Wonderland Avenue/Jim Talking

19 replies to this topic

#1 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts
  • Interests:European History, Riding horses, Poetry, listening to the Wind

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

In Danny's book there are a couple of pages where Danny is recalling an acid trip and being with JIm during this trip. He is writing about the experience and how Jim helped him through it. Jim's words are certainly deep and interesting.

http://s11.postimg.org/jg3mqinb7/page152.jpg

http://s23.postimg.org/eaeeawzxn/page153.jpg

http://s16.postimg.org/r86i0mb5x/page_154.jpg

Edited by Texasky, 04 October 2013 - 02:30 PM.

HE COURTED DEATH LIKE IT WAS A DARK ELUSIVE SWEETHEART

#2 manhime

manhime

• Members
  • 890 posts
  • Interests:Peppermint Girl's

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:49 PM

In Danny's book there are a couple of pages where Danny is recalling an acid trip and being with JIm during this trip. He is writing about the experience and how Jim helped him through it. Jim's words are certainly deep and interesting.

Can't get this link to work. Will keep trying

Try going to tiny url and put the url you want and it will make a new link. That might work.
http://tinyurl.com/

Edited by manhime, 29 September 2013 - 06:49 PM.

#3 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:18 PM

Try going to tiny url and put the url you want and it will make a new link. That might work.
http://tinyurl.com/

Thanks manhime for your help. But it isn't a picture, it is several pages from Wonderland Avenue. I scanned the pages and put them into word document but I cannot get them to highlight and paste onto the message board post.

#4 manhime

manhime

• Members
  • 890 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:37 PM

Thanks manhime for your help. But it isn't a picture, it is several pages from Wonderland Avenue. I scanned the pages and put them into word document but I cannot get them to highlight and paste onto the message board post.

OH I see. DId you scan it as a JPEG? That would be a reason. Can you scan to a PDF?

#5 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:39 PM

OH I see. DId you scan it as a JPEG? That would be a reason. Can you scan to a PDF?

Yes, it scanned as a JPEG.

So, it would have worked if scanned to PDF. Glad to learn that.....thanks so much for the helpful information!

#6 manhime

manhime

• Members
  • 890 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:14 PM

Yes, it scanned as a JPEG.

So, it would have worked if scanned to PDF. Glad to learn that.....thanks so much for the helpful information!

NO problem. You were trying to copy lines of a picture. Also you can try scanning as a Word Doc.

Edited by manhime, 02 October 2013 - 06:17 PM.

#7 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

http://s11.postimg.org/jg3mqinb7/page152.jpg

http://s23.postimg.org/eaeeawzxn/page153.jpg

http://s16.postimg.org/r86i0mb5x/page_154.jpg

Dan, thank you so much for your help. I couldn't have post these with out your very good computer skills. :)

Edited by Texasky, 04 October 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#8 Shelby68

Shelby68

• Members
  • 927 posts
  • Interests:Music, nature, the getting of wisdom

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:26 PM

I've never tried acid, though it intrigues me. Is it easy/possible to remember long, complex discussions like this when you're under the LSD influence? I'm not being a smart ass - I don't know what the experience is like, so I'm asking anyone here who might know.

#9 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:56 PM

Dan, thank you so much for your help. I couldn't have post these with out your very good computer skills. :)

Is that JM really talking to Danny or is it a dream? I haven't read the book, so I don't know much about it.

I like how JM said "make your own commandments".

I've never tried acid, never would. Not my thing, but I know people who have and loved it. You have to be open to that stuff, I'm to uptight for that! :)
The future's uncertain
And the end is always near.

#10 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:35 PM

The stories that Danny tells and his word for word recollections of coversations that took place 20 years prior to the publication of the book seem completely unrealistic. It's an entertaining read, but I regard it as historical fiction. It reads like a novel.

#11 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:18 AM

Is that JM really talking to Danny or is it a dream? I haven't read the book, so I don't know much about it.

I like how JM said "make your own commandments".

I've never tried acid, never would. Not my thing, but I know people who have and loved it. You have to be open to that stuff, I'm to uptight for that! :)

It's Danny describing his LSD trip with Jim. Jim was helping him through some of the anxiety. The reason I brought it up was that Danny somehow wrote about this in a way that I remember Jim and some of the very profound things he would say in his philosphies. Danny for some reason, was able to put this into words. I have no idea how he did this, maybe he had something Jim wrote and put it in these pages.

Jim was one of the most spiritual people I have ever known. If you read what is on those pages, that sounds so much like Jim. And because I have known Jim, I had been interested in spiritual teachings throughout my life. I just don't know how to even speak about Jim....he was only 27 when he died. He had a far superior idea of life and it's realities than anyone I have ever known even after all of these years.

Look where we worship.././//// Ahhhh....just brilliant when I think of those lines

#12 flashing bliss

flashing bliss

FB

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:01 PM

I've read it a few times..... if someone you looked up to said things as profound and like Danny, you really needed to break away from everything you had already known, I think you could remember bit's and pieces of such words.

It may be several conversations rolled into one - or maybe he wrote down the gist of it at some not too distant point. I doubt if it is word for word, but it's pretty wonderful even though it is more entertaining to write it like it only just happened.

OH! it won't bring up the link now.

Anyway, I wouldn't disbelieve Danny just because of the way he wrote.

