Doors Box Set alternate tracks/outtakes

421 replies to this topic

#61 Kostis

Kostis

• Members
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE(Mandala @ Jun 28 2006, 12:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why do we want to hear songs that had previously been outtakes?
There are real outtakes out there.
[/b]

you're not really paying attention to others' posts, are you?

I desire alternate studio stuff, like anyone else here
I just think it would be more appropriate to be compiled in a seperate dic in the same release
(or in a seperate project)
The crisp outake songs are a complimet to the albums.
The rest of the alternate stuff, no matter how much we desire them and love them,
would probably decrease the value of the original record.

Besides, how many tracks can you fit in the rest of the disc? not everyone will be happy
A seperate disc looks like a reasonable "solution" to me

p.s. and about the argument:
"we already have these outakes (eg. who scared you), why have them, again?"

I say that we have the studio albums anyway,
[irony]maybe The Doors shouldn't release them, again perhaps...? [irony]

#62 cobriaclord

cobriaclord

• Members
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE(BallroomDays67 @ Jun 27 2006, 07:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[quote]
QUOTE(Mandala @ Jun 27 2006, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/quote][quote]
[/b][/quote]
When an outtake is officially released, that doesn't mean that it's no longer an outtake.
[/b][/quote]

Exactly. They can't bill this boxset with having any outtakes. Some alternate takes yes, but no outtakes.

QUOTE(Prodigal Son @ Jun 27 2006, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[quote]
QUOTE(Mandala @ Jun 27 2006, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/quote][quote]
[/b][/quote]

because on this set, they'll all be remastered in 5.1 surround
[/b][/quote]

Who cares? Why spend 150$ when its gonna sound almost exactly the same?

#63 Kostis

Kostis

• Members
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 11:33 PM

edit

#64 RunAllTheLights

RunAllTheLights

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 11:56 PM

We cannot demand more, when obviously there has never been more. Ray has already said there is no new music to release. The 1997 boxset is an example that there wasn't a lot of material to work with. Don't you think the Doors would have released some "Stellar Outtakes", the first time they dug out their demos? Maybe this new release should have been the 4th disc on the box set? But at least now we're going to get these alternates. Obviously there isn't much left. Let's give Jeff and Bruce some more credit for rounding up what was left, and releasing it. Jeff if there really are contacts with those who have material, and clean versions of 'lost' material, I can wait awhile longer. It would be great if some collectors could pitch in for projects like these.

RUN

#65 cobriaclord

cobriaclord

• Members
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 12:04 AM

There is stuff left.

#66 Prodigal Son

Prodigal Son

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 12:20 AM

[quote]
[
[/quote]

[/quote]

You've never heard music in 5.1 surround have you? Obviously not, because they DON'T sound almost exactly the same.

#67 hardrockcafe

hardrockcafe

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 12:51 AM

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for this listing.

1. There are two live takes of The End with full vocal. Multitracks have survived as expunged vocals were superimposed on the stereo masters for the 99 box. Why are the 2 live takes of The End being held back?

2. Are there any alternate takes with vocals (even scratch vocals) of Light My Fire?

3. Where are the LA Woman outtakes and alternates? These sessions were recorded with live vocal. For example, you can hear the scratch vocal bleed of Riders On The Storm on the actual master! There should be a motherlode of LA Woman material Where is it?

4. What about the full version of Spanish Caravan with flamenco intro?

5. If this is a tentative listing of what is going to be released, then the archiving must be complete. How many outtakes and alternates are being held back for another future release?

In 2002, Danny said a 2 CD collection of outtakes was planned. What songs were intended for that release?

#68 lament of an indian

lament of an indian

• Members
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:02 AM

In 2002, Danny said a 2 CD collection of outtakes was planned. What songs were intended for that release?[/b]

Danny also said Bakersfield was going to be released...

#69 smokeythebear

smokeythebear

• Members
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:11 AM

QUOTE(lament of an indian @ Jun 28 2006, 02:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In 2002, Danny said a 2 CD collection of outtakes was planned. What songs were intended for that release?[/b]

Danny also said Bakersfield was going to be released...
[/b]

And Seattle and Vancouver and The Matrix and.....

#70 The Royal Sperm

The Royal Sperm

Devil Sperm

• Members
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:25 AM

well, are there soem stuff that i'm interested to listen in good audio quality, thanks jeff

is COTL differente than the legacy version?
Waiting for the Big Fat Black Complete Matrix Box Set!

#71 smokeythebear

smokeythebear

• Members
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 04:24 AM

QUOTE(The Royal Sperm @ Jun 28 2006, 03:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well, are there soem stuff that i'm interested to listen in good audio quality, thanks jeff

is COTL differente than the legacy version?
[/b]

He said in a previous reply that its the same as on legacy.

