137 replies to this topic

#41 actor out on loan

actor out on loan

• Registered Users
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE(Hamlet @ Nov 23 2005, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[quote]
QUOTE(actor out on loan @ Nov 23 2005, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/quote][quote]
QUOTE(Hamlet @ Nov 23 2005, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/quote][quote]
QUOTE(mystery_train67 @ Nov 23 2005, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/quote][quote]
Wrong. Lou Reed has written some GREAT songs. [/b][/quote]

Define a GREAT song! :popcorn:
[/b][/quote]

sweet jane
herion
coney island baby
i wanna be black
waiting for the man

that took me all of ten seconds to do
[/b][/quote]

so you define a GREAT song by listing them...er, awright.
[/b][/quote]

these songs define themselves,..er..... I was just pointing you in thier direction...

#42 Hamlet

Hamlet

• Members
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:02 PM

Thank you for the great explanation.
we´s just joy-ridin´

#43 actor out on loan

actor out on loan

• Registered Users
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE(Hamlet @ Nov 23 2005, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b]

No thanx needed, Anything I can do to help....

cheers

#44 deadjams

deadjams

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:33 PM

If Lou is the guy playing guitar on Rock & Roll Animal than he is not a bad guitar player at all. I dig his voice whether its solo or with VU, kind of sounds like Dylan.

#45 Hamlet

Hamlet

• Members
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE(actor out on loan @ Nov 23 2005, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[quote]
QUOTE(Hamlet @ Nov 23 2005, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/quote][quote]
[/b][/quote]

No thanx needed, Anything I can do to help....

cheers
[/b][/quote]
:rolling:
we´s just joy-ridin´

#46 actor out on loan

actor out on loan

• Registered Users
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 08:44 PM

MAY 3 - 18, 1966: THE VELVETS PLAY THE TRIP.

Charlie Rothschild booked Warhol and the EXPLODING PLASTIC INEVITABLE (consisting of fourteen Factory regulars) to play at the Trip in Los Angeles. The Mothers of Invention featuring Frank Zappa opened for them and were cheered by the L.A. crowd. The Velvet Underground were greeted with boos. (UT65)

Lou Reed on Frank Zappa: "He's probably the single most untalented person I've heard in my life. He's a two-bit pretentious academic, and he can't play rock'n'roll, because he's a loser. And that's why he dresses up funny. He's not happy with himself and I think he's right." (UT65)

Amongst the celebrities attending the opening night were JOHN PHILLIPS of the MAMAS AND THE PAPAS, RYAN O'NEAL, JIM MORRISON (who was a film student at UCLA) and CHER who commented that the Velvet's music would replace nothing, except perhaps suicide. (LR133 The reviews were terrible and on the third night the sheriff’s office shut the club down for disturbing the peace. They stayed in LA as Union rules stated that in order to be paid, they had to remain in Los Angeles, even if they didn't perform. (MW23-4)

perhaps this is where and when the animosity startted, who knows..
Oh ,and by the way Lou wore leather pants for these shows.....

#47 kayfabe

kayfabe

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 03:54 AM

<<<<<>>>>>>>>

That's Steve Hunter and /or Dick Wagner (I forget if one or both play in his band) They are best known as Alice Coopers studio/live guitarists (they played off to the side while Buxton and Bruce played "quieter parts on stage...)
Dick Wagner also played on Peter Gabriel's first album....I believe they also played on Berlin (at least one of them did)

#48 BlackCladLizard

BlackCladLizard

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 05:15 AM

QUOTE(actor out on loan @ Nov 23 2005, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
MAY 3 - 18, 1966: THE VELVETS PLAY THE TRIP.

Charlie Rothschild booked Warhol and the EXPLODING PLASTIC INEVITABLE (consisting of fourteen Factory regulars) to play at the Trip in Los Angeles. The Mothers of Invention featuring Frank Zappa opened for them and were cheered by the L.A. crowd. The Velvet Underground were greeted with boos. (UT65)

Lou Reed on Frank Zappa: "He's probably the single most untalented person I've heard in my life. He's a two-bit pretentious academic, and he can't play rock'n'roll, because he's a loser. And that's why he dresses up funny. He's not happy with himself and I think he's right." (UT65)

Amongst the celebrities attending the opening night were JOHN PHILLIPS of the MAMAS AND THE PAPAS, RYAN O'NEAL, JIM MORRISON (who was a film student at UCLA) and CHER who commented that the Velvet's music would replace nothing, except perhaps suicide. (LR133 The reviews were terrible and on the third night the sheriff’s office shut the club down for disturbing the peace. They stayed in LA as Union rules stated that in order to be paid, they had to remain in Los Angeles, even if they didn't perform. (MW23-4)

perhaps this is where and when the animosity startted, who knows..
[/b]

That is the greatest shit I ever read. Look! He was a pisces. What do you expect. I dont hate homosexuals but I hate faggots. Lou is a faggot. I know people who are pisces and this is a perfect example of pisces being big divas. People like to say that the VU was so great cause they were so different than everyone else. When people usually say "different" they usually mean that the music is crappy. I like some of the VU stuff but I can distinguish SHIT from MUSIC. Lots of their tracks are just noise. There are some good ones with Who Loves The Sun and such. No one talks shit like that unless they have beef with each other. Lou just couldnt get his beef into Jim and he got mad.

