London Fog Recording!!

345 replies to this topic

#1 green_hotel

green_hotel

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:I collect vintage light-fixtures and shoe-shining paraphernalia

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:29 PM

I guess consensual understanding is that by opposite (to L.A. Woman) means you got something from the early period.

Studio or live?

If live, the wish list is extensive covering early, multiple shows from legendary venues: Whisky-a-go-go, Avallon Ballroom, The Fillmores, Steve Paul the scene, Ondine, etc. Especially the first three there are known recordings from other bands. The existence of a recording of any of these shows would be explosive in The Doors world. A massive, wonderful explosion :) . I hope what you have is really something great but this does mean we can have another delay on the release of the Matrix shows?

If studio, who knows...

Any plans to reveal more about this?

it's live recordings from the London Fog!! Ok, so no one will probably believe me, but when I saw Manzarek & Krieger at the Regency Ballroom in San Francisco last night, Robby announced early during the show (before they played Crawling King Snake) he said "We recently got hold of some recordings of the London Fog shows and we did lots of blues songs during those shows in our early days...they'll be released later this year" which maybe not this year? who knows?

And Ray said the L.A. Woman stuff would be coming out by October...

of course, for me, hearing that the recordings from the London Fog exist..that was the highlight for me, holy shit, I still can't believe it..definitely the complete opposite of L.A. Woman, as Jeff said...

Edited by green_hotel, 21 August 2011 - 06:36 PM.

"Down in Albion..."  -Pete Doherty

#2 tombstoneroad

tombstoneroad

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:55 PM

With all the shows the Doors played at the Whisky, the London Fog then Ondine's and the Fillmore, I find it impossible that at least one performance wasnt recorded. So, if this is true, that would be awesome to hear!

#3 green_hotel

green_hotel

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:06 PM

With all the shows the Doors played at the Whisky, the London Fog then Ondine's and the Fillmore, I find it impossible that at least one performance wasnt recorded. So, if this is true, that would be awesome to hear!

it's gotta be true about the London Fog show(s) recordings...Robby himself announced it last night...

#4 Hamlet

Hamlet

• Members
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:06 PM

of course, for me, hearing that the recordings from the London Fog exist..that was the highlight for me, holy shit, I still can't believe it..

A recording from the London Fog? how is that even possible?

Sounds too good...
we´s just joy-ridin´

#5 green_hotel

green_hotel

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:30 PM

A recording from the London Fog? how is that even possible?

Sounds too good...

I still can't believe it, but hearing Robby announce it...I was stunned...should be amazing to finally hear it when it is released...

#6 Hamlet

Hamlet

• Members
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:36 PM

- Too hot to handle, if you ask me!

When you say you saw Manzarek/Krieger, what do you mean? Are they the only two on the stage?
we´s just joy-ridin´

#7 Pats Radio

Pats Radio

Senior

• Members
  • 985 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:56 PM

Edited by Pats Radio, 23 March 2013 - 12:08 PM.

Well that's New York for ya. The only people that rush the stage are guys. - Jim

#8 Morning Glory

Morning Glory

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 331 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:05 PM

I love how Ray, Robby and John just announce stuff anywhere but it takes us weeks to get any info here which to me makes ZERO sense. WE'RE YOU'RE HARD CORE FANS, WE SHOULD KNOW THESE THINGS RIGHT AWAY. THIS TOP SECRET CIA STUFF JUST TURNS ME OFF BEYOND WORDS. There's no need for it period. Sorry, but that's how I feel.

Pats Radio

:angry:

This is not just about HC fans but also The Doors fans. I would think there's a need for a marketing strategy, to increase interest therefore the sales. Possibly even receive interest from fans who do not buy every BMA release. Just my two cents. :)

#9 green_hotel

green_hotel

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:01 PM

- Too hot to handle, if you ask me!

When you say you saw Manzarek/Krieger, what do you mean? Are they the only two on the stage?

It was them with Dave Brock on vocals and a drummer (Ty Dennis?) and bass player...

