Photo

Why did Jim Morrison stop wearing leather?

40 replies to this topic

#1 Naya

Naya

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:07 PM

After some time Jim Morrison stopped wearing leather. Was this a move to show a different Jim in court, showing obedience to authority or what?

Edited by Naya, 28 October 2010 - 08:19 PM.

#2 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts
  • Interests:Politics; History (Medieval English, Victorian English and American, esp. William Bonney/Lincoln County War); Permaculture; Mexican and Moroccan Folk Art and Vernacular Architecture

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:57 PM

Posted Image

From 1969 on Jim Morrison stopped wearing leather. Was this a shallow move to show a different Jim in court, showing obedience to authority and "killing" the rebel, or what?
What is your input?

Absolutely not. Jim was never shallow, nor did he ever "show obedience to authority," nor did he "kill the rebel," because rebellion was the very heart and soul of the man.

He simply outgrew the leather, both literally and figuratively, that's all. He called the photographs from his earlier, rock star persona his "cheap starlet" pictures, and did everything he could to undermine that image.

Didn't work, though, I'm happy to say, Posted Image because despite the beard and the beer belly, he was still so damned gorgeous most of the time it nearly stopped one's heart to look at him. I myself spent a lot of time staring at him (as discreetly as I could) because I couldn't figure out how someone who looked like that in person could take such godawful photographs so much of the time.

I've come to realize that it's pretty common, though. Most people--celebrities or not--look much better in person than they do in photographs.
I still believe in the Cosmic Giggle, even if Rolling Stone doesn't any more.

#3 Roughie

Roughie

Rider on the Boards

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  • Interests:Writing, film making, photography, comedy, horses, music.

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:00 PM

Absolutely not. Jim was never shallow, nor did he ever "show obedience to authority," nor did he "kill the rebel," because rebellion was the very heart and soul of the man.

He simply outgrew the leather, both literally and figuratively, that's all. He called the photographs from his earlier, rock star persona his "cheap starlet" pictures, and did everything he could to undermine that image.

Didn't work, though, I'm happy to say, Posted Image because despite the beard and the beer belly, he was still so damned gorgeous most of the time it nearly stopped one's heart to look at him. I myself spent a lot of time staring at him (as discreetly as I could) because I couldn't figure out how someone who looked like that in person could take such godawful photographs so much of the time.

I've come to realize that it's pretty common, though. Most people--celebrities or not--look much better in person than they do in photographs.

And there are those who look better in photos or on film too!
The Down, Across & Up DVD is now available. It is a multi-region DVD. The DVD and book are available through our website.

www.downacrossup.com

www.purplesheep.co.nz

#4 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts
  • Interests:Politics; History (Medieval English, Victorian English and American, esp. William Bonney/Lincoln County War); Permaculture; Mexican and Moroccan Folk Art and Vernacular Architecture

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:13 PM

And there are those who look better in photos or on film too!

Mostly because of makeup and lighting, though. Everything else being equal, most of us look better in person. You, on the other hand, are just naturally glamorous, you swine... Posted Image

#5 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:13 PM

Sorry--double post.

Edited by mizscarlett43, 25 September 2010 - 11:15 PM.

#6 DESIREE777

DESIREE777

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:51 AM

Posted Image

From 1969 on Jim Morrison stopped wearing leather. Was this a shallow move to show a different Jim in court, showing obedience to authority and "killing" the rebel, or what?
What is your input?

I think the price of leather skyrocketed after 1969. Chinos and a button down shirt were cheaper. Posted Image

Edited by DESIREE777, 26 September 2010 - 12:53 AM.

#7 super8monsters

super8monsters

• Registered Users
  • 727 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:57 AM

Posted Image

What is your input?

With the beer belly and the beard, it was a self conscious move on Jim Morrison's part to dump the leather trousers after someone remarked, "You look like a cow in those pants". Jim then looked at himself in Pam's full-length mirror and asked the inevitable question all rock stars secretly ask themselves - "Do these pants make me look fat?" And that hit of LSD he took prior probably didn't help either as he took the remark literally - that he felt like a cow instead of a lizard or a leopard in his pants. Even his stinky boots began to irritate him. And those hippies. They mocked him in the parking lot, in his anti-hippie clothes. Furs and leather. And Jim sang out to them "I want to hear the scream of the cow...."

#8 DESIREE777

DESIREE777

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:02 AM

With the beer belly and the beard, it was a self conscious move on Jim Morrison's part to dump the leather trousers after someone remarked, "You look like a cow in those pants". Jim then looked at himself in Pam's full-length mirror and asked the inevitable question all rock stars secretly ask themselves - "Do these pants make me look fat?" And that hit of LSD he took prior probably didn't help either as he took the remark literally - that he felt like a cow instead of a lizard or a leopard in his pants. Even his stinky boots began to irritate him. And those hippies. They mocked him in the parking lot, in his anti-hippie clothes. Furs and leather. And Jim sang out to them "I want to hear the scream of the cow...."