#72 LoneRider

LoneRider

• Members
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 05:02 AM

QUOTE(jim4371 @ Jun 27 2006, 01:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't expect much from the first 3 albums, but the lack of Paris Blues is a serious, serious disappointment.

"Yeah, man, we're saving that one for something special.."

What the hell else is in the works that would fit it?
[/b]

I totally agree. Are they going to release another box set? :wtf:

#73 Chris Moise

Chris Moise

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 05:23 AM

Mandela wrote:

Why is it silly that they dub Jim's vocals to alternate takes? It would be like a whole new song.

You can't be serious. You want them to cut and paste Jim's vocals from the released versions onto unused backing tracks/alternate takes? How would that be like a whole new song? It would sound at best disjointed.

QUOTE(Mandala @ Jun 27 2006, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[quote]
Do they have a studio version of Universal Mind?

[/b][/quote]

No

QUOTE(smokeythebear @ Jun 27 2006, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[quote]
Jeff is this the first time that Bruce has actually gone back to the multitracks since the original LPs was released?
[/b][/quote]

I'm not Jeff but the Quad LP was mixed from the multitracks in the early 70's. The End from Apocolypse Now was remixed in 1979 or so. The handful of studio outtakes on the '97 box were remixed from the multitracks. The LA Woman DVD-A was obviously remixed from the multitracks..

QUOTE(hardrockcafe @ Jun 28 2006, 12:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[quote]
Hi Jeff,

4. What about the full version of Spanish Caravan with flamenco intro?

[/b][/quote]

Maybe the full version of Spanish Caravan will be on the 5.1 mix?

QUOTE(Mandala @ Jun 27 2006, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[quote]
QUOTE(BallroomDays67 @ Jun 27 2006, 07:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/quote][quote]
QUOTE(Mandala @ Jun 27 2006, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/quote][quote]
[/b][/quote]
When an outtake is officially released, that doesn't mean that it's no longer an outtake.
[/b][/quote]

Exactly. They can't bill this boxset with having any outtakes. Some alternate takes yes, but no outtakes.

QUOTE(Prodigal Son @ Jun 27 2006, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[quote]
QUOTE(Mandala @ Jun 27 2006, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/quote][quote]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Mandela, you're really embarrassing yourself. I read your posts above 10 times and I have no idea what you are going on about. I'd recommend becoming familiar with terms like "alternate take", "outtake", "5.1 mix" before contributing any further. Just a thought..

#74 Chris Moise

Chris Moise

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 05:45 AM

Jeff mentioned that all of the outtakes will have 5.1 mixes....as far as I know the multitracks to the studio COTL are long gone. I guess that will be an exception.

I think they should consider adding the Touch Me 45 mix. It's a completely different stereo mix. Different instrument placement, stereo spread, etc. This is the mix that was the "hit" mix that the Doors approved for release back in 1969. It was heard on radio stations all over the world and should be represented provided the master survives. The mono mixes of Strange Days/Unhappy Girl might be another one to consider (the rest of the Strange Days LP is a folddown). The mono Unhappy Girl is supposed to be pretty different with the backwards stuff less prominent. I've never heard it..

Any stuff with Lonnie Mack should be considered. The Doors with Lonnie was a match made in heaven. I wish they recorded an entire LP with him.

I'm surprised to see all the talk about the non-appearance of Smokey the Bear. To be brutally frank or frankly brutal that track sucks. No great loss there.

I'm confused about Indian Summer...Jeff mentioned it will have overdubs. Will they be the '66 overdubs or the '69 overdubs? (or both?). In any event an alternate mix/version/anything is more than welcome. The world will be a better place with more than once version of Indian Summer in it.

Regarding Paris Blues...even if they only have 30 seconds of it deserves to make the box. Even if it's a hidden bonus track. It's really a no-brainier. People have waited decades for that track and this is the perfect time to release it (regardless of how much of it exists)

Just wanted to say that I'm stoked to finally hear a pro quality of Dirty Roadhouse, Roadhouse alt takes, Whiskey, Mystics & Men alternate, (Rock is Dead version?), and jazzy version of The Spy. If they can add some LA Woman outtakes and Paris Blues then I'll really be excited..

#75 SteelReserve81

SteelReserve81

• Banned
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:33 AM

Every time the original two inch tapes are played back part of the information is rearranged, the tapes magnetic particles move " back to the original positions". Why not wait till the right time in the future to release the recordings with the best fidelity? Paris Blues can wait.

#76 etienne

etienne

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:36 AM

Jeff, I bought Legacy for 10 euro; just for that one song, knowing it didn't reappear on re-issues of Legacy. Now you're releasing it again. What I would like to know now if possible if there will be an 'Essential Rarities part II' of some of these tracks. And preferably an ER II that has no bonus track unreleased anywhere else...
Or will the studio albums in 5.1 have seperate releases including their bonus tracks/alternate versions?