Never used it but Aldous Huxley and other early LSD users would plan trips very carefully and have someone on hand to take care of the user. Being armed with comforting phrases like these as an essential part of guiding the user to a good trip or out of a bad one.
Flash

#13 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts
  • Interests:Politics; History (Medieval English, Victorian English and American, esp. William Bonney/Lincoln County War); Permaculture; Mexican and Moroccan Folk Art and Vernacular Architecture

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:59 PM

The stories that Danny tells and his word for word recollections of coversations that took place 20 years prior to the publication of the book seem completely unrealistic. It's an entertaining read, but I regard it as historical fiction. It reads like a novel.

According to Salli, Danny took extensive notes of his conversations with Jim, and worked very hard to make Wonderland Avenue as accurate as possible. I can vouch for his success; I don't remember Jim being quite as wordy as Danny sometimes makes him out to be, but he captured Jim's often sardonic (and very, very funny) tone perfectly.
I still believe in the Cosmic Giggle, even if Rolling Stone doesn't any more.

#14 flashing bliss

flashing bliss

FB

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:14 PM

Look where we worship.././//// Ahhhh....just brilliant when I think of those lines

Yep.... so wonderful. That one-liner is so economic - I've only just started getting to know Hemingway. Do you ladies know if he was influenced by or a particular fan of any works by that author?
Flash

#15 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts
  • Interests:Politics; History (Medieval English, Victorian English and American, esp. William Bonney/Lincoln County War); Permaculture; Mexican and Moroccan Folk Art and Vernacular Architecture

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:20 PM

Yep.... so wonderful. That one-liner is so economic - I've only just started getting to know Hemingway. Do you ladies know if he was influenced by or a particular fan of any works by that author?

Sorry to have missed this one before.

I'm sure he did read Hemingway. Everybody did, back then, especially the guys, but the only writer I remember ever discussing with him, however briefly, was Jorge Luis Borges--whom Jim pretended never to have heard of. I didn't believe him since Borges was so prominent back then, having had even made a brief appearance (as did Jim himself) in Mick Jagger's/Nicholas Roeg's 1968 film Performance (not released in this country until 1970.)

I'm even less convinced today, after Tony Funches' revelations that Jim was friends with Gabriel Garcia Marquez, one of the premier writers in the Magical Realism genre, as was Borges himself IIRC.

#16 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:59 PM

I didn't believe him since Borges was so prominent back then, having had even made a brief appearance (as did Jim himself) in Mick Jagger's/Nicholas Roeg's 1968 film Performance (not released in this country until 1970.).

This is the first I'm hearing of this. I checked IMDB. Why isn't Jim credited?
http://www.imdb.com/..._=tt_cl_sm#cast

#17 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:29 PM

This is the first I'm hearing of this. I checked IMDB. Why isn't Jim credited?
http://www.imdb.com/..._=tt_cl_sm#cast

Sorry, I was a little obscure. Jim's appearance in Performance was simply as a poster on the wall* while Turner (Mick Jagger) recited the famous lines (at least back then they were famous):

The only performance that makes it, that really makes it, that makes it all the way, is the performance that achieves madness! Right? Am I right?

There are other, subtler, Morrison references in Performance as well but it's been years and years since I've seen it so I can't be more specific. If you can get it from Netflix or a similar service I recommend it very highly.

_________

* Pretty much the same with Borges, as you'll see when you watch this seminal film.

Edited by mizscarlett43, 26 October 2013 - 09:40 PM.

#18 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:45 PM

Sorry, I was a little obscure. Jim's appearance in Performance was simply as a poster on the wall* while Turner (Mick Jagger) recited the famous lines (at least back then they were famous):

The only performance that makes it, that really makes it, that makes it all the way, is the performance that achieves madness! Right? Am I right?

There are other, subtler, Morrison references in Performance as well but it's been years and years since I've seen it so I can't be more specific. If you can get it from Netflix or a similar service I recommend it very highly.

_________

* Pretty much the same with Borges, as you'll see when you watch this seminal film.

Even a subtle Jagger/Morrison connection is pretty cool. I wonder what Mick really thought of Jim/The Doors and vice-versa. I know that Mick was in attendance at the Hollywood Bowl performance but didn't have high praise performance and that Jim was on his way his way to see The Stones when he got busted in Phoenix.

#19 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:02 PM

Even a subtle Jagger/Morrison connection is pretty cool. I wonder what Mick really thought of Jim/The Doors and vice-versa. I know that Mick was in attendance at the Hollywood Bowl performance but didn't have high praise performance and that Jim was on his way his way to see The Stones when he got busted in Phoenix.

You know, I've always wondered that myself--the Morrison/Jagger relationship, I mean. Recently I've come to suspect it may well have been a rather fond, even brotherly rivalry, rather than the hostile rivalry I'd heretofore thought it was. I wish I'd pursued this question more when I had the chance, but I was so determined back then to acknowledge Jim's rock stardom as little as possible, given his apparent disgust with the whole thing.

#20 flashing bliss

flashing bliss

FB

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:33 AM

Well they would have a shared love of the blues although coming in opposite directions over composing. Jagger & Co hardly writing any songs for three years and The Doors increasingly covering Willie Dixon.

Thanks re. Hemingway. I've not read much yet though we were introduced to The Old Man And The Sea at school. There are also trips to Africa and Paris but I take the point that Hemingway was familiar to nearly everyone.
Flash

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users