Photo

Jim's friends are lying.

183 replies to this topic

#121 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts
  • Interests:Politics; History (Medieval English, Victorian English and American, esp. William Bonney/Lincoln County War); Permaculture; Mexican and Moroccan Folk Art and Vernacular Architecture

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

That sounds like the same cross-country journey told about in "No One Here." I forget the friend's name and don't have the book in front of me. The one anecdote that particularly stands out in my mind is Jim and his young friend getting picked up by an older woman when hitch-hiking. She propositions them and the friend kiboshes the deal because he's so frightened! :)

OT: dang, this thread is wandering all over the place - love it!

Sorry I missed this first time around. I only read NOHGOA once, in 1980 when it was first published, then I tore it to shreds and threw it out in a rage.

If this story is in it I may just have to pick up another copy. Maybe. One of these days... B)
I still believe in the Cosmic Giggle, even if Rolling Stone doesn't any more.

#122 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:52 AM

That sounds like the same cross-country journey told about in "No One Here." I forget the friend's name and don't have the book in front of me. The one anecdote that particularly stands out in my mind is Jim and his young friend getting picked up by an older woman when hitch-hiking. She propositions them and the friend kiboshes the deal because he's so frightened! :)

OT: dang, this thread is wandering all over the place - love it!

His name is Bryan Gates. The cross-country story is interesting. They were given a ride by a cousin of LBJ, taken to LBJ' s birthplace, then to the LBJ ranch where they were fed barbecue chicken.

#123 Shelby68

Shelby68

• Members
  • 927 posts
  • Interests:Music, nature, the getting of wisdom

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

Holy cow - another link, and a direct one, to JFK. Stranger than fiction indeed.

And now for something completely different, to quote Monty Python.

MizScarlett, this question hearkens back to when you related Jim's attitude toward gay men. He was tolerant but said he "couldn't understand how men could do that to each other." Doesn't this seem like an ironic stance for him to take, given his preference (if we are to believe No One Here Gets Out Alive) for anal sex? Maybe I'm being dense. I'm here to learn and understand, that's all! Maybe his distaste was for men having sexual contact of any kind with each other.

#124 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts
  • Interests:Politics; History (Medieval English, Victorian English and American, esp. William Bonney/Lincoln County War); Permaculture; Mexican and Moroccan Folk Art and Vernacular Architecture

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:39 PM

Doesn't this seem like an ironic stance for him to take, given his preference (if we are to believe No One Here Gets Out Alive) for anal sex?

I don't remember reading that in NOHGOA--at least not the first edition from 1980, the only edition I've ever read or probably ever will-- but if it is there it's just more Hopkins BS (or maybe wishful thinking, now that Hopkins has revealed his own rather strange offbeat preferences?)

Jim's sexual practices were quite normal--even boring, to hear Ms. Kennealy tell it ("He's so straight his idea of perversion is to do it from the back!* He even kisses with his mouth closed...")

My experience was similar as far as the normal part went, but I didn't find him the least bit boring, nor did he ever kiss me with his mouth closed. :lol:

* She meant the rather inelegantly titled "doggy style."

Edited by mizscarlett43, 18 October 2013 - 04:56 PM.

#125 Shelby68

Shelby68

• Members
  • 927 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:20 PM

I don't remember reading that in NOHGOA--at least not the first edition from 1980, the only edition I've ever read or probably ever will-- but if it is there it's just more Hopkins BS (or maybe wishful thinking, now that Hopkins has revealed his own rather strange offbeat preferences?)

Thank you for that - it was what I was thinking re Hopkins, since his current "situation" in Thailand was discussed here recently.

#126 first statue

first statue

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:45 PM

My family dates back to the 1550's- Santa Fe, N.M and that's before all the White Europeans/pilgrims came

Interesting. If I may ask, your family were Caucasians?

Edited by first statue, 19 November 2013 - 03:47 PM.

#127 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:02 PM

Interesting. If I may ask, your family were Caucasians?

My Moms side is English, Scottish, Irish. My Grandfathers family on Dads side came from Spain. So I'm a mix
of Spanish/Mex/white from my parents. A mutt as some say!
The future's uncertain
And the end is always near.

