include 16 minutes of never before heard music, how about an update for the fans as you promised in your November post above?

Thanks.

It will never happen, just like he said about releasing a box set of the Felt Forum shows back in 07, it never happened. Jeff likes tell the fans what they want to hear then he disappears leaving the fans hanging. Jeff, why don't you stop BSing people about releasing something your not, Its bad karma to lie to the fans, especially to all the hardcore Doors fans out there that spend big money on Doors merchandise, without them, you would have no job!

#9 GaragePoet2001

GaragePoet2001

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE (Cocaine @ Aug 4 2009, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It will never happen, just like he said about releasing a box set of the Felt Forum shows back in 07, it never happened. Jeff likes tell the fans what they want to hear then he disappears leaving the fans hanging. Jeff, why don't you stop BSing people about releasing something your not, Its bad karma to lie to the fans, especially to all the hardcore Doors fans out there that spend big money on Doors merchandise, without them, you would have no job!

dude, you're 4 posts in and this is what you're perpetuating?? we don't need you here... seriously....

#10 Doorsmanagement

Doorsmanagement

Yo, 'sup?

• Members
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE (hardrockcafe @ Aug 4 2009, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jeff,

Thanks.

Yes, they will.

#11 Labrador Retiever

Labrador Retiever

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE (Doorsmanagement @ Aug 10 2009, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, they will.

Thanks Jeff for the update and the great news!

#12 MistyJm

MistyJm

• Registered Users
  • 170 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:43 AM

Exactly great news. Keeps my Doors motor running. wub.gif
You are problaby not gonna answer this Jeff, but I can always try right? tongue.gif Any news on a time when it's going to be released?
Your heart is your home, and all roads lead to home.

#13 Doorsmanagement

Doorsmanagement

Yo, 'sup?

• Members
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:46 AM

QUOTE (MistyJm @ Aug 10 2009, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Exactly great news. Keeps my Doors motor running. wub.gif
You are problaby not gonna answer this Jeff, but I can always try right? tongue.gif Any news on a time when it's going to be released?

I'd guess 1st or 2nd Quarter next year, prob more likely the 1st Quarter.

#14 MistyJm

MistyJm

• Registered Users
  • 170 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:22 AM

QUOTE (Doorsmanagement @ Aug 11 2009, 06:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is fantastic news. smile.gif And of course thank you for answering Jeff. I appreciate it. wink.gif

Your heart is your home, and all roads lead to home.

#15 hardrockcafe

hardrockcafe

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE (Doorsmanagement @ Aug 10 2009, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, they will.

Thanks Jeff.

#16 antero

antero

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:24 PM

smile.gif
QUOTE (Doorsmanagement @ Aug 11 2009, 12:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks a lot for this update and i hope that release date isn't going to pushed like the felt Forum Boxset.
I'm really excited and almost tearfully awaiting for the Matrix masters...thanks again and my best wishes for you and BMA
Please release the IOW in Blu-ray/DVD and the Matrix Abram's Masters Tapes!!!

#17 gammons peter

gammons peter

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:52 PM

Welcome back Jeff, you have been missed

#18 daniel@falaschi.net

daniel@falaschi.net

• Registered Users
  • 298 posts
  • Interests:Music<br />Outdoors sports<br />Geology

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:20 PM

Jeff thanks por reapearing here. Im also glad to hear about teh matrix masters comming out not too later on. Now you must have realized that the matrix-gate could have been perfectly avoidable.
thanks.
Bring back the Q&A thread!

#19 barison

barison

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE (daniel@falaschi.net @ Aug 11 2009, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now you must have realized that the matrix-gate could have been perfectly avoidable.

Was that really necessary? Could you just forget about it and just say thanks? I'm gettin' tired of your constant bitchin' which is, now, irrelevant.

Matrix will be released, the REAL DEAL. There. You happy? Now move on and stop being a prick.

Edited by barison, 11 August 2009 - 10:25 PM.

#20 daniel@falaschi.net

daniel@falaschi.net

• Registered Users
  • 298 posts
  • Interests:Music<br />Outdoors sports<br />Geology

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE (barison @ Aug 11 2009, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Was that really necessary? Could you just forget about it and just say thanks? I'm gettin' tired of your constant bitchin' which is, now, irrelevant.

Matrix will be released, the REAL DEAL. There. You happy? Now move on and stop being a prick.

Ok Ok ypu are right. Too sensitive.
Bring back the Q&A thread!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users