#10 green_hotel

green_hotel

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:05 PM

I love how Ray, Robby and John just announce stuff anywhere but it takes us weeks to get any info here which to me makes ZERO sense. WE'RE YOU'RE HARD CORE FANS, WE SHOULD KNOW THESE THINGS RIGHT AWAY. THIS TOP SECRET CIA STUFF JUST TURNS ME OFF BEYOND WORDS. There's no need for it period. Sorry, but that's how I feel.

Pats Radio

I sort of understand where you're coming from, I mean I was totally shocked when Robby announced so casually the discovery & release of the London Fog stuff, BUT ultimately I'm excited about it and can't wait!! It's starting to become an exciting time again for new (old) stuff we've never heard or knew about, I'm thankful for everything that they've released so far and appreciate anything that comes out

#11 manboob

manboob

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:36 AM

I sort of understand where you're coming from, I mean I was totally shocked when Robby announced so casually the discovery & release of the London Fog stuff, BUT ultimately I'm excited about it and can't wait!! It's starting to become an exciting time again for new (old) stuff we've never heard or knew about, I'm thankful for everything that they've released so far and appreciate anything that comes out

I expect this from this site! No offense to Jeff he has to follow protocol, But this site as far as info is concerned is bullshit!! I've never been to a site with more bullshit talk and no information than this one!! The promises are overwhelming with no results!! They have dangled the carrot in front of us all for how long now and all we have is LA WOMAN deluxe is coming out but no info! Are you kidding, Just like this new delivery jeff got what ever it is we won't see it until 2015 the way things are put out! Don't get your hopes up!! Believe all of what you see and half of what you hear!!

#12 crazyhorse80

crazyhorse80

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:46 AM

If a London Fog recording is the "surprise," I think it could be one of the most unexpected "discoveries" thus far in The Doors' unknown vault, even more so than say a soundboard of New Orleans, Dallas, or Miami. But I don't agree, as far as marketing strategies go, to announce something of that magnitude in anticipation of another special package the band is putting out there for us--seems like this big announcement should have been arranged by all parties of The Doors' camp to be kept under wraps until the LA Woman 40th set is out on the shelves, unless whatever the "surprise" may be will be included as part of the LA Woman 40th package. Or who knows, maybe the opposite will occur and news of striking gold on something this unexpected and prolific will have a peripheral effect and generate more interest in the band. But, my opinion is that news of this other find will take away from the hype of LA Woman, if it's not to be included in the 40th anniversary set...

Edited by crazyhorse80, 22 August 2011 - 12:48 AM.

#13 green_hotel

green_hotel

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:29 AM

If a London Fog recording is the "surprise," I think it could be one of the most unexpected "discoveries" thus far in The Doors' unknown vault, even more so than say a soundboard of New Orleans, Dallas, or Miami. But I don't agree, as far as marketing strategies go, to announce something of that magnitude in anticipation of another special package the band is putting out there for us--seems like this big announcement should have been arranged by all parties of The Doors' camp to be kept under wraps until the LA Woman 40th set is out on the shelves, unless whatever the "surprise" may be will be included as part of the LA Woman 40th package. Or who knows, maybe the opposite will occur and news of striking gold on something this unexpected and prolific will have a peripheral effect and generate more interest in the band. But, my opinion is that news of this other find will take away from the hype of LA Woman, if it's not to be included in the 40th anniversary set...

yeah, at the show last night, Ray mentioned after a few songs about the L.A. Woman 40th set coming out and everyone cheered loudly, then they played a few songs, then Robby talks about the London Fog recordings and a release for those at some point - he said "very soon", but who knows, right? But when he announced that, no one really cheered like maybe a smaller percentage of people there really realized the significance of what he nonchalantly announced, but man, I almost passed out...

#14 Roughie

Roughie

Rider on the Boards

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  • Interests:Writing, film making, photography, comedy, horses, music.

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:14 AM

Yep!

Thanks... and the rumours about the London Fog???????
The Down, Across & Up DVD is now available. It is a multi-region DVD. The DVD and book are available through our website.

www.downacrossup.com

www.purplesheep.co.nz

#15 Doorsmanagement

Doorsmanagement

Yo, 'sup?

• Members
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:22 AM

Pats Radio

Hey, listen, I understand your frustration and anger.