#128 first statue

first statue

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:59 PM

My Moms side is English, Scottish, Irish. My Grandfathers family on Dads side came from Spain. So I'm a mix
of Spanish/Mex/white from my parents. A mutt as some say!

I see, an interesting mix no doubt.

#129 StupidGirl

StupidGirl

• Banned
  • 2,835 posts
  • Interests:the truth...for it can be adjusted.....

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:34 AM

Doesn't this seem like an ironic stance for him to take, given his preference (if we are to believe No One Here Gets Out Alive) for anal sex?

Jim's sexual practices were quite normal--even boring, to hear Ms. Kennealy tell it ("He's so straight his idea of perversion is to do it from the back!* He even kisses with his mouth closed...")

My experience was similar as far as the normal part went, but I didn't find him the least bit boring, nor did he ever kiss me with his mouth closed. :lol:

* She meant the rather inelegantly titled "doggy style."

I musta skipped a beat, being so cold, can't talk about sex, Mizz Elegant...

#130 StupidGirl

StupidGirl

• Banned
  • 2,835 posts
  • Interests:the truth...for it can be adjusted.....

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:37 AM

I see, an interesting mix no doubt.

hey,first statue is kinda good lookin' but, i see Arian
Brothers written all over him.Don't tell him if you white, black, whatever.

#131 first statue

first statue

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

hey,first statue is kinda good lookin' but, i see Arian
Brothers written all over him.Don't tell him if you white, black, whatever.

Haha what a funny prejudice SG, apparently made solely on how you look at me thru my avatar photo which is interesting actually. I am white though but not my life choice. Given that nothing like that has ever been said to me so far I am now trying to see why is that so. Perhaps I look too lowering on this one I should have set a "Elvis Presley" smile or something. I am however completely the opposite person of what you're suggesting here, if there is anything in my life that I despise the most it's Craig Cobb kind of people (google Craig Cobb) and white supremacy philosophy itself. A complete crap.

All in all a good try SG :D

Btw thanks for the compliment although to direct that to Janet and Candy would make more sense from my point of view :rolleyes: .

This is what I stand for:

Edited by first statue, 28 November 2013 - 03:30 PM.

#132 first statue

first statue

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:51 PM

If true reason for thinking like that was my question to queenhwy about here family ancestry then I must reassure you there was no bad intention on my side at all, the question was actually conditioned by her statement in a post, I'm quoting it here: "My family dates back to the 1550's- Santa Fe, N.M and that's before all the White Europeans/pilgrims came". So if it was before the White came I wanted to know who those people were, no more no less.

Edited by first statue, 28 November 2013 - 05:16 PM.

#133 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:30 AM

If true reason for thinking like that was my question to queenhwy about here family ancestry then I must reassure you there was no bad intention on my side at all, the question was actually conditioned by her statement in a post, I'm quoting it here: "My family dates back to the 1550's- Santa Fe, N.M and that's before all the White Europeans/pilgrims came". So if it was before the White came I wanted to know who those people were, no more no less.

Good question. Without actually looking it up, I'm pretty sure the Spanish were in Old Mexico (as well as what's now the states of Florida, Arizona and New Mexico at least) as early as the 1550s. So when don't they qualify as "White Europeans??"

Edited by mizscarlett43, 02 December 2013 - 02:34 AM.

#134 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:51 AM

Edited by queenhwy, 02 December 2013 - 03:39 AM.

The future's uncertain

#135 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:19 AM

As far as I'm concerned most Spanish people do not consider themselves white. I'm half, so I can claim both. My pop was an American of Mexican/Spanish/ Native American descent. He did not consider himself white, even though he was an American. I didn't explain my comment very well, so I can see the confusion.

The pilgrims that came in 1620 were not Spanish, but white Europeans.

Race is a tricky subject, so I don't like to talk too much about it. People are funny about it. It's like politics and religion- taboo topics in social situations!

