Photo

Wikipedia "Death of...."

Jim Morrison on Wikipedia

3 replies to this topic

#1 Crimson_King

Crimson_King

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • Location:This sh*t town called Escondido, California (trash scattered everywhere!)
  • Interests:French Philosophy, poetry, psychology, sociology, hermeneutics, semiotics, cinema, sleeping.....and (right now) Doors, Steely Dan, Talking Heads, King Crimson-Fripp, Yes, Jethro Tull, Eno, Roxy Music, Bruford, etc......even, yes, The Monkees!

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:36 AM

hey,

I just noticed that there is a lengthy separate article on Wiki regarding the death of Jimi Hendrix, but not one on Morrison. Why is this? Should one of us start a new entry on Wikipedia for Jim's death?

I would assume that, if it were started and expanded upon, it would FAR surpass the Hendrix article in length, since the controversy itself surrounding his death would make it over 100 pages alone! ha!

Any volunteers?

"Naked we come, Bruised we go.....Nude pastry for the slow soft worms below" - JDM

#2 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:17 PM

My issue with wiki is it is not always truthful. I was reading the other day about Jim Morrison's movie project HWY, and it said it was filmed in the Mojave desert. I had always read it was the Palm Spring area. I found a web site that confirmed my suspicion. Plus, I had driven through that area twice in five years and it looked familiar.

So with JM's death it could be littered with facts, and then all the disputes. You'd never be able to tell fact from fiction unless you had well known sources who have already confirmed them.

If someone wants to do it, I'll read it for sure!
The future's uncertain
And the end is always near.

#3 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts
  • Interests:Politics; History (Medieval English, Victorian English and American, esp. William Bonney/Lincoln County War); Permaculture; Mexican and Moroccan Folk Art and Vernacular Architecture

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:06 PM

My issue with wiki is it is not always truthful. I was reading the other day about Jim Morrison's movie project HWY, and it said it was filmed in the Mojave desert. I had always read it was the Palm Spring area. I found a web site that confirmed my suspicion. Plus, I had driven through that area twice in five years and it looked familiar.

So with JM's death it could be littered with facts, and then all the disputes. You'd never be able to tell fact from fiction unless you had well known sources who have already confirmed them.

If someone wants to do it, I'll read it for sure!

I'm too lazy to check my geography (actually I'm watching a movie) but I'm pretty sure that Palm Springs is right on the edge of the Mojave.

As for the accuracy of Wikipedia, in my experience it differs widely, depending on the subject. For instance, Patricia Kennealy and her minions--one of whom had some kind of official connection to Wikipedia, if I'm remembering correctly--dominated the main Morrison entry, and no matter how often Salli Stevenson tried to give it a little reality, they'd invariably change it back, and ultimately banned her from the website.

I've never read it, myself--I have a weak stomach -- but apparently they'd pretty much erased Pam from Jim's life, or at the very least made Patricia her equal in importance. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, I've found Wikipedia fairly useful for subjects pertaining to history, science etc. since those entries are posted by professionals who back up their material with good, old-fashioned cites/footnotes.
I still believe in the Cosmic Giggle, even if Rolling Stone doesn't any more.

#4 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:59 PM

I'm too lazy to check my geography (actually I'm watching a movie) but I'm pretty sure that Palm Springs is right on the edge of the Mojave.

As for the accuracy of Wikipedia, in my experience it differs widely, depending on the subject. For instance, Patricia Kennealy and her minions--one of whom had some kind of official connection to Wikipedia, if I'm remembering correctly--dominated the main Morrison entry, and no matter how often Salli Stevenson tried to give it a little reality, they'd invariably change it back, and ultimately banned her from the website.

I've never read it, myself--I have a weak stomach -- but apparently they'd pretty much erased Pam from Jim's life, or at the very least made Patricia her equal in importance. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, I've found Wikipedia fairly useful for subjects pertaining to history, science etc. since those entries are posted by professionals who back up their material with good, old-fashioned cites/footnotes.

I googled Palm Springs to the Mojave desert and it said almost 4 hours. It looks like it is North of Palm Springs. I know they filmed HWY in different locations in that area. Tahquitz Falls, etc. The film shows Jim driving his Shelby Mustang on the 10 heading west, which coincides with the Palm Springs area. Plus, I found a web site that explains it all. Having driven from New Mexico, Arizona and into California on the 10 was cool.

And regarding Jim's wiki page. It seems to change all the time. I read it every once in a while. It has a relationship section. Kenneally doesn't have that big of a mention. Just a paragraph or so. It mentions a few famous lovers and that he had relations with his fans! But I do know that if you continued to go in and edit the pages they would ban you. I've noticed YouTube in the comment section is filled with misinformation. It drives me crazy! People want Jim Morrison to be the person in their minds created from long ago with his wild behavior and drinking ways, not the real human being, so with that you cannot win and change people's minds.

You should read his wiki page, it is not so bad.
The future's uncertain
And the end is always near.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users