Photo

Live At The Hollywood Bowl - New Edition

12 replies to this topic

#1 freedomgirl

freedomgirl

• Members
  • 374 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Music, Movies, Poetry, trying to get people in my little surrounding to learn to think on their own, not what they´re told..., to realize their head is the only place to be free.

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:14 PM

The impossible just happened, The Doors were on a German tv statation... I´m still in shock. :) I know it´s hard to believe for you lucky onces in the States but over here I don´t remember when The Doors were on tv last. Probably back then when Jim was still alive... The showed the Live At The Hollywood Bowl concert and the first thing I noticed was that the quality of the picture seemed to be much better. Then I realized that there were songs like Hello I Love You, or Spanish Caraven that I don´t have on my DVD. There also were image settings from different angels I never saw before either. After the show was finished I checked at Amazon and saw there´s a new DVD from the Hollywood Bowl concert available since Oktober 2012. I hope nobody posted it here before, but I thought it was worth posting it. Unfortunately for some reason I can´t get the link to it on the board.
...He communicated with emotion, rage, grace, and wisdom. He offered very little in the way of compromise...

#2 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:41 PM

They completely hauled over the HB concert. It is in HD and they added the "new" songs. Engineer Bruce Botnick talks in detail about patching in the songs b/c the original audio was destroyed. It was all a bit to technical for me and I'm even worse at explaining it. But like you said the picture is amazing. It looks like it was filmed in 2012, or at least I think so.

It has great interviews with Ray and Robbie. If you can, buy it and see the whole thing. It is worth it! Or check out YouTube, they might have snippets of it.
The future's uncertain
And the end is always near.

#3 Just Another Dark Witness

Just Another Dark Witness

I'm hiding THE BLUE BUS.... In my pants!

• Members
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:18 PM

I was at the original show. It was fun.
Fish heads fish heads, roly poly fish heads...... Eat them up, yum....

#4 daniel@falaschi.net

daniel@falaschi.net

• Registered Users
  • 298 posts
  • Interests:Music<br />Outdoors sports<br />Geology

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:51 PM

This new edition blows the 1987 cd and vhs tape away. the restoring id brilliant, sound and audio wise- considering this happened in 1968.
The extras are really entertaining.
Bring back the Q&A thread!

#5 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts
  • Interests:European History, Riding horses, Poetry, listening to the Wind

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:24 PM

I was at the original show. It was fun.

I was there too. It was my first time to attend the Hollywood Bowl. I remember the evening sky and what a lovely evening it was. I thought the sound was really fantastic considering it was outdoors. The audience was fairly mellow in contrast to the September performance of Jimi Hendrix at the Bowl.

Do you remember much about the eveving? I thought Jim performed well along with the rest of the band.
HE COURTED DEATH LIKE IT WAS A DARK ELUSIVE SWEETHEART

#6 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:27 PM

They completely hauled over the HB concert. It is in HD and they added the "new" songs. Engineer Bruce Botnick talks in detail about patching in the songs b/c the original audio was destroyed. It was all a bit to technical for me and I'm even worse at explaining it. But like you said the picture is amazing. It looks like it was filmed in 2012, or at least I think so.

It has great interviews with Ray and Robbie. If you can, buy it and see the whole thing. It is worth it! Or check out YouTube, they might have snippets of it.

The impossible just happened, The Doors were on a German tv statation... I´m still in shock. :) I know it´s hard to believe for you lucky onces in the States but over here I don´t remember when The Doors were on tv last. Probably back then when Jim was still alive... The showed the Live At The Hollywood Bowl concert and the first thing I noticed was that the quality of the picture seemed to be much better. Then I realized that there were songs like Hello I Love You, or Spanish Caraven that I don´t have on my DVD. There also were image settings from different angels I never saw before either. After the show was finished I checked at Amazon and saw there´s a new DVD from the Hollywood Bowl concert available since Oktober 2012. I hope nobody posted it here before, but I thought it was worth posting it. Unfortunately for some reason I can´t get the link to it on the board.

That is great to hear.....I am going to order it right away.

Thanks you all!

#7 Just Another Dark Witness

Just Another Dark Witness

I'm hiding THE BLUE BUS.... In my pants!

