JM's Handwritten Speech On Masturbation

16 replies to this topic

#1 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts
  • Interests:European History, Riding horses, Poetry, listening to the Wind

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

When I first saw the headline, I thought "oh no, Jim what have you done now"? But I really enjoyed reading this, and I laughed my head off. Here is an example of Jim's great sense of humor. To premise this into context, when I was growing up I remember hearing that if a person masturbated, their hands would eventually fall off plus a bunch of other stuff. I wonder if this is still a belief?

https://www.gottahav...on-Masturbation

Edited by Texasky, 15 April 2013 - 03:05 PM.

HE COURTED DEATH LIKE IT WAS A DARK ELUSIVE SWEETHEART

#2 flashing bliss

flashing bliss

FB

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

I'd like to reply but my hands aren't feeling too good at the moment.
Flash

#3 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts
  • Interests:Politics; History (Medieval English, Victorian English and American, esp. William Bonney/Lincoln County War); Permaculture; Mexican and Moroccan Folk Art and Vernacular Architecture

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:56 PM

I'd like to reply but my hands aren't feeling too good at the moment.

...and hair is sprouting all over your palms as well? :lol:
I still believe in the Cosmic Giggle, even if Rolling Stone doesn't any more.

#4 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:03 PM

Ohh...........and I was hoping for a good discussion. How very unfortunate that two of our most active posters have had to pull out. Well, then, okay.... I'll just have to keep things going for a while on my end.

Edited by Texasky, 15 April 2013 - 06:03 PM.

#5 jlo

jlo

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:03 PM

...oh my goodness... :blush: ...flashing and miz!

@texasky your choice of words "pull out" made me lol especially in this conversation.

on edit:

ok. i have a question, what were they teaching in high school in the 50s? i don't remember speeches like this in my high school.
:)

Edited by jlo, 15 April 2013 - 07:07 PM.

...no time to wallow in the mire...

#6 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

...oh my goodness... :blush: ...flashing and miz!

@texasky your choice of words "pull out" made me lol especially in this conversation.

on edit:

ok. i have a question, what were they teaching in high school in the 50s? i don't remember speeches like this in my high school.
:)

My entire post was a reply in that direction :D .

Well, when I was growing up, this was given as a serious warning..and who really knew any difference. And I wasn't in high school until later on in the 60's. I can't remember it being taught in school, it was something we all would hear through the grapevine. And finally when I did get into high school, it was something to giggle over. Such innocence back then. I would think this wouldn't at all be taken seriously today, people are more hip and not as easily fooled. But maybe not.

#7 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:51 PM

I've never seen that letter before! It was hysterical. You can definitely tell he was writing this to probably push the buttons of his teachers and get a reaction!

Our current situation in Boston with possible bombings during the marathon, this made my day!
The future's uncertain
And the end is always near.

#8 Pedro Kazit

Pedro Kazit

• Registered Users
  • 4,515 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:33 PM

Other Jim letters humour(in 1957): http://www.liveaucti...com/item/428673

#9 flashing bliss

flashing bliss

FB

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:47 PM

I believe Jim got it from 'Mad' comics and he might appreciate the Colemanballs anthology of media slip-ups :-
........ Female newscaster who, the day after it was supposed to snow but hadn't, asked the weatherman: "So Bob, where's that eight inches you promised me last night?"

Or "The batsman's Holding the bowler's Willey......." where for the present audience I should explain the names in italics were famous cricketers of the day.
Flash

#10 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:01 AM

Other Jim letters humour(in 1957): http://www.liveaucti...com/item/428673

Oh Pedro...thank you so much for this......I laughed so hard, I am having to catch my breath. I don't know how you find so much, but thank you for all of your effort!

#11 StupidGirl

StupidGirl

• Banned
  • 2,835 posts
  • Interests:the truth...for it can be adjusted.....

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:50 AM

!

#12 mina

mina

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

I believe Jim got it from 'Mad' comics and he might appreciate the Colemanballs anthology of media slip-ups :-
........ Female newscaster who, the day after it was supposed to snow but hadn't, asked the weatherman: "So Bob, where's that eight inches you promised me last night?"

Or "The batsman's Holding the bowler's Willey......." where for the present audience I should explain the names in italics were famous cricketers of the day.

It does sound a bit like from Mad. Those media slip-ups were funny!!! lol! So this was a speech Jim made, he read it in front of a class!? I'd love to see the face of the teacher and the students. And I wonder was he allowed to read it all or was he interrupted by the teacher.

Edited by mina, 16 April 2013 - 12:52 PM.

#13 freedomgirl

freedomgirl

• Members
  • 374 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Music, Movies, Poetry, trying to get people in my little surrounding to learn to think on their own, not what they´re told..., to realize their head is the only place to be free.

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:30 PM

It does sound a bit like from Mad. Those media slip-ups were funny!!! lol! So this was a speech Jim made, he read it in front of a class!? I'd love to see the face of the teacher and the students. And I wonder was he allowed to read it all or was he interrupted by the teacher.

Which speech are you refering to mina that Jim read in front of a class, the first or the second... :lol: Now we can kind of imagne why Jim spend so much time in detention when he was in school, and I think it´s also a good example what a great sense of humor he had.

Thanks to you Texasky and Pedro Kazit!! I had to laugh so hard... And I´m glad you brought up the subject cause both are very serious problems that sould be discussed here. It seems even some people hers are affected by one or the other, or maybe both... :lol:
...He communicated with emotion, rage, grace, and wisdom. He offered very little in the way of compromise...

#14 mina

mina

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

Which speech are you refering to mina that Jim read in front of a class, the first or the second... :lol: Now we can kind of imagne why Jim spend so much time in detention when he was in school, and I think it´s also a good example what a great sense of humor he had.

Thanks to you Texasky and Pedro Kazit!! I had to laugh so hard... And I´m glad you brought up the subject cause both are very serious problems that sould be discussed here. It seems even some people hers are affected by one or the other, or maybe both... :lol:

:) No, I don't have to think hard to know why Jim had many detentions.. To Texasky (arghh I still can't press enter here), yes, we still think hands will fall off, because we can get a sexually transmitted disease from masturbation.. (edit:oops, a break in thinking)

Edited by mina, 18 April 2013 - 12:17 PM.

#15 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:17 PM

Mad was one of the most popular magazines to read during our youth. There are phrases who to this day I sometimes still use. Some of the best satire came from those very witty writers.

Thanks FB, that weather report is quite funny, still laughing as I read it.

#16 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

:) No, I don't have to think hard to know why Jim had many detentions.. To Texasky (arghh I still can't press enter here), yes, we still think hands will fall off, because we can get a sexually transmitted disease from masturbation.. (edit:oops, a break in thinking)

Hmmmm, Mina, I wonder if anyone's hands actually did fall off? Oh, surely someone some place it has been reported like in the National Inquirer :D

#17 StupidGirl

StupidGirl

• Banned
  • 2,835 posts
  • Interests:the truth...for it can be adjusted.....

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:12 AM

Hey, girl! nice topic... I'll get back to you.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users