Photo

New Jim documentary

103 replies to this topic

#21 Pedro Kazit

Pedro Kazit

• Registered Users
  • 4,515 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:04 PM

Hey Shelby(and the others Doors fans) today in "Youtube" this trailer/preview with Andy Morrison, friend Phil O´Leno, etc. With unknown footage(colour) of Jim children:

#22 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

The funding campaign for this promising film began on 7/3. I donated myself, and I hope that others will do the same. Any little bit you can donate will help, and it's easy to do. You would pay using an Amazon account. If you already have one, you're set. If not, it's easy to register. The filmmakers' goal is to reach $50,000 by 8/2. They're now up to $1,440 with 27 days to go. Please watch the video that Pedro was kind enough to post, follow the link below and donate whatever you can. Even if it's $5, it will be a great help.
http://www.kickstart...on-comes-of-age

#23 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts
  • Interests:European History, Riding horses, Poetry, listening to the Wind

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:45 PM

Pedro and Encuentro,

Thank you so much for link. I just sent in my contribution. If all of us at this board contribute plus all Doors/Jim fans this video can happen. Best thing is to get the word out. The donations range from as little as $ 5.00 to $10,000.00.

This is the first time I have ever seen Jim's brother Andy speak about Jim. How insightful to see the different people who knew JIm give their comments about the person they knew.

Edited by Texasky, 05 July 2013 - 07:55 PM.

HE COURTED DEATH LIKE IT WAS A DARK ELUSIVE SWEETHEART

#24 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:26 PM

Awesome, Texasky!

Here is a cool Facebook message from one of the two filmmakers, Jeff Finn.

Before the End: Jim Morrison Comes of Age
3 hours ago near Los Angeles, CA · 
Throughout the making of BTE, I’ve become acquainted with a few people who were good friends with Jim. One, in particular, shared a prime example of why so many choose to “hate Morrison” via knee-jerk reaction.

Circa 1990, Oliver Stone asked Jim’s friend to be a consultant for his then in-the-works biopic, The Doors. Jim’s friend said he was given the script and, upon reading it, marched up to Stone, pointed to it, and asked, “Why are you not telling the truth about Jim’s life?” Stone supposedly laughed and replied, “Because the truth doesn’t sell.” The friend returned the script and walked off the set.

If I had a dollar for everyone I've met who’s remarked, regarding Stone’s 1991 film, "Morrison, what a pretentious, narcissistic drunken asshole," or words to that effect, I wouldn't need to launch a Kickstarter donation campaign for BTE.

Everyone’s entitled to his or her opinion, but Jim’s friend’s experience illustrates how Morrison has come to be vastly misunderstood. That’s not to say Jim wasn’t capable of being an asshole, but who among us isn’t? In any case, it’s not Jess’s and my intention to deify Jim, but we’re not trying to demonize him, either, as others have successfully done. We’re revealing Jim’s rarely seen humane side, particularly as it pertains to his formative years. But to do so, we need your help.

Jess and I comprise a two-person independent production team. As we don’t possess the money and backing of a big Hollywood studio, we’re reaching out to Jim’s fans to be collaborators with us via Kickstarter. Anything you may donate is GREATLY appreciated! This is your chance not only to help make BTE a reality but, by doing so, to become a part of Jim Morrison’s legacy. You can help offset decades of lies, hype, and bullshit, and show a clearer, fuller picture of who Jim really was as a person. Please see the links below and help spread the word! We now only have 27 days to reach our $50K Kickstarter donation goal! THANK YOU!!

Official BTE movie preview:

Official BTE Kickstarter donation link: http://www.kickstart...on-comes-of-age
https://m.facebook.com/#!/story.php?story_fbid=290569791088269&id=169475486531034&__user=684988510

Edited by Encuentro, 05 July 2013 - 08:30 PM.

#25 Crimson_King

Crimson_King

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • Location:This sh*t town called Escondido, California (trash scattered everywhere!)
  • Interests:French Philosophy, poetry, psychology, sociology, hermeneutics, semiotics, cinema, sleeping.....and (right now) Doors, Steely Dan, Talking Heads, King Crimson-Fripp, Yes, Jethro Tull, Eno, Roxy Music, Bruford, etc......even, yes, The Monkees!

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:26 PM

wow, poor Phil O'Leno looks aged, doesn't he.

Like an old hippie-sage or something.