LMFAO! Posted Image

#9 Moe Joe

Moe Joe

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:09 AM

Well said! All I can do is look at that picture and say Sha baby! I love animals too. lol
He who is a legend in his own time is ruled by that legend.
-Victor Hugo
Music-To blast away confusion, drown out frustration and burn away loneliness. To dance, shout and scream.
Dance on fire!

#10 Roughie

Roughie

Rider on the Boards

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:05 AM

Mostly because of makeup and lighting, though. Everything else being equal, most of us look better in person. You, on the other hand, are just naturally glamorous, you swine... Posted Image

Very true, lighting and make-up can help a lot, and yes most of us do look better in person. The only people who are truely ugly in this world are the ones with ugly personalities!

Oh and yes I am VERY glamorous! lol B) And you're not too bad yourself! ;)
The Down, Across & Up DVD is now available. It is a multi-region DVD. The DVD and book are available through our website.

www.downacrossup.com

www.purplesheep.co.nz

#11 Naya

Naya

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:03 PM

Well said! All I can do is look at that picture and say Sha baby! I love animals too. lol

Consciousness rising

One more question, the "lizard" suit - was it Jim's idea or Pam's?

#12 Shebang

Shebang

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • Interests:LEATHER PANTS

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:36 PM

Consciousness rising

One more question, the "lizard" suit - was it Jim's idea or Pam's?

Neither. Jim's leather clothes were all designed and made by Jim's friend and tailor January Jansen, who worked out of San Francisco. January was the exact same size as Jim, so Jim didn't even need to go up there for fittings.

#13 Naya

Naya

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:15 PM

Neither. Jim's leather clothes were all designed and made by Jim's friend and tailor January Jansen, who worked out of San Francisco. January was the exact same size as Jim, so Jim didn't even need to go up there for fittings.

Jim followed, you mean. The idea for a snake skin suit was January's. And wearing leather was also January's idea.
Jim Morrison image was not his choice after all, it was all January's.

Thank you for the info.

Edited by Naya, 26 September 2010 - 09:43 PM.

#14 Roughie

Roughie

Rider on the Boards

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:56 PM

Jim followed, you mean. The idea for a snake skin suit was January's. And wearing leather was also January's idea.

Thank you for the info.

Jim still chose to wear them, and he often would tell January what he wanted!

www.downacrossup.com

www.purplesheep.co.nz

#15 Shebang

Shebang

• Members
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:09 PM

Thank you for the info.

I didn't say that. Jim asked January to design and tailor the leather pants after seeing other performers wear them onstage. Jim liked the look of the tight leather. So the idea for leather was Jim's, but the ideas for the styling and types of leather (or snakeskin, etc) was January's. Please see page 190 from the Davis book:

Posted Image

#16 jlo

jlo

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:14 PM

i googled january jensen and found this...the videos are interesting to watch.

in the second video january talks about making jim's leather pants and he recounts the story of how jim said he wanted a pair of leather pants while he and january were walking down santa monica blvd. this story differs, though, from the page that shebang attached. january says that jim wanted the pants to look real, not like "unborn linoleum".

http://johnnyjet.com...ensen-2010.html

Edited by jlo, 26 September 2010 - 10:32 PM.

...no time to wallow in the mire...

#17 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:44 PM

Thank you for the info.

Jim Morrison never followed. He was a born leader, and leaders--you know--lead.

Remind me--which Doors' insider was it who said that nothing was ever done that Jim Morrison didn't want done?

Your idea of Jim is quite skewed, and you seem to have an agenda. Mind telling us what it is?

#18 circles

circles

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:43 PM

I don't think Naya has an agenda.

anyway plenty of people were wearing leather before/around the same time as Jim started. I read in a couple bios (NOHGOA and Break on Through at least) that Ronnie Harron told Jim to start wearing the leathers, something as silly and inconsequential as a someone giving Jim fashion tips, or Jim seeing someone like January or Arthur Lee wearing leathers and liking the idea, hardly makes someone a "follower" imo

Edited by circles, 26 September 2010 - 11:45 PM.

here we are now entertain us

#19 super8monsters

super8monsters

• Registered Users
  • 727 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:58 AM

Someone said Jim stole the idea from that Warhol guy, who wore leather trousers, when he saw him perform or something. And that the guy still complains about it today, Jim stole my pants! And my career! bla bla bla

And Jim also wore an unborn seal skin jacket, I think. Must consult the oracle of Davis on that one. Or was that in NOHGOA? The part about the baby seals clothing.

btw, in WYS, I laughed at the scenes of Jim sloshing around in his leather pants in the water hole thinking - he's bathing, laundering, and dressed all at the same time.

#20 Shebang

Shebang

• Members
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:58 PM

I am sorry that you misinterpreted my original answer. My apologies for trying to be fully informative.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users