Photo

The Doors from the outside.

15 replies to this topic

#1 Krammerhead

Krammerhead

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:27 AM

Watching this for the first time. I'm wanting to kick most of these people interviewed in the nuts. Patricia Kennealy even....and I bet she does have nuts.
zazzle.com/KrammersEmporium*

#2 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:38 PM

I watched it a few weeks ago on YouTube. Funny thing is I had to go back and see which documentary it was, that's how lame I thought it was. Except for a few exceptions it seems like most of the panel was just that "on the outside" of the Doors' circle.

Did you notice they didn't even use the Doors music in the background? It's some fake like crap mimicking their sound!
The future's uncertain
And the end is always near.

#3 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:35 PM

I loved it. In my opinion, it's a far better documentary than When You're Strange. I have it on DVD. I've seen it about 4 times now. It's a 2 1/2 hour documentary about The Doors' music! Imagine that. A documentary about the music, not Jim and his downward spiral. It's original, it's different, and it's balanced. That one of the aspects of the documentary that I loved. It isn't a Doors pep rally. It's a critical look at The Doors' music from different points of view, and there's disagreement among the various contributors. I enjoyed Patricia Kennealy's contribution to the documentary, because her role in the documentary is that of a music critic, and she makes some very good points.

#4 Krammerhead

Krammerhead

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:22 PM

With the exception of Richard Goldstein it just was a bunch of people trying to sound intelligent. To me it just went on and on. Couldn't wait for it to end, I'm not into music critics anyway.

#5 manhime

manhime

• Members
  • 890 posts
  • Interests:Peppermint Girl's

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:25 PM

With the exception of Richard Goldstein it just was a bunch of people trying to sound intelligent. To me it just went on and on. Couldn't wait for it to end, I'm not into music critics anyway.

How about movie critics? Do you like them?

#6 flashing bliss

flashing bliss

FB

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:54 PM

I enjoyed it because you rarely get to hear from, in particular Billy James and Marc Benno but also Richard Goldstein and Robert Chistgau. The witch may be mad as a box of frogs but she didn't make any claims about being his wife.

On the other hand, Richie Unterherger had little to say but took a long slice of the documentary saying it. I think he was the worst of some lame contributions.
Flash

#7 jlo

jlo

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:01 PM

I enjoyed it because you rarely get to hear from, in particular Billy James and Marc Benno but also Richard Goldstein and Robert Chistgau. The witch may be mad as a box of frogs but she didn't make any claims about being his wife.

On the other hand, Richie Unterherger had little to say but took a long slice of the documentary saying it. I think he was the worst of some lame contributions.

omg flashing bliss...this made me laugh! you're funny.

i watched it this morning / afternoon. i enjoyed richard goldstein's point of view. i have no basis for this, but he seems credible to me. the only thing i know him from is the pbs critique show.

and re: the witch...i kept thinking of mizscarlett's article where she asked: "on horseback, patricia?" and, i was mesmerized by those goggles, er, i mean glasses. power frames! :)

Edited by jlo, 16 June 2013 - 08:08 PM.

...no time to wallow in the mire...

#8 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts
  • Interests:Politics; History (Medieval English, Victorian English and American, esp. William Bonney/Lincoln County War); Permaculture; Mexican and Moroccan Folk Art and Vernacular Architecture

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:37 PM

omg flashing bliss...this made me laugh! you're funny.

i watched it this morning / afternoon. i enjoyed richard goldstein's point of view. i have no basis for this, but he seems credible to me. the only thing i know him from is the pbs critique show.

and re: the witch...i kept thinking of mizscarlett's article where she asked: "on horseback, patricia?" and, i was mesmerized by those goggles, er, i mean glasses. power frames! :)

O lord yes, the power frames! Those were a very big deal, back in the day. I think I've mentioned the kit I had, several lenses in different colors with one set of frames, and you could switch out the lenses depending on your outfit of the day...

And by the way, speaking of old memories, THIS tv is showing old (and pretty rancid) Don Johnson movies. Don seems to be all over the place in the last week or two, which probably means he's on his way out.

Damn, he really was a gorgeous man in his prime. Can you imagine how it must have been, back in the late 1960s, with those two beautiful boys--Jim & Don--prowling the clubs and hangouts of West Hollywood?

I'm glad I was still at home in Illinois--there's no way in the world I could have handled those two, singularly or one at at a time.
I still believe in the Cosmic Giggle, even if Rolling Stone doesn't any more.

#9 jlo

jlo

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:02 PM

i haven't seen don johnson in a long time, so i googled him and if this is a recent picture, he still looks good!

http://www.hollywood...-million-420358

i hope i didn't offend you, miz, with my goggles comment...it's just that those glasses are so tremendous. i kept thinking they needed windshield wipers...

#10 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts
  • Interests:Politics; History (Medieval English, Victorian English and American, esp. William Bonney/Lincoln County War); Permaculture; Mexican and Moroccan Folk Art and Vernacular Architecture

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:08 PM

i haven't seen don johnson in a long time, so i googled him and if this is a recent picture, he still looks good!

http://www.hollywood...-million-420358

i hope i didn't offend you, miz, with my goggles comment...it's just that those glasses are so tremendous. i kept thinking they needed windshield wipers...

Of course I'm mortally offended, you goofball! (NOT)

I just wish Don Johnson et al. would come forward and talk about those heady days of the late 70s early 80s (or late 60s/early 70s) when those beautiful boys prowled the Hollywood Hills and no pretty woman was safe from their come-ons.

I hope he hasn't gone all Christian Fundie on us, because that would just be too sad and sorry to bear, you know what I mean?

#11 jlo

jlo

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:36 PM

whew! :lol:

it would be kind of cool if people like don johnson who knew jim would talk about him. i wonder, though, do you think they don't know that people are still interested?

#12 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:57 PM

What is this Don Johnson, Jim Morrison story? I'm lost. They were buds?
The future's uncertain

#13 jlo

jlo

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:54 PM

What is this Don Johnson, Jim Morrison story? I'm lost. They were buds?

hi queenhwy!
mizscarlett eluded to the fact that jim and don johnson were friends in this thread: http://thedoors.com/...l="don johnson"

maybe miz would elaborate :)

#14 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:12 PM

hi queenhwy!
mizscarlett eluded to the fact that jim and don johnson were friends in this thread: http://thedoors.com/...l="don johnson"

maybe miz would elaborate :)

Yeah, I saw that. I didn't know if it was a joke or not! Thx!
The future's uncertain

#15 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:10 PM

Yeah, I saw that. I didn't know if it was a joke or not! Thx!

No, it's not a joke, I just don't remember much from those days. What I DO remember is when Miami Vice was in its heyday in the mid-1980s and a very big deal was made about the all-Doors episode. IIRC I watched it at a friend's house and was quite pleased and thrilled that Don Johnson would honor his old friend that way, since at that time he was a major, major star.

Edited by mizscarlett43, 17 June 2013 - 11:11 PM.

#16 Krammerhead

Krammerhead

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:24 AM

How about movie critics? Do you like them?

Not particularly. I don't read them at all (nor watch them on TV).

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users