Photo

1968 American Presidential Election

246 replies to this topic

#41 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts
  • Interests:Politics; History (Medieval English, Victorian English and American, esp. William Bonney/Lincoln County War); Permaculture; Mexican and Moroccan Folk Art and Vernacular Architecture

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

A topic from 2006 about the 1968-election? Talk about living in the past amd not learning from it.. You know, this is a major blow to your chances of being nominated as the best poster thruout the years.

Like I care... :D
I still believe in the Cosmic Giggle, even if Rolling Stone doesn't any more.

#42 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

This country has swung so far to the right since 1968 that women have the Constitionally protected right to have an abortion, gay people can serve openly in the military and gay couples are getting married. Good one, Miz!

#43 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts
  • Interests:Politics; History (Medieval English, Victorian English and American, esp. William Bonney/Lincoln County War); Permaculture; Mexican and Moroccan Folk Art and Vernacular Architecture

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

This country has swung so far to the right since 1968 that women have the Constitionally protected right to have an abortion, gay people can serve openly in the military and gay couples are getting married. Good one, Miz!

All of those things are true--and you're deluded if you think your idol Obama has zip to do with any of it. Talk to me again when you're depending on Social Security for your daily bread and your pal Obama has appointed a rabid right-wing SS hater and right wingnut like Alan Simpson to head to rightly nicknamed "Cat Food Commision" to "reform" SS.

Edited by mizscarlett43, 21 February 2013 - 11:06 PM.

#44 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

It's not going to happen. That's black helicopter talk.

Obama had nothing to do with reversing DADT? He signed it! Who's deluded?

#45 StupidGirl

StupidGirl

• Banned
  • 2,835 posts
  • Interests:the truth...for it can be adjusted.....

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:10 AM

So, Mizz Scarlett, glad you can be vital to even the old posts *takin' notes Dave?* Got a thing for Huckleberry? *just waitin' 'round the bend, my huckleberry friend"? k, so, all you old voters from the "60's, I said to try to argue sex, politics, or religion is a waste of time, but the times of voting, and someone , I forgot who, claiming Morrison could see the future... he surely would have known that the "impeach Nixon" bumper stickers were on the horizon... he didn't wanna enlist like his Daddy, and I'm sure had a mind of his own, however Ray or Robby voted. I say, yea to Johnny Depp... just don't vote. And I think Morrison would have too.

Edited by StupidGirl, 22 February 2013 - 05:12 AM.

#46 Hamlet

Hamlet

• Members
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

To the members of this board! This is a pm from Mizscar:

"Dear Hammy...Glad you´re here. I think you should make a poll, so we can choose the best poster. It´s more fair to include some of the older members."

But I am not gonna make a poll!
we´s just joy-ridin´

#47 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

To the members of this board! This is a pm from Mizscar:
"Dear Hammy...Glad you´re here. I think you should make a poll, so we can choose the best poster. It´s more fair to include some of the older members."

But I am not gonna make a poll!

Har har--but I've already voted in the poll (I voted for Leon, remember?) so why do we need another poll anyway? unless you're just going to keep posting polls until people start voting for you just to shut you up? :lol:

BTW, since you've accused me of "ranting and screaming and cursing"--which I presume to think is a tad hyperbolic but it's also occurred to me that since I'm on a Mac and most of you are (presumably) on PCs, my winking smilies and other emoticons might not even show up on your screens, so maybe I do come off as even more assholious than I really am, LOL! :D (I wrote LOL and also included a smiley. I'd appreciate some feedback as to how many can see the one but not the other. Thanks.)

Edited by mizscarlett43, 22 February 2013 - 08:41 PM.

#48 flashing bliss

flashing bliss

FB

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:55 PM

Yep loud and clear on this PC. :D :P ^_^ :)
Flash

#49 StupidGirl

StupidGirl

• Banned
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:46 AM

Har har--but I've already voted in the poll (I voted for Leon, remember?) so why do we need another poll anyway? unless you're just going to keep posting polls until people start voting for you just to shut you up? :lol:

BTW, since you've accused me of "ranting and screaming and cursing"--which I presume to think is a tad hyperbolic but it's also occurred to me that since I'm on a Mac and most of you are (presumably) on PCs, my winking smilies and other emoticons might not even show up on your screens, so maybe I do come off as even more assholious than I really am, LOL! :D (I wrote LOL and also included a smiley. I'd appreciate some feedback as to how many can see the one but not the other. Thanks.)

mIzz scarlett, think you make it up as you go,,,, what the fuvk is assholious?yes, think all of you are lookin' for bein' the best.... who fuvkin' cares? you're all a bunch of slaves....

Edited by StupidGirl, 23 February 2013 - 07:46 AM.

#50 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts
  • Interests:European History, Riding horses, Poetry, listening to the Wind

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

"jim being a southern gentleman he may have voted for george wallace." - lizardman

Jim was somewhat embarrassed of his Southern roots, however, mocking them when he put on that exaggerated, drawling southern accent for effect.

It's not too out of line to suggest that Jim's father voted for Wallace, as he did win most of the South. Being a man steeped in tradition and decorum, however, Steve would most likely have opted for the two party decision after being turned off by Wallace's grassroots, informal style and his 'Independent' status. From accounts that I've heard, anyway, Jim's dad was rather progressive for a Naval man, and probably supported Civil Rights, making his support for Wallace highly unlikely.
I see Jim's dad as a swinging voter. Wouldn't have voted for Barry Goldwater in 64', but would have voted for Nixon in 68'.