#49 Hamlet

Hamlet

• Members
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 06:23 AM

QUOTE(actor out on loan @ Nov 23 2005, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b]

:rolling:
we´s just joy-ridin´

#50 mystery_train67

mystery_train67

• Members
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 08:08 AM

I'm not into much of the VU stuff because of the poor musicianship, and the stuff with that Doug Yule guy is far from Lou Reeds greatest work (although did produce great songs like Sweet Jane and Rock and Roll)...

But Lou Reeds solo work is good in my opinion, and you must look past the bullshit he says about other rockers in all his press and interviews. Lou wants people to hate him and wants to stir shit up, thats why he says those things about other rockers, so make you ask "who the fuck is this guy to say that about Jim Morrison" and I bet some who have said that have then gone out and bought a Lou Reed album to see what this crazy fucker is on about.

Lou tells it like it is in his music, he tells it simple, and he's a real tounge twister at times, but he is a very smart literate man and I think it's childish to slag him off like he has slagged others off.

#51 Dawn Visitation

Dawn Visitation

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 09:10 AM

I have personally nothing against Reed.

Still I think people can express their dislikes towards his music etc.
It may be childish but then Reed seems to come out as childish about certain things as well and you still consider him as a smart literate, you still notice this no matter so it seems like being childish doesnt always interfer with certain other aspects of a person. So 'other' people who get in touch with their childish part of themselves, in my opinion it shouldnt have to be so horrific.

#52 zaval80

zaval80

• Banned
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 10:14 AM

QUOTE(actor out on loan @ Nov 23 2005, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b]

The EPI collective had a whip dancer, Gerard Malanga, one of the closest associates of Lou, Warhol, etc. - the Factory crowd. If you take a look at Jim's face as pictured on the cover of "Absolutely Live" (the Hollywood Bowl 1968 concert), that's about how Gerard Malanga looked. Leather pants, that was Malanga's specialty...he was very pissed to know that Jim Morrison appropriated this (some teenage fans mistook him for Morrison all the time). laugh.gif

#53 actor out on loan

actor out on loan

• Registered Users
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE(zaval80 @ Nov 24 2005, 05:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[quote]
QUOTE(actor out on loan @ Nov 23 2005, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/quote][quote]
[/b][/quote]
The EPI collective had a whip dancer, Gerard Malanga, one of the closest associates of Lou, Warhol, etc. - the Factory crowd. If you take a look at Jim's face as pictured on the cover of "Absolutely Live" (the Hollywood Bowl 1968 concert), that's about how Gerard Malanga looked. Leather pants, that was Malanga's specialty...he was very pissed to know that Jim Morrison appropriated this (some teenage fans mistook him for Morrison all the time). laugh.gif
[/b][/quote]

Thanx Zav,
I was mistaken, it was Gerald, not Lou, but I did recall it was widely know at the time that Jim "appropriated" the leather look from someone he had seen at EPI....

#54 The Lizard Jedi

The Lizard Jedi

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 10:16 PM

Where is and who is Reed today? So he had a few hit songs..the man was practically a one hit wonder..name me one reason I should take this man seriously, who was unable to build up then maintain a legacy such as Morrison and The Doors have.

#55 deadjams

deadjams

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 10:50 PM

You can't have a few hit songs and be considered a one hit wonder. Even if he didn't have a top ten single he was the lead singer and guitarist for The Velvet Underground. That's all the credibility he needs, but his solo records are damn good as well.

#56 actor out on loan

actor out on loan

• Registered Users
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE(The Lizard Jedi @ Nov 24 2005, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where is and who is Reed today? So he had a few hit songs..the man was practically a one hit wonder..name me one reason I should take this man seriously, who was unable to build up then maintain a legacy such as Morrison and The Doors have.
[/b]

Same place as David Bowie, Iggy Pop, David Johansen, etc. etc. I suppose

#57 ancient satyr

ancient satyr

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 02:06 AM

QUOTE(The Lizard Jedi @ Nov 25 2005, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b]

Your'e a bit misinformed about Lou's contribution to rock, the arts and literature. The Doors contribution to rock lasted a few short years, Lou's has spanned over 40.
Why not do some research on the matter before you sprout off?

By the way, it was unfortunate Lou said those things. Who knows whether he really meant it or regrets it?

:lickit:

#58 Polished_Chrome

Polished_Chrome

• Members
  • 727 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 06:33 AM

LOU'S A BIG FAG.

#59 lake of fire

lake of fire

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:01 AM

I like Lou Reed - he has a great voice and interesting style. And he is free to have his own oppinion about Jim. It differs from mine and is not mine, of course. This story doesn't change my attitude towards Velvet Underground and Lou, but it's a sad story... Too much heroin I guess...

#60 Psychedelic Lizard

Psychedelic Lizard

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:11 AM

QUOTE(BlackCladLizard @ Nov 21 2005, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or when Ted Nugent was talking shit about when Kurt Cobain died. This isnt the first time rock stars talk shit about each other.
[/b]

Ted Nugent is crazier than a shithouse rat and has about as much talent as dogshit :popcorn:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users