Okay, just tuned into Tavis Smiley

34 replies to this topic

#21 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts
  • Interests:European History, Riding horses, Poetry, listening to the Wind

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:08 PM

that very may well be true... yet, the flipside of that anxiety on his wiring was the ambition, desire & nearly craven need to pursue & embrace the fame.

thru '69 it seemed to be as much a curse as a needed component to rise to the station he & the band did.

to use a boxing analogy, Jim wouldve been greatly helped if he had his own angelo dundee. an elder who been thru the some of the same ropes, got thru them & could balance a real domestic life. Even now, that seems so scarce in this particular field of entertainment arts.

On page 57 in the John's new book, The Doors Unhinged, he says "I was worried about Jim as a friend who was drinking too much and it took me a year to convince Ray that we needed to stop performing because Jim was destroying himself." Then he goes on to say that 10 months later Jim had his break down in New Orleans.

You know it was a run away train and it took something so dire as his break down in New Orleans for them to stop touring.

I am still reading the book......but what a thing to read that Ray kept cracking the whip.

Edited by Texasky, 20 May 2013 - 03:54 PM.

HE COURTED DEATH LIKE IT WAS A DARK ELUSIVE SWEETHEART

#22 manhime

manhime

• Members
  • 890 posts
  • Interests:Peppermint Girl's

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:39 PM

On page 57 in the John's new book, The Doors Unhinged, he says "I was worried about Jim as a friend who was drinking too much and it took me a year to convince Ray that we needed to stop performing because Jim was destroying himself." Then he goes on to say that 10 months later Jim had his break down in New Orleans.

You know it was a run away train and it took something so dire as his break down in New Orleans for them to stop touring.

I am still reading the book......but what a thing to read that Ray kept cracking the whip.

I am sure RAY will say differently. Hard to blame Ray on Jim's own self destruction.

#23 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts
  • Interests:European History, Riding horses, Poetry, listening to the Wind

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

I am sure RAY will say differently. Hard to blame Ray on Jim's own self destruction.

I don't feel Ray is to blame....there were things taking place such as the trial which was a monster hanging over Jim and the Doors.

I read somewhere that Jim didn't seem affected by the impending trial. He was very concerned and the stress of that combined with his Doors duties.....he really didn't need to be performing imo.
HE COURTED DEATH LIKE IT WAS A DARK ELUSIVE SWEETHEART

#24 manhime

manhime

• Members
  • 890 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

I don't feel Ray is to blame....there were things taking place such as the trial which was a monster hanging over Jim and the Doors.

I read somewhere that Jim didn't seem affected by the impending trial. He was very concerned and the stress of that combined with his Doors duties.....he really didn't need to be performing imo.

True but it was his own choice. Ray did not tie Jim to the mic

#25 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts
  • Interests:Politics; History (Medieval English, Victorian English and American, esp. William Bonney/Lincoln County War); Permaculture; Mexican and Moroccan Folk Art and Vernacular Architecture

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:35 AM

True but it was his own choice. Ray did not tie Jim to the mic

I agree that it was Jim's choice and IIRC Ray had only asked for another 6 months anyway. The end of that six months was March 1, 1969...and Jim was so drunk that night that if Ray hadn't grabbed him and carried him offstage he might well have done what he was threatening to do--or what he was promising to do, depending on how you want to look at it. (Lordy lou, the double entendres just write themselves, don't they?)
I still believe in the Cosmic Giggle, even if Rolling Stone doesn't any more.

#26 manhime

manhime

• Members
  • 890 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:34 AM

I agree that it was Jim's choice and IIRC Ray had only asked for another 6 months anyway. The end of that six months was March 1, 1969...and Jim was so drunk that night that if Ray hadn't grabbed him and carried him offstage he might well have done what he was threatening to do--or what he was promising to do, depending on how you want to look at it. (Lordy lou, the double entendres just write themselves, don't they?)

I wish the 3 doors would of played one last time together with a Jim Morrison hologram. That I would of went to see. It would the closest I would ever get to a live concert.