Remember, I manage The Doors, and I answer to them, and I cannot (and DO NOT) talk about anything, or do anything, or release anything, that they have not approved. I mean, it's my job, I guess, to take some of the flak, and for people to have a "person" to blame, be frustrated with, yell at, be disappointed with, etc.

And I'm not asking you to feel bad for me - I'm paid very well for the privilege of having the GREATEST job in the world. And I'm thrilled to do it.

But please, try not to think of me as "playing games" with you, or anyone else. The Doors can say whatever they want, at any time, to anyone they choose. It's their band, their career, and their legacy. But it's not MINE. So I take marching orders from them - and until they tell ME that I can talk about something......I just can't. Sorry, man.

#16 Doorsmanagement

Doorsmanagement

Yo, 'sup?

• Members
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:24 AM

Hey, listen, I understand your frustration and anger.

Remember, I manage The Doors, and I answer to them, and I cannot (and DO NOT) talk about anything, or do anything, or release anything, that they have not approved. I mean, it's my job, I guess, to take some of the flak, and for people to have a "person" to blame, be frustrated with, yell at, be disappointed with, etc.

And I'm not asking you to feel bad for me - I'm paid very well for the privilege of having the GREATEST job in the world. And I'm thrilled to do it.

But please, try not to think of me as "playing games" with you, or anyone else. The Doors can say whatever they want, at any time, to anyone they choose. It's their band, their career, and their legacy. But it's not MINE. So I take marching orders from them - and until they tell ME that I can talk about something......I just can't. Sorry, man.

And PS - Friday night, I showed Robby and Ray some London Fog-era photos of themselves - I was with them in LA when they played at The Whisky this past Friday night. So I presume that's what prompted Robby to talk about that.

#17 Doorsmanagement

Doorsmanagement

Yo, 'sup?

• Members
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:29 AM

And PS - Friday night, I showed Robby and Ray some London Fog-era photos of themselves - I was with them in LA when they played at The Whisky this past Friday night. So I presume Robby was talking about that.

AAAAAND...PPS - yes, a live recording of The Doors at The London Fog!!!!!!!!

It's excellent quality, from a reel-to-reel tape recorder, recorded by a woman who was one of Ray's friends from UCLA, and helped the early Doors flyer, promote and get folks to come to the London Fog to check out "Ray & Jim's new band!"

AAAAAND she took photos - lots of 'em - in great quality black & white, of a bunch of guys who look, like, ten years old, up on stage rockin' out. Un. be. LIEVable!!!!

#18 Roughie

Roughie

Rider on the Boards

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  • Interests:Writing, film making, photography, comedy, horses, music.

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:30 AM

It's excellent quality, from a reel-to-reel tape recorder, recorded by a woman who was one of Ray's friends from UCLA, and helped the early Doors flyer, promote and get folks to come to the London Fog to check out "Ray & Jim's new band!"

AAAAAND she took photos - lots of 'em - in great quality black & white, of a bunch of guys who look, like, ten years old, up on stage rockin' out. Un. be. LIEVable!!!!

Thanks for the news. Holy crap!

Edited by Roughie, 22 August 2011 - 02:31 AM.

The Down, Across & Up DVD is now available. It is a multi-region DVD. The DVD and book are available through our website.

www.downacrossup.com

www.purplesheep.co.nz

#19 Doorsmanagement

Doorsmanagement

Yo, 'sup?

• Members
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:31 AM

AAAAAND...PPPS - among other songs, they performed "Lucille," which Robby tells me he never remembered The Doors playing, ever! So - there ya go.

More later.

#20 hardrockcafe

hardrockcafe

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:45 AM

AAAAAND...PPPS - among other songs, they performed Chuck Berry's "Lucille," which Robby tells me he never remembered The Doors playing, ever! So - there ya go.

More later.

Awesome news Jeff! :) Just out of curiosity, how many sets or shows were recorded? Do you know if the recording is a "soundboard" (i.e. a direct feed from the house mixing console) -- or is recorded from a mic positioned in the audience?

Edited by hardrockcafe, 22 August 2011 - 02:46 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users