Jim's mum probably didn't vote. She seemed the demure type, like a Daisy Buchanan who didn't want to get involved in divisive issues such as politics. If she did vote, it would be Republican.

Back to Jim, there's no way he voted Wallace. Not only was he a brash segregationalist, he was a fierce anti-intellectual. Plus, Jim's smart enough not to vote a third party candidate.

So, I read this and thought....that quote is so not true of Jim! Jim LOVED being a Southerner and he was not any more embarrassed by having Southern roots than having curly hair and blue eyes. And we both liked talking about our Southern roots on our father's side. His father was born in Georgia and my father was born in Kentucky. What we both talked about and understood is that the South had its own set of racial biases that was not seen in California. This was an endless topic since Califronia was like a whole new universe compared to the South. We were both proud to come out of such a unique culture that provided the world with music such as country, bluegrass, rockabilly, southern gospel, jazz, blues and rock and roll. Also many prolific writers came out of the South, too.
HE COURTED DEATH LIKE IT WAS A DARK ELUSIVE SWEETHEART

#51 jlo

jlo

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

regarding that sentence about jim's "exaggerated southern accent"...really? i don't think his accent was at all exaggerated...and, i'm from the northeast! :) we can tell a southern accent when we hear one, because we don't have accents here :P (sarcasm).

seriously, though, texasky, since you are from texas where i bet you hear a southern accent or two, i'd be interested to hear what you think about jim's accent. and, mizscarlett, i'd be interested in your opinion, too.
...no time to wallow in the mire...

#52 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts
  • Interests:European History, Riding horses, Poetry, listening to the Wind

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:03 AM

regarding that sentence about jim's "exaggerated southern accent"...really? i don't think his accent was at all exaggerated...and, i'm from the northeast! :) we can tell a southern accent when we hear one, because we don't have accents here :P (sarcasm).

seriously, though, texasky, since you are from texas where i bet you hear a southern accent or two, i'd be interested to hear what you think about jim's accent. and, mizscarlett, i'd be interested in your opinion, too.

Thanks jlo for pointing that out to me. I may have something of a Texas accent myself , I never noticed Jim with any type of accent. And if Jim ever lapsed into a Southern accent, it may have been so natural I wouldn't have even noticed. I remember when I left California and came back to Texas, I thought everyone had such country thick Texas accents. Funny I never noticed that until I lived in California. :D
HE COURTED DEATH LIKE IT WAS A DARK ELUSIVE SWEETHEART

#53 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:15 AM

Well, first of all, I'm don't think AWDWD was talking about Jim's normal speech, but him putting on a broad "redneck Southern" accent to be funny or snide (or both).

In everyday conversation Jim had a very Southern manner of speaking--that soft drawl that I mention in Ballroom Days--but no discernable accent that I can remember.

#54 jlo

jlo

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:45 AM

Well, first of all, I'm don't think AWDWD was talking about Jim's normal speech, but him putting on a broad "redneck Southern" accent to be funny or snide (or both).

In everyday conversation Jim had a very Southern manner of speaking--that soft drawl that I mention in Ballroom Days--but no discernable accent that I can remember.

oh...did this poster also know jim? i didn't get that impression at first.

thank you, ladies! i always appreciate your opinions.

#55 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:16 AM

oh...did this poster also know jim? i didn't get that impression at first.

thank you, ladies! i always appreciate your opinions.

Sorry, I didn't mean to give the impression that AWDWD knew Jim because I don't know that he did. I was just assuming he'd heard Jim do a parody of a Southen accent during a performance somewhere.

#56 jlo

jlo

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:36 AM

oh, no problem, miz...i was just wondering.

it's so cool that you and texasky have first hand experience with jim's southern accent... :)

#57 StupidGirl

StupidGirl

• Banned
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:11 AM

no, it's so cool she acknowledges fuvkin' Doc Holiday....

#58 jlo

jlo

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

you know, sg? THAT is not cool.

#59 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

you know, sg? THAT is not cool.

I beg your pardon? :o John Henry "Doc" Holiday has always seemed the very essense of cool, in life as well as in his many screen portrayals (with the exception of Victor Mature in My Darling Clementine).

Much, much more appealing IMO than Earp and his brothers, who were known back in the day as "the fighting pimps"...

Edited by mizscarlett43, 24 February 2013 - 07:04 PM.

#60 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

Thanks jlo for pointing that out to me. I may have something of a Texas accent myself , I never noticed Jim with any type of accent. And if Jim ever lapsed into a Southern accent, it may have been so natural I wouldn't have even noticed. I remember when I left California and came back to Texas, I thought everyone had such country thick Texas accents. Funny I never noticed that until I lived in California. :D

I pick up on accents all the time! I think it comes from constantly hearing the awful Boston/New England accent. And funny thing is I hear Jim sing a lot with that Boston accent. He'll say "firahhhhhh" for fire. We always laugh when we hear him leave off his R's.

I can detect a slight accent when hearing Jim speak in interviews and when I hear him speak during out takes in the studio. And it seemed to come out more when he had lots of drinks in him.

Usually when everyone speaks a certain way, they don't hear their accent. I repress the awful Boston accent, because I think it sounds terrible. Have you ever heard the mayor of Boston speak? If not, you'll completely understand what I'm talking about if you ever see him speak! :)

Edited by queenhwy, 25 February 2013 - 12:25 AM.

The future's uncertain
And the end is always near.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users