#77 moshdaddy

moshdaddy

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:42 AM

Jeff-

Thanks for the listing. It's great to have it out there as to generate discussion with the HC fans....

Looking forward to what comes of all this...

Mosh

#78 dj_vera

dj_vera

• Members
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:45 AM

QUOTE(Doorsmanagement @ Jun 26 2006, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's a start......

THIS IS WHAT IS PLANNED, BUT NOT 100% FINALIZED YET, SO DO NOT HOLD US TO THIS!!!

The Doors:

Two different versions (aside from the album version) of Moonlight Drive
Indian Summer

Strange Days:

Alternate of People Are Strange
Studio dialogue
Love Me Two Times (Take 3)

Waiting For The Sun:

Celebration Of The Lizard
Adagio In D
Not To Touch The Earth (Takes 1, 2 and 5)

The Soft Parade:

Touch Me studio dialogue
Touch Me (Take 3)
Whiskey, Mystics & Men
Whiskey, Mystics & Men alternate version
Who Scared You
Push Push

Morrison Hotel:

Blues With Lonnie Mack
Roadhouse Talking Blues
Queen Of The Highway (jazz version)
Queen Of The Highway alternate (no Jim)
Various takes of Roadhouse Blues
Dirty Roadhouse
Spy In The House Of Love (jazz version)
Peace Frog studio dialogue

LA Woman:

You Need Meat
Orange County Suite
[/b]

A few questions and suggestions for you, Mr. Jampol. Concerning the two Moonlight Drive tracks, I know one of them is the Sunset Sound '66 version found on the box set, but is the other version from '66 and recorded at Sunset Sound as well? God forbid you use the '65 acetate demo that was done by the pre-Kreiger Doors. I don't think the Adagio piece is from the WFTS sessions because the only time they used an orchestra was during the Soft Parade sessions. And are the overdubs from circa '97? If the version of Whiskey, Mystics & Men from the box set is being used, will it be without the overdubs that were featured on the box set. And is the alternate version of WM&M from the Rock Is Dead session? Jim Morrison's poetry session that included this version of Orange County Suite was either recorded in March or June of '69, so it was recorded between Soft Parade and Morrison Hotel and should not be attributed to being from the LA Woman sessions. Also the overdubs from that track are from '97. I really don't think that Orange County Suite or Adagio should be included since they are overdubbed. If they are included, they should be labeled as bonus tracks. By the way, you guys could also use the Wintertime Love track with an alternate vocal as an outtake for WFTS.

#79 grasshopper

grasshopper

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 01:17 PM

Jeff, how about considering the release of Orange County Suite as it was originally recorded with just Jim on piano and no overdubs? I think it would be a nice ('alternate') addition placed properly on the release, & could sorta balance out any instrumental (or 'non-Jim') tracks..

I've been thinking alot about this additional Moonlight Drive. The acetate demo isn't from multitracks, so I'm really hoping for an unheard version . . could be something good.

Overall, I'm really looking forward to this release, but can't help but wonder if the archiving is finished or not? (Every tape completely reviewed).

There are a few other places in which we are rumored to possibly have a version of it, and we are combing the archives[/b]

Maybe something fell between the shelf and the wall ph34r.gif

#80 Chris Moise

Chris Moise

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE(dj_vera @ Jun 28 2006, 07:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[quote]
QUOTE(Doorsmanagement @ Jun 26 2006, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/quote][quote]
Here's a start......

THIS IS WHAT IS PLANNED, BUT NOT 100% FINALIZED YET, SO DO NOT HOLD US TO THIS!!!

The Doors:

Two different versions (aside from the album version) of Moonlight Drive
Indian Summer

Strange Days:

Alternate of People Are Strange
Studio dialogue
Love Me Two Times (Take 3)

Waiting For The Sun:

Celebration Of The Lizard
Adagio In D
Not To Touch The Earth (Takes 1, 2 and 5)

[/b][/quote]

A few questions and suggestions for you, Mr. Jampol. Concerning the two Moonlight Drive tracks, I know one of them is the Sunset Sound '66 version found on the box set, but is the other version from '66 and recorded at Sunset Sound as well? God forbid you use the '65 acetate demo that was done by the pre-Kreiger Doors. I don't think the Adagio piece is from the WFTS sessions because the only time they used an orchestra was during the Soft Parade sessions[/b][/quote]

You would prefer they use Moonight Drive from the '65 demo rather than an UNBOOTED '66 studio version ? What is wrog with you people. Adagio was recorded at TTG Studios in LA. The only time they used TTG was for WFTS.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users