Photo

GREAT NEWS ON LA WOMAN DELUXE!

1418 replies to this topic

#1 manboob

manboob

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:03 PM

Oh wait there is no news or info?? crickets..........

#2 Just Another Dark Witness

Just Another Dark Witness

I'm hiding THE BLUE BUS.... In my pants!

• Members
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:37 AM

Down On The Farm sounds pretty good. Too bad they only had 4 minutes of Paris Blues though...... Jim singing on In The Eye Of The Sun and Get Up & Dance was a nice surprise, especially the end vamp with Mick Jagger singing with Jim and Hendrix on guest lead guitar......
Fish heads fish heads, roly poly fish heads...... Eat them up, yum....

#3 The Royal Sperm

The Royal Sperm

Devil Sperm

• Members
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:57 AM

Oh wait there is no news or info?? crickets..........

ha ha ha.
Waiting for the Big Fat Black Complete Matrix Box Set!

#4 Doorsmanagement

Doorsmanagement

Yo, 'sup?

• Members
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:30 AM

L.A. WOMAN: 40TH ANNIVERSARY OVERVIEW
Rhino and The Doors are marking the 40th Anniversary of The Doors' L.A. Woman with a global campaign that will celebrate the band and this seminal album.
The campaign was launched this April with the highly-coveted Record Store Day exclusive release of the "Riders On The Storm" 7" vinyl. It will continue to be unveiled throughout the year with a series of special announcements, media exposure and commemorations building to a major product release event in November. Fans will be able to experience
L.A. Woman as never before through an innovative mix of App, CD, DVD, and vinyl formats, providing compelling unreleased content and new contextual insight into this landmark album.

THE RELEASES
L.A. Woman: 40th Anniversary Edition CD
2CD reissue of the original album, remastered, with an additional disc of bonus material.
Disc two contains previously unreleased alternate versions of songs featured on the original album along with studio chatter by the band from the recording sessions. Liner notes written by David Fricke, Sr. Editor of Rolling Stone magazine, and original album producer Bruce Botnick.

L.A. Woman: 40th Anniversary Edition Vinyl
An alternate take on LA WOMAN, featuring the previously unreleased alternate versions of songs and studio chatter found on the 40th anniversary edition. Pressed on 180-gram heavy vinyl at RTI, with lacquers cut at Bernie Grundman Mastering.

L.A. Woman: Super-deluxe CD edition
4-CD set, Direct-To-Consumer product sold via thedoors.com. For the super-fan who still loves extensive "Rhino" - like packaging, this product will contain the rich editorial content used in the App, plus additional photos, studio outtakes & banter.
L.A. Woman: 40th Anniversary Edition App
A redefining of the album reissue using today's most current technology. The App is a companion piece to the album -- a rich editorial narrative establishing the context of the time & place (Los Angeles, 1971) that tells the story of the dynamic creative process leading up to the album, its recording, and release. Writers include David Fricke, Bruce Botnick, Holly George-Warren, Michael Ventura, Barney Hoskyns, and Kristan McKenna.
App content description Some (just SOME) of the Editorial Topics:
  • Setting The Scene - Los Angeles in 1971
  • The Place: Los Angeles/Venice the city and its landmarks
  • 1971 the Culture and Counter-culture. The impact of the time, the impact of the album
  • The people: aka "cast of characters" involved in the creation of the album
  • L.A. Woman album overview track-by-track
  • The recording sessions/technical background/the creative process
Some (just SOME) of the additional features - more to be revealed:
  • Song lyrics
  • Each topic will have accompanying photos and graphics, appropriately themed.
  • Never-released session recordings false starts, countdowns, band members talking, jamming. There are also 150-200 photos taken in studio during these sessions. Using this content, we recreate the "in the studio with the band" experience.
  • Audio and/or video interviews with John Densmore, Robby Krieger, Ray Manzarek, Bruce Botnick, Jac Holzman, Bill Siddons, Marc Benno, and Jerry Scheff.
  • Within the narrative text, song references will include sound-samples of the specific track or reference within the track.
  • Within the narrative text, photos will be included of people & places referenced.
  • Pop-up surprise "enhanced content" (photo, artwork or audio) that appear based on iPad orientation (Landscape or Portrait).
  • Memorabilia/ephemera from the band, including handwritten lyrics from Morrison.
  • Original album reviews and press reprints, Rolling Stone, et al.
  • Never-before-seen handwritten (and hand-notated) interview piece Danny Sugerman conducted with band and Siddons circa 1970.
  • Transcript of Morrison interview circa 1971.
  • Links to thedoors.com , social media, rhino.com .
  • Geo-mapping of the landmarks/places mentioned in accompanying essays.
Mr. Mojo Risin': The Story Of L.A. Woman (DVD and Television Program)
Release Date: October 2011
Format(s): Standard DVD / Blu-Ray / Digital Version (i.e. iTunes)
Show Synopsis
Featuring exclusive interviews with Ray Manzarek, John Densmore, Robby Kreiger and their closest colleagues and collaborators, exclusive performance, archive footage and examination of the original multi track recording tapes with Producer Bruce Botnick, this film will tell the amazing story of this landmark album by one of the most influential bands on the planet.

