Photo

GREAT NEWS ON LA WOMAN DELUXE!

1418 replies to this topic

#381 DoorsFanPeter

DoorsFanPeter

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:18 PM

Jampol has a said a couple times ROTS has an alt take, but Botnick says only a false start exist. This is why some hardcores think the 9 minutes will be the false start, chatter about the rainstorm and then the album version remixed without the storm. I'm also wonderering how the 9 minutes will fit comfortably on a 45.

Use of "alternate version" and not "alternate take" has me a bit pessamistic about the 2 cd verison and the 5 disc box.

The vinyl package, the 2CD disc itself, AAAAANNNND a really cool, new Vinyl Singles Box made just for Record Store Day - Black Friday.

It's a cool-ass looking box with four 7" vinyl singles from L.A. Woman, one single of which is studio dialogue and alternate takes of ROTS and, I believe, LAW.

All sleeves are EXACT reproductions of international sleeves from around the world. "The Changeling," for instance, is from Spain, and it's called merely "Changeling," with a cool blue "posterized" image of Jim's head from a Brodsky photo.

The box will also contain an exact reproduction of the original "Electric Woman" poster that came with the LP.

Limited to 5,000 boxes, ONLY available at indie record stores on Record Store Day. And, 'cause we try to be good like that, on www.thedoors.com. $49.98.

Botnick in Uncut Magazine, Sept. 2011, page 45:

'"Riders On The Storm" is Take 2. Take 1 was a false start. You're hearing it without the thunder-storm, so it has a different atmosphere. John, Robby and I have all individually claimed over the years that the thunderstorm was our idea, but when I listened back, I could clearly hear Jim say. 'Hey, thunder - that's a good idea-why don't we put thunder on it? We could, uh, get some from Arizona.'"

Do i have to show you guys everything? This is Jeff's post from a while ago this is the vinyl version but the cds will have the same songs!! Read disc 2 Riders all alternate version 9 minutes no false chatter, your welcome!!

This is NOT the "40th Anniversary Mixes" version. Those versions are going away forever. We had our 40th Anniversary, they were special remixes, we're now past that, and I believe "special" should be just that - they've disappeared.

This is the Doors Vinyl mastering (with some tweaks for digital Redbook), as done by Bruce Botnick, Bernie Grundman and Jac Holzman for The Doors Vinyl Box(!)

Disc 1
10. Riders On The Storm [7:08]

Disc2

1. The Changeling (Alternate Version) [4:45]
2. Love Her Madly (Alternate Version) [3:59]
3. Cars Hiss By My Window (Alternate Version) [4:42]
4. L.A. Woman (AlternateVersion) [8:50]
5. TheWASP (Texas Radio and The Big Beat) (AlternateVersion) [5:37]
6. Been Down So Long (Alternate Version) [4:53]
7. Riders On The Storm (Alternate Version) [9:11]
8. She Smells So Nice / Rock Me [4:41/4:30] [9:11]

ything? This is Jeff's post from a while ago this is the vinyl version but the cds will have the same songs!! Read disc 2 Riders alternate version 9 minutes your welcome!!

Jampol:

Here's what I know:

1. The 5-CD Box Set will feature ALL the outtakes, alternate takes and studio dialogue we have from the LAW sessions;

2. The 7" Singles Box for Record Store Day will feature the three original singles: The Changeling, Love Her Madly, and Riders On The Storm - and then one 7" single featuring alternate takes and studio dialogue of "L.A. Woman" b/w "Riders On The Storm." And the original "Electric Woman" poster. ll boxes will be serial-numbered, only 5000 made.

#382 CHINA JOE

CHINA JOE

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:52 PM

wondering if riders on the storm and love her madly are the versions without the drums...

#383 Doorsmanagement

Doorsmanagement

Yo, 'sup?

• Members
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:49 PM

Hi, All:

Here's an update on what's going on -

1. Jac Holzman has come on board personally to supervise, along with me, a whole campaign called "Year Of The Doors." This Year Of The Doors will run from November of this year to September 2012.

2. This will entail several changes to our planned release schedule, mostly reconfiguring release dates due to expanded packaging and higher-end materials we want to use, as well as some remastering and recutting of certain lacquers due to Botnick suggestions (and subsequent discussions with Holzman and me) regarding final mixes (he came up with some brilliant finds/opinions/solutions/suggestions on some vinyl material). This will necessitate extending certain art and packaging deadlines, and this also gives us more time to really get stuff as close to "right and perfect" as Jac and Bruce can. There are two additional products you will see (in addition to all the ones we've all been discussing here), and we are also trying to figure out how best/when to release London Fog and the Matrix Box Set, which are yet two MORE products we're trying to prepare.

3. As a result, you will see the Doors Record Store Day serial-numbered 7" Vinyl Box come this year (on November 25th, a/k/a "Black Friday"), and the other releases will be rolled out throughout next year. When, exactly, has not been set in stone, so DO NOT HOLD ME TO THIS (yet), but I'd think the 2CD set and vinyl may come at the end of January '12.