I'm sorry, queenhwy, but IMO you've missed my point entirely: the Spanish were "white Europeans" by definition. Spain is in Europe, isn't it? at least it was the last time I looked at a map.

It seems to me that you're getting the Conquistadores mixed up with the Mestizos who came later, after the Conquistadores had had time to intermarry with the native Mexican Indians, and here in New Mexico at least, I've encountered a number of (rather racist) people who pride themselves on their pure European (i.e. Spanish) heritage, and look down on those they consider to be of mixed race (Spanish and Indian) and whom they therefore consider to be inferior.

Edited by mizscarlett43, 02 December 2013 - 03:27 AM.

#136 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:40 AM

I'm sorry, queenhwy, but IMO you've missed my point entirely: the Spanish were "white Europeans" by definition. Spain is in Europe, isn't it? at least it was the last time I looked at a map.

It seems to me that you're getting the Conquistadores mixed up with the Mestizos who came later, after the Conquistadores had had time to intermarry with the native Mexican Indians, and here in New Mexico at least, I've encountered a number of (rather racist) people who pride themselves on their pure European (i.e. Spanish) heritage, and look down on those they consider to be of mixed race (Spanish and Indian) and whom they therefore consider to be inferior.

You're right. I get your point, it's hard to type out an explanation. And I know what you mean about your last few sentences. I've heard those things also.

The future's uncertain

#137 flashing bliss

flashing bliss

FB

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:51 PM

This post caught my attention because of the dignified way First Statue rejected any claims of racism (which I'm sure were unintended). I'd hope none of us here subscribe to such small-minded views. I see a fair amount of it in my community and 'complete crap' sums it up nicely.

Miz I dunno about "White European by definition". Cortes took Mexico City in the 1520's, very soon after the re-conquest of Spain. Large areas of Spain had been dominated by Moorish north Africa for about six centuries before 1492. This is before saying anything about the population who hid their Islamic, Jewish and Gypsy origin in sixteenth century Spain.

Getting away from the Spanish ethnicity in 1550 though, in spite of disease and war, I doubt whether Europeans had had much genetic impact on the make up of the entire Mexican population after a mere 30 years, particularly the north of Mexico.
Flash

#138 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:57 AM

This post caught my attention because of the dignified way First Statue rejected any claims of racism (which I'm sure were unintended). I'd hope none of us here subscribe to such small-minded views. I see a fair amount of it in my community and 'complete crap' sums it up nicely.

Miz I dunno about "White European by definition". Cortes took Mexico City in the 1520's, very soon after the re-conquest of Spain. Large areas of Spain had been dominated by Moorish north Africa for about six centuries before 1492. This is before saying anything about the population who hid their Islamic, Jewish and Gypsy origin in sixteenth century Spain.

Getting away from the Spanish ethnicity in 1550 though, in spite of disease and war, I doubt whether Europeans had had much genetic impact on the make up of the entire Mexican population after a mere 30 years, particularly the north of Mexico.

I didn't feel first statues comments had any bad intentions like he said. I wasn't being racist either. I made a statement and its hard to explain certain things on here. I backed out b/c it's such a public site and no one monitors it.

I don't care what anyone is, I just want to talk about the Doors and all. :)

The future's uncertain

#139 first statue

first statue

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:22 PM

Cool out people hehe, it's just SG who knows how to create a post in order to provoke a comment. She wanted reaction and got one. I'm no bad in that either (if necessary). To me it's funny answer to that type of prejudice as in that area I am like a fish in the water given that I am who I am and not who she feared I might of been ;) .

I knew queenhwy is smart and won't try to make "something" out of nothing. Thanks queen.

Sure I didn't have bad intentions, in fact didn't have any at all niether did SG have with her prejudice really, she likes me, she just wanted to clear out whether I am or not one of those people she doesn't seem to like. Now she is safe and can go on with her love toward me :D .

Edited by first statue, 03 December 2013 - 01:31 PM.

#140 Shelby68

Shelby68

• Members
  • 927 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:17 PM

First Statue, that's a lovely photo of you. You don't look a bit like a white supremacist.

Edited by Shelby68, 03 December 2013 - 05:19 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users