Photo

Doors' original demo

17 replies to this topic

#1 MeAndMyIv

MeAndMyIv

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 12:32 AM

Hi guys, I'm a long time Doors fan and I just recently read No One Here Gets Out Alive. I'm sorry if this has been discussed before but I've never head anything about it. I'm very interested in early demos and things for bands and especailly something like this from The Doors.

In NOHGOA it mentions that Jim, Ray, John and a bassist made an early demo at the World Pacific recording studio in Los Angeles. The demo had 6 songs including End Of The Night, Moonlight Drive, and My Eyes of Seen You. They used that demo to get signed, I think. Does anyone have any idea if that audio still exists?? It would seriously be one of the greatest things in my life if I could hear that, it would be so cool to hear what that sounds like. So are all the copies lost with no record of the audio or does it still exist?

Also, at one point in An American Prayer there is Jim singing some blues song in the background with guitar. Where did this come from?? It's extremely awesome. Did Jim record this (a capella) along with the rest of An American Prayer and the guitar was added later, or did this come from something else -- a studio outtake, a demo perhaps?

Thank you SO MUCH fellow Doors' fans for any insight you can offer! Thankyou!

#2 The Royal Sperm

The Royal Sperm

Devil Sperm

• Members
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 12:33 AM

ray manzarek got one
Waiting for the Big Fat Black Complete Matrix Box Set!

#3 MeAndMyIv

MeAndMyIv

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 12:37 AM

Thank you for telling me that. I suppose I have to become mega-rich or mega-famous (or both?) and ask Ray personally if I can have a copy or at least here it. (I am NOT being sarcastic).

#4 GaragePoet2001

GaragePoet2001

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 12:46 AM

I'm pretty sure you're talking about the demos that appeared on the Doors' 1997 box set. You should check that out. It also has a rehearsal of "I Will Never Be Untrue," the blues song from "An American Prayer" which I'm sure you're looking for... get the box set.

#5 MeAndMyIv

MeAndMyIv

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 12:51 AM

That's awesome, thank you. I definetly will get the box set since it seems like those demos or on it. Maybe not all the demos are on it, I dunno, but any of 'em is great. Thanks for pointing it out to me!

Wait I take it back, I do think all the demos are on there. These are the tracks labaled (demo) -

Hello, I Love You
Moonlight Drive
Summer's Almost Gone
End of the Night
Go Insane
My Eyes Have Seen You
Hycanith House

That's 7 so any 6 of those might be the alleged original demo. My guess is that My Eyes Have Seen You isn't from the demo since NOHGOA says it was titled Go Insane at that point. But whatever, I don't know what I'm talking about without hearing the songs...

Thanks again, guys.

#6 HungryHippo

HungryHippo

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 06:14 AM

the original '65 demos are all out there. The Doors 1997 box set saw the official release of these demos all from '65:

My Eyes Have Seen You
Go Insane
Hello, I Love You
Moonlight Drive
End of the Night
Summer's Almost Gone

The Doors also recorded a demo of Indian Summer at the same time, but that has yet to be "propery" released.

As for the Hyacinth House demo, that was recorded at Robby Krieger's house in 1969

*edit*

That blues song from American Prayer was taken from an audience recording of a poetry reading Morrison participated in back in May 1969. After reciting An American Prayer, Robby Krieger joined Jim onstage and they played a few blues songs.

#7 King Morrison

King Morrison

• Members
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 06:56 AM

He mean original acetate demo

#8 Kostis

Kostis

• Members
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 07:05 AM

QUOTE(Me And My IV @ Nov 13 2005, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In NOHGOA it mentions that Jim, Ray, John and a bassist made an early demo at the World Pacific recording studio in Los Angeles. The demo had 6 songs including End Of The Night, Moonlight Drive, and My Eyes of Seen You. They used that demo to get signed, I think. [/b]

Also, if you wanna read some first-hand stories,
try John's "Riders on the storm" and Ray's "Light my fire"

I wouldn't throw my self on fire for Sugarman's book

#9 MeAndMyIv

MeAndMyIv

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 08:25 PM

Thanks.

One last thing, I assume the box set isn't too recent? Is the sound quality good? 'Cause my old Best Of The Doors album is mixed so gosh darn low & quiet, it's crazy.

#10 Hamlet

Hamlet

• Members
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 09:15 PM

it´s the best, man!

they have a concert from NY included.