4. The 5CD box may come in January, too, or a little later - absolutely no idea yet. There will be two different digital apps, the first a simpler/more basic L.A. Woman/"Year Of The Doors" app in the early part of the year, and a real Grand-Poobah bells & whistles comprehensive All-Doors big-ass whizzbang digital app towards August of 2012. With what he have in mind, we need lots and lots of development time.

5. We are working on a super secret "hush-hush" cool collectible piece for September 2012. I cannot talk about it, but it has nothing to do with L.A. Woman or London Fog or the Matrix box. As/when I can begin to discuss it, I will, so don't keep asking me about it until then - PLEASE!

6. When we get all of this sorted out - and Jac & I are working on this every day - then, I will see where we can slot in London Fog and Matrix. Ideally, I'd do both later, but I know we've been discussing the Matrix Box forever, and you guys have been understanding (mostly) and patient (mostly), and I know you want it ASAP, and I feel we kinda owe you that, so I will try my best to prioritize/push that agenda (and London Fog, too), but please understand that we cannot "call the shots" anymore - the record business is in such turmoil, and all labels have lost so many employees, not to mention places that even SELL CDs anymore (!!), let alone Box Sets (!!!), let alone catalog releases (!!!!) that it's extremely difficult to get all of this stuff done. We WILL get it done, I promise you - but as Ringo said, "Ya know it don't come easy." Or perhaps better, as Bowie said, "It ain't easy."

7. The 5CD Box Set will be the same 2CDs in the "L.A. Woman 40th Anniversary" release, plus 3 additional CDs of outtakes/alternate takes/studio chatter. Because of this, we will make arrangements so that no one will have to rebuy 2CDs twice. I'm not sure what the mechanism will be for doing this yet, but rest assured if you buy the 2CD 40th Anniversary release and then want the 5CD Box Set, you will get some kind of credit or discount to effectuate this. Rhino has promised this to us, so we will see how they suggest completing it, and we'll make sure you're taken care of.

8. ALL releases will be stickered with a cool, silver "Year Of The Doors 2011-2012" sticker on the packaging, so you will know they're a part of the campaign - look for it!

9. All of these plans have been discussed, agreed upon and decided by The Doors, Jac Holzman, Bruce Botnick, Rhino and me - just know that NOTHING is being done in a vacuum or is a result of one thing/one occurrence/one person.

10. As for the "Riders On The Storm" questions, I think it's a whole different take, but I don' know for sure. One thing I can tell you is I've HEARD The Doors doing "Ghost Riders In The Sky" during the session, so THAT'S pretty damn mindblowingly cool! I'll ask and advise soon on the ROTS issue.

11. When I know more, I will tell you.

#384 wolfchild

wolfchild

• Registered Users
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:00 PM

Thanks for the update. Hooray! Great time to be a Doors fan. (Having been one since 1978) I'll (try to) be patient....

#385 thelamb

thelamb

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:02 PM

Hi, All:

Here's an update on what's going on -

1. Jac Holzman has come on board personally to supervise, along with me, a whole campaign called "Year Of The Doors." This Year Of The Doors will run from November of this year to September 2012.

2. This will entail several changes to our planned release schedule, mostly reconfiguring release dates due to expanded packaging and higher-end materials we want to use, as well as some remastering and recutting of certain lacquers due to Botnick suggestions (and subsequent discussions with Holzman and me) regarding final mixes (he came up with some brilliant finds/opinions/solutions/suggestions on some vinyl material). This will necessitate extending certain art and packaging deadlines, and this also gives us more time to really get stuff as close to "right and perfect" as Jac and Bruce can. There are two additional products you will see (in addition to all the ones we've all been discussing here), and we are also trying to figure out how best/when to release London Fog and the Matrix Box Set, which are yet two MORE products we're trying to prepare.

3. As a result, you will see the Doors Record Store Day serial-numbered 7" Vinyl Box come this year (on November 25th, a/k/a "Black Friday"), and the other releases will be rolled out throughout next year. When, exactly, has not been set in stone, so DO NOT HOLD ME TO THIS (yet), but I'd think the 2CD set and vinyl may come at the end of January '12.

4. The 5CD box may come in January, too, or a little later - absolutely no idea yet. There will be two different digital apps, the first a simpler/more basic L.A. Woman/"Year Of The Doors" app in the early part of the year, and a real Grand-Poobah bells & whistles comprehensive All-Doors big-ass whizzbang digital app towards August of 2012. With what he have in mind, we need lots and lots of development time.

5. We are working on a super secret "hush-hush" cool collectible piece for September 2012. I cannot talk about it, but it has nothing to do with L.A. Woman or London Fog or the Matrix box. As/when I can begin to discuss it, I will, so don't keep asking me about it until then - PLEASE!