Interviewees
John Densmore
Ray Manzarek
Robby Krieger
Bill Siddons - Manager at time
Bruce Botnick Producer/Engineer
Jac Holzman CEO, Elektra Records
Michael McClure - Friend of Morrison, and poet
Ben Fong-Torres - Journalist who had one of the last interviews with Morrison
Frank Lisciandro - Filmmaker and friend
Jim Ladd - LA Radio DJ and Doors fan.
David Fricke Rolling Stone Senior Editor

#5 DoorsFanPeter

DoorsFanPeter

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:49 AM

Hardcore tape collectors do have have access to vintage Rothschild audio interviews from Doors documentary radio shows.

His perspective is a vital piece of the LAW album recording process.

Edited by DoorsFanPeter, 28 June 2011 - 09:53 AM.

#6 Pats Radio

Pats Radio

Senior

• Members
  • 985 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:42 AM

Great news Jeff, questions, so many questions...

1. When does pre-order go up for Super Delux 4-CD edition and is it a limited edition, numbered or not????

2. Paris Blues, is ANY of the :40 sec or so going to be on either 2-CD or 4-CD editions???

3. When does the app go up for sale???

4. Vinyl Album when is that going up for sale???

5. Artwork??? Will both editions have the LAW cover or will the 4-CD artwork be different????? Any pics to show us if they are different???

Lastly, any thoughts of doing a LAW 40th T-shirt for the summmmmaaaaaaaaaa?????

Thanks for the info Jeff, appreciate it BIG time. Awesome news, can't wait to see what 's in the 4-CD pkg.

Pats Radio

:D
Well that's New York for ya. The only people that rush the stage are guys. - Jim

#7 hardrockcafe

hardrockcafe

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:33 PM

Jeff: What is the musical content of the 4 CDs in the Super Deluxe Edition? What does it include that's not in the 2CD set?

#8 Shine

Shine

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:03 PM

This is brilliant Jeff. Can you confirm the DVD will be for all regions (Ireland)?
I am really excited with this.

Thank you thank you from Ireland (bankrupt ireland) haha

#9 DoorsFanPeter

DoorsFanPeter

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:12 PM

Does any audio of Jim discussing the album or any of it's songs exist? Even Jim talking about his love for the blues would be welcome.

#10 daniel@falaschi.net

daniel@falaschi.net

• Registered Users
  • 298 posts
  • Interests:Music<br />Outdoors sports<br />Geology

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:16 PM

What is an APP?
Bring back the Q&A thread!

#11 Shine

Shine

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:54 PM

What is an APP?

