Photo

Come on baby light my fire...

77 replies to this topic

#61 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts
  • Interests:Politics; History (Medieval English, Victorian English and American, esp. William Bonney/Lincoln County War); Permaculture; Mexican and Moroccan Folk Art and Vernacular Architecture

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:51 PM

...o royal knavery!

:mad: i'm using the internet. i forget my shakespeare...

A copy of the Complete Works has more or less lived on my coffee table for the last several years, ever since Kenneth Branagh's Henry V aired on PBS. One of these days I'm going to have to put it back in the bookcase. :lol:
I still believe in the Cosmic Giggle, even if Rolling Stone doesn't any more.

#62 jlo

jlo

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:15 AM

my book case (old barrister bookcases) are full, and i mean full of books. i can't fit any more in there. there are 2 rows of books on every shelf.

my collection of books about a certain male singer is taking over. :rolleyes:
...no time to wallow in the mire...

#63 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts
  • Interests:Politics; History (Medieval English, Victorian English and American, esp. William Bonney/Lincoln County War); Permaculture; Mexican and Moroccan Folk Art and Vernacular Architecture

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:44 AM

Yep, I've got a couple of those myself, but a lot of my bookshelf space these days is taken up with books about a certain young outlaw who was up for a pardon the same time Jim was... plus I've got volumes on interior design as well as Moroccan and Mexican cookbooks on shelves in my kitchen--and boxes and boxes of books in storage. Oy...
I still believe in the Cosmic Giggle, even if Rolling Stone doesn't any more.

#64 jlo

jlo

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:48 PM

i have a bunch of cookbooks too, but i don't have moroccan. do you have a tagine? that cuisine always fascinated me. with those preserved lemons and all the spices.

i love interior design. we built our house so i got to pick all the furniture. i designed my kitchen. it was fun. and, i think it came out the way i wanted and is a reflection of how we are. it's funny, when you pick what you like it all goes together. are you inspired by the nm landscape? i bet the colors there are incredible!

#65 first statue

first statue

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

my book case (old barrister bookcases) are full, and i mean full of books. i can't fit any more in there. there are 2 rows of books on every shelf.

Which one?

#66 jlo

jlo

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

Which one?

i have lots of books about jim. in 2009 after i saw the oliver stone movie for the first time, i couldn't believe that this guy who i heard was such a genius was actually a raving drunk as he was portrayed. so, i went to amazon and ordered 'riders on the storm' and from there i bought almost every book i could about jim and about the doors.

i think my favorite book in terms of learning about what made jim morrison who he was was "the lizard king was here" which is a book by mark opsasnick who is extremely detailed oriented. it's about jim's time in alexandria virginia. the first part of the book is a little dry and too detailed, but, as it goes on, you learn a lot about the area and he interviewed school friends of jim.

it's amazing to think that each book has a unique take on who he was. it's hard to know what is 'true' and what isn't, but there are common threads.

i just got my copy of the doors unhinged. i can't wait to read it!

#67 mina

mina

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

i have lots of books about jim. in 2009 after i saw the oliver stone movie for the first time, i couldn't believe that this guy who i heard was such a genius was actually a raving drunk as he was portrayed. so, i went to amazon and ordered 'riders on the storm' and from there i bought almost every book i could about jim and about the doors.

i think my favorite book in terms of learning about what made jim morrison who he was was "the lizard king was here" which is a book by mark opsasnick who is extremely detailed oriented. it's about jim's time in alexandria virginia. the first part of the book is a little dry and too detailed, but, as it goes on, you learn a lot about the area and he interviewed school friends of jim.

it's amazing to think that each book has a unique take on who he was. it's hard to know what is 'true' and what isn't, but there are common threads.

Thanks for the tip! I will soon buy/borrow many books about The Doors, Jim, and also now I have to check "the lizard king was here".

#68 first statue

first statue

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:54 PM

Translation problems lol. I read too fast sometimes.

I read your post from 2.15 am in a way as if there was a certain male singer that had taken those books away from you lol. Second: I thought if it was the case then you must be thinking of Jim. Third: I thought if Jim had taken those books from you then you must be in some serious age today lol :D .

Edited by first statue, 20 April 2013 - 06:55 PM.