• Members
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:53 PM

I also went to the Hendrix show. I don't recall much about that show though...
Fish heads fish heads, roly poly fish heads...... Eat them up, yum....

#8 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:11 AM

I also went to the Hendrix show. I don't recall much about that show though...

At the Jimi Hendrix concert the audience went wild and a bunch of people jumped into the fountain and splashed around. Then more people followed suit and jumped into the fountain and started to get the stage wet and Jimi had to back away or get electrocuted. The stage had cords and wires hooked up to various equipment and guitars that were getting wet. The police came in ...I mean probably at least 20 police went into the fountain and dragged these people out of there. They refused to get out of the fountain and the police became brutal...dragging them out and hitting them with bully sticks. I had never seen such brutality up close. And coming out of the wild west (Texas) I had not ever encountered such rage from police to citizens. It made me think about the Watts Riots.

Jimi just kept playing like a trooper. He really possessed a unearthly and enchanting quality. He was as much of a shaman as Jim. We all surrendered to his gathering of the tribe with this brilliant master magician

The Doors concert in total contrast was mild and pleasant. An evening to float out on to the Milky Way. All you had to do was breath in the air. You could cut the air with a knife.

Edited by Texasky, 10 July 2013 - 02:13 AM.

#9 Pedro Kazit

Pedro Kazit

• Registered Users
  • 4,515 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:14 AM

Hey Tex, talks about the others 2 Doors shows(thanks for your words about Hollywood Bowl 68).

#10 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:08 PM

You guys are lucky to have seen in concert the greatest entertainers in the world! Do you guys have any pics or memorabilia from those shows?
The future's uncertain
And the end is always near.

#11 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

You guys are lucky to have seen in concert the greatest entertainers in the world! Do you guys have any pics or memorabilia from those shows?

JADW recorded the HB show which I believe is the only completely authentic recording of the entire show. The official releases have numerous overdubs.

#12 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:58 AM

Hi queenhwy, well, the only thing I have to show is what you have already viewed. You know over many moves over the years, I do not have any programs. I am sure they are on the internet somewhere or on ebay.

#13 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:03 AM

Hey Tex, talks about the others 2 Doors shows(thanks for your words about Hollywood Bowl 68).

Hi Pedro,

Thank you again for your wonderful contribution!

The first time I saw the Doors was in Ft. Worth, Texas in 1967 at the Will Rogers Exhibit Building on September 3. The next day would have been Labor Day and I was going to start my freshman year of college. I remember how very hot it was...it had to be over 100 degrees. And I was standing with a friend in a crowd of about 150 people when the back door opened and they all walked inside SLOWLY like they were all in slow motion. Jim walked in last and he was dressed in black leather from head toe. I just could not imagine how he could be in that black leather and survive the outdoor heat. But he looked cool as a cucumber...he looked refreshed. We watched Jim walk up slowly and then they all just stood there near the stage. But this was a really small crowd and we stood about 20 feet away from the group. There was no police, I don't even remember a security guard. They stood there for roughly 20 minutes before they went onstage. And my friend and I intently watched Jim. He just stood there by himself staring into space. And then all of a sudden a little girl walked over to him...she was maybe 10-12 years old. And Jim lit up...he just beamed at this child standing in front of him. He had gone from standing as still as a statue to this very animated and cheerful person. And the rest of the Doors were just all standing there alone. And anyone could have walked up....there was no security around them. And then they went on stage and we all sat by the stage on fold up chairs. I remember the stage was small and with a big pole close to the middle. And during the long instrumental part of Light MY Fire, Jim walked over and wrapped his arms around the pole and just leaned in and stayed wrapped around the pole during the song. That stage was just so small, it was like the pole became a focal point for Jim during the songs.

I wish so badly I had had the nerve to walk over but I didn't and I had not met Jim yet. Big sigh because he would have been friendly and I feel I missed something really important since they were on tour. They were just getting off the ground and LMF was played constantly that entire summer. It was all over the radio on all of the rock and roll stations. They were unlike any band I had seen or heard in concert. In my memory, it is one of the best concerts I had the good fortune of attending simply because it was a small audience which gave the the atmosphere of intimacy and we all were gathered so close to the stage. The Doors were in fine form.

Edited by Texasky, 14 July 2013 - 06:03 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users