Photo

Someday Soon

16 replies to this topic

#1 laurel_canyon

laurel_canyon

• Moderators
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 12:49 AM

Come on surviving Doors, we need you guys to get into the studio with one of Jim's vocals and turn this incredible song into a legitimate studio release.

Anyone with me? B)

#2 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 02:16 AM

Come on surviving Doors, we need you guys to get into the studio with one of Jim's vocals and turn this incredible song into a legitimate studio release.

Anyone with me? B)

It would certainly be interesting. It's a great song. It's been rumored that a studio version exists, but I doubt it. They probably would have released it by now. I doubt that they would hold onto it for 40 years. The biggest obstacle to your suggestion is getting Ray, Robby and John into the studio together or even getting them to agree to do it. I suppose that if they were to agree to do it, they could record their parts separately. It worked out well with Orange County Suite.

#3 laurel_canyon

laurel_canyon

• Moderators
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:43 AM

That's true. They all know their parts. I doubt it will happen, but if it did it would be fantastic. I mean, the three remaining still consider themselves as Doors. And with Jim's vocals, they would be as complete a unit as is possible.

#4 Hamlet

Hamlet

• Members
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:36 AM

I agree. it´s one of my all time favourites of The Doors.
we´s just joy-ridin´

#5 laurel_canyon

laurel_canyon

• Moderators
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:44 AM

I feel the same way. It's a diamond in the rough... all it needs is a good polish and it'll be out of this world!

#6 Just Another Dark Witness

Just Another Dark Witness

I'm hiding THE BLUE BUS.... In my pants!

• Members
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:19 PM

In all reality guys, can't we admit that they contain about the worst Morrison lyrics ever written by Jim? Not his best lyrics people...
Fish heads fish heads, roly poly fish heads...... Eat them up, yum....

#7 laurel_canyon

laurel_canyon

• Moderators
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:28 PM

They *are* different, I'll admit... :lol:

#8 veg

veg

Workin' on the Night Shift

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:12 PM

I feel the same way. It's a diamond in the rough... all it needs is a good polish and it'll be out of this world!

Great song, agreed, but I'm not with you on this one.

Recording it with the rest of the Doors would be like the so-called "Beatles" recording of Free as a Bird. Not exactly remembered with the same fondness as Let it Be or Hey Jude

How could we see it as a Doors recording, with the vocals recorded 40 years before the drums, keys and guitar?

When I think of the Doors recordings I think of them recording together, as a band, drunk, stoned, crazy, having fun, throwing TVs, in that funky little studio.

Recording now would be... artifical... manufactured... even ghoulish maybe.

I prefer the 'diamond in the rough' we've got. It's real.

Edited by veg, 21 October 2010 - 10:13 PM.

* I am a vegetarian because I hate plants, not because I love animals *

#9 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:01 PM

Recording it with the rest of the Doors would be like the so-called "Beatles" recording of Free as a Bird. Not exactly remembered with the same fondness as Let it Be or Hey Jude

How could we see it as a Doors recording, with the vocals recorded 40 years before the drums, keys and guitar?

When I think of the Doors recordings I think of them recording together, as a band, drunk, stoned, crazy, having fun, throwing TVs, in that funky little studio.

They've already done it with Orange County Suite. According to Bruce Botnick, the TV throwing incident never actually happened.

BRUCE BOTNICK I’ll tell you one thing: Jim did not throw my TV through the control room window. He knocked it over, and I really believe even that was an accident. I still have the little TV, so I know. Everyone remembers this great big scene, but it did not happen. If the control room window had been shattered, I would know, believe me. It would have stopped the session dead in its tracks. (The Doors Of Perception - Guitar World - July 2 2008)

#10 Roughie

Roughie

Rider on the Boards

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  • Interests:Writing, film making, photography, comedy, horses, music.

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:48 PM

My rebuttal... American Prayer Album... enough said!
The Down, Across & Up DVD is now available. It is a multi-region DVD. The DVD and book are available through our website.

www.downacrossup.com

www.purplesheep.co.nz

#11 Crimson_King

Crimson_King

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • Location:This sh*t town called Escondido, California (trash scattered everywhere!)
  • Interests:French Philosophy, poetry, psychology, sociology, hermeneutics, semiotics, cinema, sleeping.....and (right now) Doors, Steely Dan, Talking Heads, King Crimson-Fripp, Yes, Jethro Tull, Eno, Roxy Music, Bruford, etc......even, yes, The Monkees!

