Photo

Ray's bass lines

24 replies to this topic

#1 snowman2

snowman2

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:45 PM

Ok... I took a brief break from listening to the Doors as most of us do from time to time. When I mean brief, it was only a few weeks. ITs still the soundtrack to my life. I found what had eluded me so long... the Fender Rhodes Gold Sparkle piano bass which threw me right back into listening to my favortie band. I had one before,but it wasn't all original...I had to do alot of work to it. Enter late June of 2010 and my dream of 20 years has been realized... These are so rare I was beginning to think I'd never find one.
It got me started thinking about what lured me into the Doors so long ago.. Ray Manzarek's carnival organ and hypnotic bass lines.... Wow.

Pics below.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Shebang

Shebang

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • Interests:LEATHER PANTS

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:07 AM

Cool keyboards! Can you play them? I can imagine it would be very difficult to play them both at the same time like Ray did. His organ lines were always so incredible all by themselves, and made even more incredible in combination with the other Doors.

Glad to see these keyboards found a good home with a Doors fan instead of being thrown out.

#3 snowman2

snowman2

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:59 AM

Cool keyboards! Can you play them? I can imagine it would be very difficult to play them both at the same time like Ray did. His organ lines were always so incredible all by themselves, and made even more incredible in combination with the other Doors.

Glad to see these keyboards found a good home with a Doors fan instead of being thrown out.

Thanks! Yes, I can play quite a few songs with both hands all the way through, LMF, BOT, WTMO,Back Door Man, 5to1 several others. I love playing. Someone would be crazy to throw these out. lol Both are fairly hard to find and the gold piano bass is rare rare rare...maybe 1 or 2 a year pop up on ebay. A rhodes expert told me that there were likely less than 20 of the gold ones made.

Edited by snowman2, 09 July 2010 - 02:09 PM.

#4 Shebang

Shebang

• Members
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:24 AM

Didn't Ray try to get a gold one back in the day? He couldn't find one and had to settle for the other color.

Awesome that you can play those songs on the two keyboards! Love Ray's carnival organ and hypnotic bass lines! Do you play any other group's songs with organ parts? Like maybe the Animals' House of the Rising Sun?

#5 warriorpriestess

warriorpriestess

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:fearlessness. integrity. literature. mischief. music. poetry. psychology. theology. truth. wine. and too many more to list here!

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:36 AM

...are some of the best ever written! and sound remarkably good cranked up in my car without any subwoofer, unlike almost everything else.

#6 snowman2

snowman2

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:37 AM

The one Ray had back in the day was the gold one. Most of the color videos, Ed Sullivan, Live at the Hollywood bowl ect...he has the gold one. That was the first one he got,but he always wanted a silver one which he also got. Most people think he didn't get the silver until the PBS show,but he actually can be seen using it as early as 67 doing LMF and Moonlight Drive on the Jonathan Winters show. I found the silver one first because although rare, they are easier to find. It's ironic that he had the gold one first because the store didn't have any silver ones... Wow...I know way too much on this subject,but Ray expalins it in his book. Robby's dad was the one that paid for it...at that time $250 was alot of scratch for it. It's funny how much you can spend on them now.

#7 snowman2

snowman2

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:01 PM

Didn't Ray try to get a gold one back in the day? He couldn't find one and had to settle for the other color.

Awesome that you can play those songs on the two keyboards! Love Ray's carnival organ and hypnotic bass lines! Do you play any other group's songs with organ parts? Like maybe the Animals' House of the Rising Sun?

Oh, I forgot to answer your question. Yes, I do, I play House of the Rising Sun alot on my Vox Continental. Those songs are so fun to play.

#8 Shebang

Shebang

• Members
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:19 PM

Oh, I forgot to answer your question. Yes, I do, I play House of the Rising Sun alot on my Vox Continental. Those songs are so fun to play.

How about Procol Harem's "Lighter Shade of Pale", or Iron Butterfly's "In-na-gad-da-da-vida"?

#9 snowman2

snowman2

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:18 PM

How about Procol Harem's "Lighter Shade of Pale", or Iron Butterfly's "In-na-gad-da-da-vida"?

I've played Ina gadda before....never played Lighter Shade of Pale...I should try it.. sounds simple enough,but very sool and smoothe!

#10 BIGDAVE

BIGDAVE

Diablo Overlord

• Members
  • 9,565 posts
  • Interests:Interesting things

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:12 PM

Ok... I took a brief break from listening to the Doors as most of us do from time to time. When I mean brief, it was only a few weeks. ITs still the soundtrack to my life. I found what had eluded me so long... the Fender Rhodes Gold Sparkle piano bass which threw me right back into listening to my favortie band. I had one before,but it wasn't all original...I had to do alot of work to it. Enter late June of 2010 and my dream of 20 years has been realized... These are so rare I was beginning to think I'd never find one.
It got me started thinking about what lured me into the Doors so long ago.. Ray Manzarek's carnival organ and hypnotic bass lines.... Wow.