The only pictures I've ever seen of him are from Frank Lisciandro's excellent "Feast of Friends" compilation book........a perfect counter-measure to the Stone film when it was published in 1991, by the way. There's a great interview with him in that book and a little square photo of him from 1964-5 holding onto a light fixture during the filming of a student film. He looks SO young there of course because he WAS young.

I've handled that book SO many times over the last 22 years that the binding is completely destroyed and the pages are all loose and falling all over the place, AARGH! B)

Edited by Crimson_King, 05 July 2013 - 08:51 PM.

"Naked we come, Bruised we go.....Nude pastry for the slow soft worms below" - JDM

#26 flashing bliss

flashing bliss

FB

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

Thanks Pedro. It gives me hope that the film may go half way to fulfilling its publicity of a few months ago.

I still hope I'm proved wrong but don't believe that, quote........ "Hours of off-the-record converrsations" and "Further illuminating discussions were shared by" necessarily means Anne, Tandy, Mary and Frank took any concrete part in the film.

The coup, so far is Andy Morrison and perhaps his presence may encourage these three women and Frank. I don't recall Phil O'leno having been mentioned so there may yet be other interesting people filmed than those promised.

I've got two things I'm unsure about in the Kickstart clip: Off camera, someone says "Something happened in 7th, 8th or 9th to Jim. He was very different".

i) Anyone know who is speaking? and ii) What age would that make Jim? Somethng may have snapped when he was dragged away from California again.

Glad they've made progress as these people have shown willingness to speak plainly in the past and it just took someone to try to put it all together.

Edit: duplicated word

Edited by flashing bliss, 06 July 2013 - 11:16 AM.

Flash

#27 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

$2,705 with 26 days to go. I hope that those who haven't given their support to this film will at least consider doing so.
http://www.kickstart...on-comes-of-age

#28 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:39 PM

Good news! The campaign to fund BTE was picked up by Billboard!

New Jim Morrison Doc Focuses on Doors Legend's Early Years
NEWS
By Valerie Reich , The Hollywood Reporter | July 05, 2013 9:57 PM EDT

A new documentary about the early life of Doors frontman Jim Morrison is in the works.

Filmmakers Jeff Finn and Jess Finn are looking to raise $50,000 via a Kickstarter campaign so they can complete and release the doc, "Before the End: Jim Morrison Comes of Age."

Featuring interviews with family members and friends who have never spoken of Morrison on camera before, the doc features remembrances by Morrison's brother Andy Morrison, his childhood friend Jeff Morehouse, and several of Morrison's professors from both Florida State University and UCLA. Also included: personal recollections from Morrison's first girlfriends Tandy Martin and Mary Werblow as well as Alain Ronay, his UCLA college roommate who visited the rocker in Paris shortly before his death.

Morrison died at the age of 27 in a Paris apartment, but this doc focuses exclusively on the future Lizard King's early childhood through his college years.

In presenting the Kickstarter campaign, the filmmakers write:

"For over three decades, myriad articles, books, biopics, and documentaries have promised to render the 'real' Jim Morrison, but they've generally amounted to hyperbolic, gossipy rock-star depictions of Morrison's tenure with The Doors. Few have delved into Morrison's formative years. And none have fully fleshed out Morrison, the human being, and who he actually was as a person. aim to present 'a fully fleshed out Morrison, the human being, who he actually was as a person,' as opposed to what they claim other documentaries have yet to do."
http://www.billboard...nds-early-years

Edited by Encuentro, 07 July 2013 - 04:43 PM.

#29 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:40 PM

Jim Morrison Kickstarter Documentary Needs $50,000 To Avenge Doors Frontman

Would you pony up some change for a documentary about Jim Morrison's early years?
That's what Jeff and Jess Finn of L.A.-based Z-Machine are hoping. The duo are trying to raise $50,000 through their Kickstarter account, which was launched on July 3, 2013, the 42nd anniversary of Morrison's passing in Paris.
The Finns have been working on Before the End: Jim Morrison Comes of Age for a year and need some extra cash to complete the film.
The documentary's goal is to "bring the real Jim Morrison to light." Before the End focuses on the singer's less well known formative years, as well as his time with The Doors and his mysterious death.
Among those interviewed for the film are more than 500 of Morrison's family, friends, classmates, and teachers, including Elizabeth Buckner, friend and star of his first UCLA film. Andy Morrison, Jim's brother, has given his first on-camera interview, as has Ralph Turner, Morrison's Florida State University medieval history professor, for whom Jim wrote a paper on Hieronymus Bosch.
"There was so much more to Jim Morrison than a rock star," Jess Finn said in the press release. "And that remains the case today. People want to know what Jim was really like."

