Photo

1968 American Presidential Election

246 replies to this topic

#241 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts
  • Interests:Politics; History (Medieval English, Victorian English and American, esp. William Bonney/Lincoln County War); Permaculture; Mexican and Moroccan Folk Art and Vernacular Architecture

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:26 AM

Jim would've been in California on June 4, 1968, and I would not be at all surprised if he voted for Robert Kennedy in the California primary that day, hours before Kennedy was murdered.

Jim might not have voted in the 1968 presidential general election for the simple fact that he may well have been out of town. The Doors were in the middle of their Midwest Tour when the election took place on Tuesday, November 5: Louisville, October 31 (Halloween); Milwaukee, November 1; Columbus, November 2; Chicago, November 3; Phoenix, November 7; Madison, November 8; St. Louis, November 9; Minneapolis, November 10. Maybe they came back to California between the 4th and 7th, maybe not. If not, Jim didn't have a ton of time to have obtained an absentee ballot, given that he was in Europe through September to October 20.

If he did vote in that election, I have a hard time imagining him voting for Nixon and his running mate, Spiro Agnew, who were openly and vocally contemptuous and hostile toward drugs, protest, long hair on men, anyone against the Vietnam War, rock, etc.

The 1968 presidential election was extremely close, and Humphrey had a lot of momentum in its closing weeks. Most experts, and polling, agree that had the election been held a week or so later, Humphrey would almost certainly have won.

I think you're right. Jim and I talked politics a little, but he didn't specify how or even if he'd voted, and neither did I.

But there's no way in hell he would have voted for Tricky. Nixon was out to get him--that was very clear--and it's become even more clear to me over the intervening years:

that Dick Nixon killed Jim Morrison.

I don't mean it literally, but Nixon played a major part in the Miami fiasco. He was pulling the strings behind the scenes. Nixon was paranoid, and Jim had said something about "getting him" if he didn't perform and that was all it took. Jim was in the presidential gunsites from then on.

Oh, and by the way--Happy Birthday, Jimmy Doug. Love you!
I still believe in the Cosmic Giggle, even if Rolling Stone doesn't any more.

#242 StupidGirl

StupidGirl

• Banned
  • 2,835 posts
  • Interests:the truth...for it can be adjusted.....

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:07 AM

It's not his birthday...anniversary of his death. So, I think Morrison is like me, you have an opportunity to vote some guy makin' promises, and you just simply decline the whole game.Mizz Scarlett, off the top of her pretty head, can come up with dates to rock the vote... but , sometimes, you just have to say, maybe he declined, cuzz he could. *Johnny Depp?* yeah, just cuzz he could.Thank you... have a nice day.

#243 StupidGirl

StupidGirl

• Banned
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:09 AM

Mizz Scarlett, I was fuvkin' thinkin' of changin' my name to "I just be trollin' "....would that be ok?*fuvkin' laugh, you know you what to*

#244 StupidGirl

StupidGirl

• Banned
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:14 AM

So, a little background music, Pink Floyd's "comfortably numb"...so, when I was a child, I learned at a very young age, Presidents are meant to be on SNL...

#245 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts
  • Interests:Politics; History (Medieval English, Victorian English and American, esp. William Bonney/Lincoln County War); Permaculture; Mexican and Moroccan Folk Art and Vernacular Architecture

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:12 AM

It's not his birthday...anniversary of his death. So, I think Morrison is like me, you have an opportunity to vote some guy makin' promises, and you just simply decline the whole game.Mizz Scarlett, off the top of her pretty head, can come up with dates to rock the vote... but , sometimes, you just have to say, maybe he declined, cuzz he could. *Johnny Depp?* yeah, just cuzz he could.Thank you... have a nice day.

Yes, it's a birthday of sorts. December 8th, 1943 is the date he was born into this world; July 3, 1971 is the day he went home.

#246 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:51 AM

Yes, it's a birthday of sorts. December 8th, 1943 is the date he was born into this world; July 3, 1971 is the day he went home.

What's going on with you, Stupid Girl? How are you doing? Talk to me--not everyone is as hard-hearted as some of these assholes seem to be...

#247 Crimson_King

Crimson_King

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • Location:This sh*t town called Escondido, California (trash scattered everywhere!)
  • Interests:French Philosophy, poetry, psychology, sociology, hermeneutics, semiotics, cinema, sleeping.....and (right now) Doors, Steely Dan, Talking Heads, King Crimson-Fripp, Yes, Jethro Tull, Eno, Roxy Music, Bruford, etc......even, yes, The Monkees!

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

. December 8th, 1943 is the date he was born into this world; July 3, 1971 is the day he went home.

Actually, he was, like all of us, "thrown into this world" in 1943. B)
"Naked we come, Bruised we go.....Nude pastry for the slow soft worms below" - JDM

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users