Pics below.

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's just incredible! Nice going man. I have to make due with a crappy Yamaha PSR with the left hand side set up with a bass tone. If you ever sell up then let me know (I know you won't sell it) :D

#11 snowman2

snowman2

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:25 AM

That's just incredible! Nice going man. I have to make due with a crappy Yamaha PSR with the left hand side set up with a bass tone. If you ever sell up then let me know (I know you won't sell it) :D

Thanks alot! And you're right BigDave, I won't be selling this. I've wanted this set up since I first saw the Dance on Fire video that came out in the 80s. The Gibson organ is hard to find,but the Gold Sparkle Fender Rhodes Piano bass is near impossible to find. The gold ones are very very rare. I do have an extra silver one I may let go down the line though.....

#12 BIGDAVE

BIGDAVE

Diablo Overlord

• Members
  • 9,565 posts
  • Interests:Interesting things

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:31 PM

Thanks alot! And you're right BigDave, I won't be selling this. I've wanted this set up since I first saw the Dance on Fire video that came out in the 80s. The Gibson organ is hard to find,but the Gold Sparkle Fender Rhodes Piano bass is near impossible to find. The gold ones are very very rare. I do have an extra silver one I may let go down the line though.....

Do you know how hard it is to get a working Vox Continental these days? I've wanted one for years but the ones I find normaly need major repairs.

#13 snowman2

snowman2

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:19 AM

Do you know how hard it is to get a working Vox Continental these days? I've wanted one for years but the ones I find normaly need major repairs.

I got lucky with the vox. I got it 3 years ago in a trade. I traded a Farfisa that I paid $120 plus $200 to a guy in Alaska. He shipped it from there to Indiana and it was still in tune when I got it. I get pretty lucky,but I think it's mostly because I am always and I mean always on the look out. I looked for the gold top piano bass nearly everday for 3 years...in that amount of time, I only saw 3 for sale...and lost out until now. If you want a Vox, you'll find one!

#14 ChrisN

ChrisN

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:39 PM

I too have a vox, Gibson and a 65' silver sparkle piano bass. I'm wondering what kind of amps you use. Do you go for vintage? I had been using modern solid state amps but I'm starting to change. I'm picking up a 66' fender bassman amp for the piano bass on monday and I'm psyched. It seems to be what Ray used in 66 and most of 67. I'd like a Vox Berkeley II or III for my vox organ and an Acoustic 260 & 261 for my Gibson. I'm curious to see if everything sounds more authentic with the vintage amps assuming I can find / fix / pay for them.

#15 Jim Abbott

Jim Abbott

• Members
  • 226 posts
  • Interests:Listening to Music, Contributing to the Pop Culture via Madonna, Life lessons and Just Living my Life.

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:30 AM

I heard in an interview with Ray that he knew the bass lines so well because he would play boogie woogie so much it sounded like a rolling bass keeping up with the riffs and drum lines.
Jim Abbott

#16 mystery_train67

mystery_train67

• Members
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:45 PM

I too have a vox, Gibson and a 65' silver sparkle piano bass. I'm wondering what kind of amps you use. Do you go for vintage? I had been using modern solid state amps but I'm starting to change. I'm picking up a 66' fender bassman amp for the piano bass on monday and I'm psyched. It seems to be what Ray used in 66 and most of 67. I'd like a Vox Berkeley II or III for my vox organ and an Acoustic 260 & 261 for my Gibson. I'm curious to see if everything sounds more authentic with the vintage amps assuming I can find / fix / pay for them.

ChrisN, are you the guy on YouTube who plays through that little vox amp, and owns a the gold mic and hollywood bowl style vest?

#17 ChrisN

ChrisN

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:51 PM

No, that's not me. My only Youtube clip that has me playing Doors is: It's a montage of us playing clips from about 10 Doors songs. Check it out...it looks b/w and grainy to give it a 60's 8mm feel.

#18 Shebang

Shebang

• Members
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:08 PM

No, that's not me. My only Youtube clip that has me playing Doors is: It's a montage of us playing clips from about 10 Doors songs. Check it out...it looks b/w and grainy to give it a 60's 8mm feel.

Wow, you are really good! Posted Image

#19 Jim Abbott

Jim Abbott

• Members
  • 226 posts
  • Interests:Listening to Music, Contributing to the Pop Culture via Madonna, Life lessons and Just Living my Life.

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:59 PM

Wow, you are really good! Posted Image

How do I find your only youtube clip of The doors, shebang?
Jim Abbott

#20 Shebang

Shebang

• Members
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:36 PM

How do I find your only youtube clip of The doors, shebang?

Here a direct link to the youtube clip of the Unknown Soldiers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pxg2Ig_J9I

Edited by Shebang, 18 July 2010 - 10:37 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users