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:52 PM

First of all, I disagree that the lyrics to Someday Soon are poor......I think with that song Morrison was more concerned about the SOUND of the syllables going along with the melody....as well as evoking some kind of warped set of images.

Now, a studio version of Someday Soon? It would sound HORRIBLE. The only sources for the existence of the song are BOOTLEGS recorded by audience members, at least as far as we know.

Can you REALLY imagine Ray, Robby, and John's crisp clear instruments set to a scratchy, muffled, distorted bootleg-quality of Jim's Voice? C'mon people!
"Naked we come, Bruised we go.....Nude pastry for the slow soft worms below" - JDM

#12 laurel_canyon

laurel_canyon

• Moderators
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:46 AM

I agree with that, CC. And he doesn't really sound the best on those bootlegs either. I was kind of wishing or imagining they might have a good copy somewhere.

Roughie you're right about that, the guys did a great job on An American Prayer.

#13 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:02 AM

I guess some of my fellow Doors fans don't collect the BMA albums. They performed in Pittsburgh in 1970. It's a soundboard recording.

#14 laurel_canyon

laurel_canyon

• Moderators
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 05:51 AM

I've heard this... it's fairly loose. But I think it's more the instruments that are the loose part. Jim sounds pretty good, and like you said it's a soundboard recording.

#15 Crimson_King

Crimson_King

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • Location:This sh*t town called Escondido, California (trash scattered everywhere!)
  • Interests:French Philosophy, poetry, psychology, sociology, hermeneutics, semiotics, cinema, sleeping.....and (right now) Doors, Steely Dan, Talking Heads, King Crimson-Fripp, Yes, Jethro Tull, Eno, Roxy Music, Bruford, etc......even, yes, The Monkees!

Posted 23 October 2010 - 07:06 AM

hi encuentro,

I'm poor...worth about 13 dollars right now, so I cannot buy Bright Midnight releases....but I'll take your word for it! :)

I guess some of my fellow Doors fans don't collect the BMA albums. They performed in Pittsburgh in 1970. It's a soundboard recording.

ok, i just listened to the Pittsburgh recording.....EXCELLENT!

Fuck any requests or desire for a so-called "studio version" of it

.......Someday Soon from Pissburgh SHUTS the DOOR on any other version....the whole WORLD should hear it.....I will make that clip go VIRAL, YEEAAAHHHH!

......let's just live with that concert version.....I take my comments back and retract them all

.....THANKS Encuentro! You obviously own something I don't....too bad for me! :(

Sincerely,
CrimsonKing

Edited by Crimson_King, 23 October 2010 - 07:16 AM.

"Naked we come, Bruised we go.....Nude pastry for the slow soft worms below" - JDM

#16 veg

veg

Workin' on the Night Shift

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:03 AM

I don't think of American Prayer as a "Doors" album either. I'm not a great fan of it.

Like I said in my earlier post, when I think of the Doors recordings I think of them recording together. I agree with Encuentro; I think the Pittburgh version is great. I don't need more. I can understand the desire for more Doors music (which uber-fan wouldn't?) but I'm not rooting for a manufactured studio version recorded 40 years after Jim's vocals were laid down.
* I am a vegetarian because I hate plants, not because I love animals *

#17 avp2027

avp2027

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:23 AM

The only sources for the existence of the song are BOOTLEGS recorded by audience members, at least as far as we know.

There are two sources for Someday Soon, both are professional recordings and one of them is officially released.. The Pittsburgh '70 recording, as you already know, is a multitrack soundboard recording and was released by Bright Midnight several years ago. The Seattle '70 recording of the song was professionally recorded by Vince Treanor with personal equipment, the same equipment used in the upcoming Live In Vancouver release from the next day's concert.. Neither are bootlegs.

Edited by avp2027, 01 November 2010 - 12:24 AM.

"It's still alive inside of me." - Little Steven

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users