Apple Application

#12 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:53 AM

Does any audio of Jim discussing the album or any of it's songs exist? Even Jim talking about his love for the blues would be welcome.

Yes, he discusses the album in his interview with Ben Fong-Torres.

#13 crazyhorse80

crazyhorse80

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:44 PM

Jeff: What is the musical content of the 4 CDs in the Super Deluxe Edition? What does it include that's not in the 2CD set?

I was wondering the same thing. I can't imagine 2 more discs of studio chatter being worthy of a "super deluxe" release, so maybe this is where we'll find "Down on the Farm" or "Paris Blues" if they actually exist and are going to be released. Or, who knows, 2 discs are usually the norm for the Bright Midnight live releases--Dallas or New Orleans anyone?? Or they might throw in the live versions of songs from this album that have been issued on previous Bright Midnight records ("Been Down So Long," "Texas Radio," "Cars Hiss By My Window" and "Crawling King Snake")...

Anyhow, anyway, can't wait to see and hear this release with whatever they've got in store...

#14 tombstoneroad

tombstoneroad

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:01 PM

Excellent!! I can't wait! I will order the vinyl as well as I love vinyl. But I do wonder about the 4 CD set. If they did actually record versions of OV & FC songs that they rehearsed with Jim (Ray and Robby have indicated over the decades they rehearsed some of these tunes with Jim), these should be included.

#15 tombstoneroad

tombstoneroad

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:06 PM

Also curious about pre-order dates. I'm sure many of us would love to have the opportunity to pre-order whenever possible!

#16 The Royal Sperm

The Royal Sperm

Devil Sperm

• Members
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:40 PM

Indeed, dates will be great to know

but, i really want to talk about numbers, i would like to know it

and if it is possible Jeff, please do something with the excessive shipping charges of Music Today, please!
Waiting for the Big Fat Black Complete Matrix Box Set!

#17 hardrockcafe

hardrockcafe

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:45 AM

I was wondering the same thing. I can't imagine 2 more discs of studio chatter being worthy of a "super deluxe" release, so maybe this is where we'll find "Down on the Farm" or "Paris Blues" if they actually exist and are going to be released. Or, who knows, 2 discs are usually the norm for the Bright Midnight live releases--Dallas or New Orleans anyone?? Or they might throw in the live versions of songs from this album that have been issued on previous Bright Midnight records ("Been Down So Long," "Texas Radio," "Cars Hiss By My Window" and "Crawling King Snake")...

Anyhow, anyway, can't wait to see and hear this release with whatever they've got in store...

I hope discs 3 & 4 don't end up only being a cash-in let down like reissuing the LA Woman remix (issued first on DVD-A in 2000 and later in the Perception Box in 2006, then as a stand alone CD in 2007) and the Ben Fong Torres interview, respectively.

#18 BallroomDays67

BallroomDays67

• Members
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:34 PM

If possible, it would be cool to include some signatures with the "super-deluxe" edition. In addition to RR&J, perhaps Bruce and Jac could sign either the booklet or a separate insert.

#19 Pats Radio

Pats Radio

Senior

• Members
  • 985 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:00 PM

Hey Jeff, just curious but what is this?????

http://cgi.ebay.com/...674040690406142

Pats Radio

B)
Well that's New York for ya. The only people that rush the stage are guys. - Jim

#20 Doorsmanagement

Doorsmanagement

Yo, 'sup?

• Members
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:32 PM

Hey Jeff, just curious but what is this?????

http://cgi.ebay.com/...674040690406142

Pats Radio

B)

It's a slipcase of all 6 Doors studio albums' 40th Anniversary Mixes - for European NTR market only, for a short window limited run ("NTR" is non-traditional retail, i.e. supermarkets, clothing stores, etc.).
The 40th Anniversary Mixes will be going away at the end of this year, and we have a coupla "things" up our sleeve for next year(!)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users