"We think the story of the Doors has been told countless times," Jeff Finn said, "but nuanced Morrison truths remain covered up by myths, distortions, and lies. Ideally, Before the End will function as a counterpoint to the negative knee-jerk reactions people have toward Jim, which seem based on certain portrayals that have been etched in stone."
Jeff Finn added, "We're neither deifying nor demonizing Morrison. We're trying to reveal his humanity, especially as it applies to his formative years. Making this documentary feels akin to a murder mystery, like who killed Jim Morrison by character assassination? I guess you could say we're also trying to avenge Jim in a sense."

Before the End: Jim Morrison Comes of Age has a tentative release date of July 2014.
http://laist.com/201...documentary.php

Edited by Encuentro, 13 July 2013 - 09:43 PM.

#30 Crimson_King

Crimson_King

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • Location:This sh*t town called Escondido, California (trash scattered everywhere!)
  • Interests:French Philosophy, poetry, psychology, sociology, hermeneutics, semiotics, cinema, sleeping.....and (right now) Doors, Steely Dan, Talking Heads, King Crimson-Fripp, Yes, Jethro Tull, Eno, Roxy Music, Bruford, etc......even, yes, The Monkees!

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:30 PM

guys, I have a bad feeling that the 50,000 needed for this project will NOT be raised by the end of the month. I mean, seriously, $50,000 is a TON of money, and if only a couple of thousand has been pledged by now, unless someone or some people donate 10 or 20 or 30 thousand by 7/31, we're out of luck.

I would pledge myself, but we have absolutely NO cash......my mom and I are living on Credit Cards, Food Stamps, and the 40 dollars my dad in Vegas will deposit (hopefully)

Perhaps if it doesn't work out, they can release the footage interviews they have online.

Sorry.

"Naked we come, Bruised we go.....Nude pastry for the slow soft worms below" - JDM

#31 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:15 AM

I wonder if John and Robby could contribute...that would take care of the rest that is needed to get the film moving.

It sounds like it will be such a gem.

#32 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

Jim Morrison Kickstarter Documentary Needs $50,000 To Avenge Doors Frontman

Would you pony up some change for a documentary about Jim Morrison's early years?
That's what Jeff and Jess Finn of L.A.-based Z-Machine are hoping. The duo are trying to raise $50,000 through their Kickstarter account, which was launched on July 3, 2013, the 42nd anniversary of Morrison's passing in Paris.
The Finns have been working on Before the End: Jim Morrison Comes of Age for a year and need some extra cash to complete the film.
The documentary's goal is to "bring the real Jim Morrison to light." Before the End focuses on the singer's less well known formative years, as well as his time with The Doors and his mysterious death.
Among those interviewed for the film are more than 500 of Morrison's family, friends, classmates, and teachers, including Elizabeth Buckner, friend and star of his first UCLA film. Andy Morrison, Jim's brother, has given his first on-camera interview, as has Ralph Turner, Morrison's Florida State University medieval history professor, for whom Jim wrote a paper on Hieronymus Bosch.
"There was so much more to Jim Morrison than a rock star," Jess Finn said in the press release. "And that remains the case today. People want to know what Jim was really like."

"We think the story of the Doors has been told countless times," Jeff Finn said, "but nuanced Morrison truths remain covered up by myths, distortions, and lies. Ideally, Before the End will function as a counterpoint to the negative knee-jerk reactions people have toward Jim, which seem based on certain portrayals that have been etched in stone."
Jeff Finn added, "We're neither deifying nor demonizing Morrison. We're trying to reveal his humanity, especially as it applies to his formative years. Making this documentary feels akin to a murder mystery, like who killed Jim Morrison by character assassination? I guess you could say we're also trying to avenge Jim in a sense."

Before the End: Jim Morrison Comes of Age has a tentative release date of July 2014.
http://laist.com/201...documentary.php

Thanks Encuentro for posting this.

This is just so VERY REVEALING what these documentary film makers have to say about this project. That "making this film is akin to a MURDER MYSTERY".....good night! What?? "who killed Jim Morrison by character assassination"?

"We're neither deifying nor demonizing Morrison. We're trying to reveal his humanity, especially as it applies to his formative years. Making this documentary feels akin to a murder mystery, like who killed Jim Morrison by character assassination? I guess you could say we're also trying to avenge Jim in a sense."