Bring out your dead...bring out your dead...bring out your dead...
wes just joy-ridin

#11 GaragePoet2001

GaragePoet2001

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 01:32 AM

Yes, I would definitely recommend an upgrade. Check out the 1997 box set by the Doors, and if you're still looking for another "best of" compilation, I'd check out "Legacy." Otherwise, save up & get the "Complete Studio Recordings" box set. Then maybe a copy of "The Doors In Concert" and "An American Prayer" and you should be in good shape to start collecting some of the BMA releases, which are excellent.

#12 MeAndMyIv

MeAndMyIv

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 02:08 AM

Well I already have all the main studio albums plus An American Prayer and The Doors In Concert. wink.gif The 2 disc "Best of the Doors" was the first CD I ever bought. smile.gif All I meant by mentioning that was that the sound was mixed pretty low. I mean it was 3 in the morning last time I listened to it so maybe I was too dazed to asses the sound properly, but I think next to my disc of An American Prayer that I listened to directly prior to putting in the best of, it seemed like the latter disc was mixed excruciatingly low, and it annoyed me.

I went to Best Buy and Borders looking for the box set today but nobody had it... worst of all they didn't even have it in their databases. I guess I have to order it online (I strongly dislike doing that for some reason which I'm not familiar with).

#13 zaval80

zaval80

• Banned
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 11:46 AM

Get yourself 1999 box, "The Complete Recordings", 6 studio albums and a best-of comp disc from the 1997 box set there, remastered loud, you'll like it.

#14 WhoDoYouLoveNow

WhoDoYouLoveNow

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 08:36 PM

well i'll tell you a story of whiskey and mystics and men
da-da-da
and about the believers and how the whole thing began
da-da-da

#15 universalmind69

universalmind69

• Members
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE(WhoDoYouLoveNow @ Nov 16 2005, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well i'll tell you a story of whiskey and mystics and men
da-da-da
and about the believers and how the whole thing began
da-da-da
[/b]

.....first there were women and children
obeying the moon....da-da-daaa...
then daylight brought wisdom and fever
and sickness too soon....da-da-daaa...
You can try to remind me
instead of the other, you can.
You can help to insure
that we all insecure our command.
If you don’t give a listen,
I won’t try to tell your new hand.
This is it; can’t you see
that we all have our ends in the band.

And if all of the teachers and
preachers of wealth were arraigned,
We could see quite a future
for me in the literal sands.
And if all the people
could claim to inspect such regrets,
well, we’d have no forgiveness,
forgetfullness, faithful remorse.
So I tell you, I tell you,
I tell you we must send away.
:jim:

beautiful.... rolleyes.gif

#16 MeAndMyIv

MeAndMyIv

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE(zaval80 @ Nov 16 2005, 03:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Get yourself 1999 box, "The Complete Recordings", 6 studio albums and a best-of comp disc from the 1997 box set there, remastered loud, you'll like it.
[/b]

Thanks for telling me, that's excellent that they are mastered loud. Unfortunately I don't have the money to spend on a box set of the albums since I already have them, but I certainly put the Complete Recordings box set on my list of things to remember to get someday.

#17 Travisionary

Travisionary

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE(Me And My IV @ Nov 16 2005, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[quote]
QUOTE(zaval80 @ Nov 16 2005, 03:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/quote][quote]
[/b][/quote]

Thanks for telling me, that's excellent that they are mastered loud. Unfortunately I don't have the money to spend on a box set of the albums since I already have them, but I certainly put the Complete Recordings box set on my list of things to remember to get someday.
[/b][/quote]

I bought the Matrix Tapes Remastered off of ebay released on some independent label and it included the whole demo as bonus tracks.

I got the matrix tapes volumes 1, 2 & 3. It's contained on the third volume probably because of the lack of tracks. Got it from some guy named stefano from Italy. Great buy!

#18 GaragePoet2001

GaragePoet2001

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 11:46 PM

QUOTE(Me And My IV @ Nov 16 2005, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[quote]
QUOTE(zaval80 @ Nov 16 2005, 03:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/quote][quote]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

I sold all my Doors CDs to a used CD store to help fund my purchase of "The Complete Studio Recordings," which I bought almost exclusively for "Woman Is A Devil." The hottie behind the counter pointed out that I was getting rid of some classics, but I told her I was just upgrading.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users