#69 jlo

jlo

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

Thanks for the tip! I will soon buy/borrow many books about The Doors, Jim, and also now I have to check "the lizard king was here".

hi mina, i wasn't going to buy that book but shebang recommended it to me. i miss her. she is awesome!

Translation problems lol. I read too fast sometimes.

I read your post from 2.15 am in a way as if there was a certain male singer that had taken those books away from you lol. Second: I thought if it was the case then you must be thinking of Jim. Third: I thought if Jim had taken those books from you then you must be in some serious age today lol :D .

first statue, your post made me laugh! no male singer taking my books, at leas that i am aware of...besides. do you think jim would want to read books about himself? maybe it would give him a good laugh....

oh and i don't remember the world with the doors music as a back drop. i'm not that old.... :P

#70 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts
  • Interests:European History, Riding horses, Poetry, listening to the Wind

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:24 PM

I enjoyed reading that book, too. The author didn't leave anything unturned in his research.

Edited by Texasky, 20 April 2013 - 09:30 PM.

HE COURTED DEATH LIKE IT WAS A DARK ELUSIVE SWEETHEART

#71 jlo

jlo

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:43 PM

I enjoyed reading that book, too. The author didn't leave anything unturned in his research.

very true, texasky! i really enjoyed learning about how the places (especially that book store in dc, i think) influenced jim. and his home...having a separate entry to his room, which was filled with his art.

that book made me think that he was an old soul.

#72 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:34 PM

very true, texasky! i really enjoyed learning about how the places (especially that book store in dc, i think) influenced jim. and his home...having a separate entry to his room, which was filled with his art.

that book made me think that he was an old soul.

I know he had his own entrance and it was to the basement which became his room where he stayed. I remember that the washer and dryer were down there, too. I believe there was only a half bath.....but I need to go back and read about his art in that area. That must have been the best scenario ...having his own area of the house to himself except when his mother had to come down to do the wash.

I bet he even help his mother out at times with the laundry. There was that side to him.

#73 jlo

jlo

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:50 PM

I bet he even help his mother out at times with the laundry. There was that side to him.

really? laundry? it's not the thing i associate with jim. you knew the human being, that's the neatest part!

#74 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

I am sooooo jealous of you, Tex. Jim never wrote any songs for me... that stinker! <sob!>

Hey Miz,

It took me a while to find this post. Well, now that I have recently listened to the outtakes of 40th anniversary L.A. Woman, I hear that Albuquerque is indeed mentioned by Jim. Apparently there is some ranch he is going to visit and he is taking his beans and jerky to Albuquerque.

Perhaps you two had a conversation about that area?

#75 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:37 PM

Hey Miz,

It took me a while to find this post. Well, now that I have recently listened to the outtakes of 40th anniversary L.A. Woman, I hear that Albuquerque is indeed mentioned by Jim. Apparently there is some ranch he is going to visit and he is taking his beans and jerky to Albuquerque.

Perhaps you two had a conversation about that area?

It's a reference to a TV show. Here are more details: http://www.tv.com/sh...-64447-1766035/
The future's uncertain
And the end is always near.

#76 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:32 PM

It's a reference to a TV show. Here are more details: http://www.tv.com/sh...-64447-1766035/

Queen, how in the world did you find this?

Well, I reckon Miz and Jim didn't discuss this one... ha!

#77 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:24 AM

Queen, how in the world did you find this?

Well, I reckon Miz and Jim didn't discuss this one... ha!

When I first downloaded the 40 th anniversary and I heard the Riders out takes and Jim doing his song I was curious to know what it was, so I just googled the first few lines he was singing and it came up that it was a tv show in ABQ. It was pretty funny!

When in doubt....I google it! :)
The future's uncertain
And the end is always near.

#78 Pedro Kazit

Pedro Kazit

• Registered Users
  • 4,515 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:24 PM

Text:-"Light my Fire" number 1 in K/MEN radio(San Bernardino), -May 31, 1967-: http://3.bp.blogspot...-h/scan0014.jpg
-"Light my Fire" number 2 in K/MEN radio,-May 24, 1967-: http://1.bp.blogspot...-h/scan0009.jpg
-"Light my Fire" number 1 in KFXM radio(San Bernardino).-June 2, 1967-: http://2.bp.blogspot...-h/scan0036.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users