This is just stunning that this is what they are uncovering. His myth will most likely never go away, simply because of the Oliver Stone film. But appears that these film makers are bringing to light who he was before fame came into focus. That they could get Jim's brother involved, I feel says a lot about the integrity and intention of these film makers. Maybe it has been said before but I truly feel this documentary could be one of a kind and portray significant and revealing information.

Edited by Texasky, 14 July 2013 - 05:48 PM.

#33 StupidGirl

StupidGirl

• Banned
  • 2,835 posts
  • Interests:the truth...for it can be adjusted.....

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:01 AM

you're all a bunch of slaves... so, the most familiar photo of Morrison, slick.... then , reality kicks in... he gained weight & grow a beard... God, still good lookin'... and then, "fvking ease on to my mornin's"?who fuvkin' thinks this shit up?Morrison, "they" are full of shit.

#34 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:03 AM

Before the End: Jim Morrison Comes of Age shared a link via L.A. Woman Tours.
1 hour ago
Tony Funches has said yes to a BTE interview. Meanwhile, he's got a long-rumored book in the works. Check out the link where you can help him make it happen!
It's a fundraiser kind of day! Tony Fuches was Jim's bodyguard (for lack of a better word) who helped keep the Doors singer out of trouble. He is trying to write a book about his experiences working with Jim. If you'd like to contribute money to his project, you can do so here: http://www.gofundme.com/3drf5c
Click here to support Jim Morrison's Bodyguard's Book by Kaanii Powell Cleaver
www.gofundme.com
https://m.facebook.com/#!/BeforeTheEndJimMorrisonComesOfAge?__user=684988510

Edited by Encuentro, 15 July 2013 - 05:09 AM.

#35 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:29 PM

From Jess Finn:

"Back from Alameda
#5 - Backers only · Jul 15, 2013 · 1 comment

Hi BTE-ers! 

Jeff is finally back from Alameda, and he got some really great footage. And that’s not ALL he got! We have been given permission to use a never-before-seen letter that Jim wrote to his friend as well as a never-before-seen drawing he did. It’s fantastic! The letter is hilarious in only the way something written by a 14 year old boy can be. He bemoans not being able to wear his Levis and talks about girls a lot. 

We have 17 days to go and just over 10% pledged. Anything else you can do to get this thing funded would be greatly appreciated. We’ve posted on some message boards, contacted admins for Facebook pages, and we’re currently reaching out to some celebrities to pass on the word. We're also re-sending out our press release to some news organizations. I'm trying to get Jeff to get dressed up like Jim and go down to Hollywood Blvd to hand out cards, but he's balking.

Here are some pages that you can comment/post on if you are so inclined: https://www.facebook.com/thedoors https://www.facebook...ectors.Magazine https://thedoors.com/community http://www.huffingto..._n_3530599.html http://www.washingto...d-in-arlington/ http://www.examiner....

Fun fact: Jim was invited to a sophomore year school dance at Alameda High by a freshman girl. [This was just before he moved to Alexandria, VA.] Did they kiss goodnight? Find out in our movie!

-Jess"

Edited by Encuentro, 15 July 2013 - 10:35 PM.

#36 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:49 PM

They just crossed 10K!

#37 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:10 AM

They just crossed 10K!

Encuentro, do you know how many days it took to get to 10K?

Sounds like this could come to fruition!

#38 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:37 AM

Encuentro, do you know how many days it took to get to 10K?

Sounds like this could come to fruition!

Well, somebody has some deep pockets, because it was at a little over $5K earlier earlier today. Then somebody donated $5K. Jess Finn said that they had reached out to some celebrities. Maybe it was one of those celebrities that donated the large sum.

#39 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:01 PM

Well, somebody has some deep pockets, because it was at a little over $5K earlier earlier today. Then somebody donated $5K. Jess Finn said that they had reached out to some celebrities. Maybe it was one of those celebrities that donated the large sum.

That's really what is needed; those deep pockets. And you know it is out there ...... there must be many people who would like to see this happen who can pledge that type of money. It is just finding them , and getting the word out.

#40 Crimson_King

Crimson_King

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:08 PM

All apologies for being so negative and pessimistic earlier......i was in a bad mood that day anyway.

If we...... or someone...... can rally rick folks together to donate to this thing, it looks like it's coming along, even though it didn't exactly get off to a running start.

"we need someone, or somethin' new, something else to get us through".......to donate, that is.......( ;) )

Edited by Crimson_King, 17 July 2013 - 03:13 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users