#27 StupidGirl

StupidGirl

• Banned
  • 2,835 posts
  • Interests:the truth...for it can be adjusted.....

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:58 AM

Mizz Scarlett, forgot what wtf iirc means?*Holograms*think i'm gonna bitch slap you Manhime.

#28 flashing bliss

flashing bliss

FB

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:19 AM

Hi Miz. Just to add, if I may. Miami was supposed to be the beginning of their largest tour yet. It's possible that Jim, having said he was having a nervous breakdown, really, deep down, did not want to do twenty dates or so in a month.
Flash

#29 *~adrienne~*

*~adrienne~*

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • Interests:Sirius XMU, books on bands from the late 60s/70s & non-fiction, Netflix (mostly horror films in my queue), art galleries, concerts, coffee, sugar free red bull and any combination of chocolate and peanut butter.

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:25 AM

Janet, I gotta say...it really bothers me the way you're ganging up against John here...maybe you could just...give him a break already?

Edited by *~adrienne~*, 29 May 2013 - 05:26 AM.

"Instant gratification takes too long!"
-Carrie Fisher

#30 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts
  • Interests:Politics; History (Medieval English, Victorian English and American, esp. William Bonney/Lincoln County War); Permaculture; Mexican and Moroccan Folk Art and Vernacular Architecture

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:24 AM

Hi Miz. Just to add, if I may. Miami was supposed to be the beginning of their largest tour yet. It's possible that Jim, having said he was having a nervous breakdown, really, deep down, did not want to do twenty dates or so in a month.

Was it Danny Sugerman or Frank Lisciandro--Lisciandro I think--who said Jim wasn't serious when he said that, and went on to compare it to Jim describing getting an idea for a song or poem as having a "cerebral erection?"
I still believe in the Cosmic Giggle, even if Rolling Stone doesn't any more.

#31 StupidGirl

StupidGirl

• Banned
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:49 AM

Mizz Scarlett, I fuvkin' believe you've lost me this time.But, erections are always a good thing.What else ya got?

#32 DoorsFanPeter

DoorsFanPeter

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

In my opinion Ray nailed it when he said it was all about the money--that John wanted to be paid for work he hadn't done. (And if it wasn't about the money, why did John and the Morrison Estate demand millions in so-called "damages?")

Ray had no problem paying Jim's estate(Pamela) for usage of the Doors name in 1972.

How else should half the band be compensated when the other half of the band use the Doors name without authorization? A nicely written "I won't do it again" apology?

If John wanted "free money" he'd be rubber stamping licensing offers for their music and publishing.

#33 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:04 PM

Ray didn't carry Jim off in Miami. Jim was thrown off of the stage, led a little snake dance and exited. You're probably thinking of the Boston show the following year. The power was cut, and Jim said "cocksuckers" before Ray allegedly cupped Jim's mouth with one hand and carried him off stage with his other arm.

Edited by Encuentro, 29 May 2013 - 09:05 PM.

#34 flashing bliss

flashing bliss

FB

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:34 AM

Was it Danny Sugerman or Frank Lisciandro--Lisciandro I think--who said Jim wasn't serious when he said that, and went on to compare it to Jim describing getting an idea for a song or poem as having a "cerebral erection?"

Right Miz. Didn't know that. However, the facts speak for themselves. Looking here : http://mildequator.c...tdates1969.html
The Doors hardly performed any concerts for the following five months and he went on to ruin the first gig of the big tour.
Flash

#35 StupidGirl

StupidGirl

• Banned
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:28 AM

Ray didn't carry Jim off in Miami. Jim was thrown off of the stage, led a little snake dance and exited. You're probably thinking of the Boston show the following year. The power was cut, and Jim said "cocksuckers" before Ray allegedly cupped Jim's mouth with one hand and carried him off stage with his other arm.

fuvk me, how do you know these things? *don't answer, I may be a guy , with heavy periods*

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users