6. When we get all of this sorted out - and Jac & I are working on this every day - then, I will see where we can slot in London Fog and Matrix. Ideally, I'd do both later, but I know we've been discussing the Matrix Box forever, and you guys have been understanding (mostly) and patient (mostly), and I know you want it ASAP, and I feel we kinda owe you that, so I will try my best to prioritize/push that agenda (and London Fog, too), but please understand that we cannot "call the shots" anymore - the record business is in such turmoil, and all labels have lost so many employees, not to mention places that even SELL CDs anymore (!!), let alone Box Sets (!!!), let alone catalog releases (!!!!) that it's extremely difficult to get all of this stuff done. We WILL get it done, I promise you - but as Ringo said, "Ya know it don't come easy." Or perhaps better, as Bowie said, "It ain't easy."

7. The 5CD Box Set will be the same 2CDs in the "L.A. Woman 40th Anniversary" release, plus 3 additional CDs of outtakes/alternate takes/studio chatter. Because of this, we will make arrangements so that no one will have to rebuy 2CDs twice. I'm not sure what the mechanism will be for doing this yet, but rest assured if you buy the 2CD 40th Anniversary release and then want the 5CD Box Set, you will get some kind of credit or discount to effectuate this. Rhino has promised this to us, so we will see how they suggest completing it, and we'll make sure you're taken care of.

8. ALL releases will be stickered with a cool, silver "Year Of The Doors 2011-2012" sticker on the packaging, so you will know they're a part of the campaign - look for it!

9. All of these plans have been discussed, agreed upon and decided by The Doors, Jac Holzman, Bruce Botnick, Rhino and me - just know that NOTHING is being done in a vacuum or is a result of one thing/one occurrence/one person.

10. As for the "Riders On The Storm" questions, I think it's a whole different take, but I don' know for sure. One thing I can tell you is I've HEARD The Doors doing "Ghost Riders In The Sky" during the session, so THAT'S pretty damn mindblowingly cool! I'll ask and advise soon on the ROTS issue.

11. When I know more, I will tell you.

Jeff, this all sounds fantastic!! Thanks for updating us.

#386 The Royal Sperm

The Royal Sperm

Devil Sperm

• Members
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:35 PM

Jeff:

thanks for the honest update, sometimes is better a delay than a product out of the quality standars

from your points:

1. the Year of The Doors is a good idea, this can increase the sales, glad to see Holzman involved and rhino too.

2. two new items to the schedule? sounds neat! we have to wait: 5 CD l.a.woman, London Fog and MAtrix, i only wish that the 2 releases are Stockholm and IOW Bluray (not Hollywood Bowl and Post jim albums)

3. when will start the preorder of the four 45" and poster box? this will be available on the doors store, right? any news on S&H issues of musictoday?. i think at this point everybody understand the delay. still can share that pdf file?

4.i think that he 5 cd will be an april release, i don't know why but i can bet for that. apps will be only online, right? i mean people who buy boxsets don't want a cd with an app.

5. it will be a plaque? like the promoted in the 1997 box set booklet?

6. if is there lower sales on boxs why rhino releases 3 or 4 new expensive big fat and complete brand new boxsets?

7. thanks for clearify that, and as the guys have time to make it better hope can fill that 2nd cd of the 2cd version. the way to get that discount could be a personal code to use only one time and only for the buy of the 5cd box.

8. wow an sticker!

9. as i said, i understand the delay, some people do and others don't but all expect a bad ass l.a.woman release!

10. exciting! do you have any sample?

11. thanks
Waiting for the Big Fat Black Complete Matrix Box Set!

#387 tombstoneroad

tombstoneroad

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:05 AM

This is all very exciting news, Jeff!! Thank you, as always, for keeping us informed and updated. It certainly sounds like you guys have been putting considerable effort and time into LAW and other projects and it is appreciated. Looking forward to all of it and hoping (as I have pre-ordered) the the 5CD set will be along late January as you say may be possible. If not, knowing it will come relatively soon is still great news!

#388 Pats Radio

Pats Radio

Senior

• Members
  • 985 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:15 PM

Thanks Jeff.

Pats Radio

:unsure:
Well that's New York for ya. The only people that rush the stage are guys. - Jim

#389 hilts

hilts

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:56 PM

Sounds exciting Jeff. Thanks for the update!

#390 losAntonis

losAntonis

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:E-Bass,
    collecting Records

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:51 PM

Thank you for the informations Jeff.
I have already preordered the 5CD Set and the Vinyl as well.

#391 QuaintCabbageSaint

QuaintCabbageSaint

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:55 PM

All sounds great, can't wait to hear all this.

However, i'm kinda sceptical as to whether you really need to waste time (and money?) on an app for a band who's hardcore collectors are probably looking for CDs with some cool packaging for the most part, or some high quality FLAC/MP3 downloads of the new tracks.

I realise the times dictate the most popular forms of media. But does anyone know of anything similar that's been done? Does this really just deliver release dates of products as and when they come up?

An App for the Doors just seems like a square peg in a round hole scenario to me. If this is holding anything up then i'd say ditch it!

Feel free to shoot me down in flames tho! ;)
I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments. - JDM

#392 Pats Radio

Pats Radio

Senior

• Members
  • 985 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:42 PM

Hey Jeff, are you telling us in the next year...we'll see the 2CD set, 5CD set, LAW Vinyl, LAW single box, Matrix Box and London Fog gig ALL within 13-14 months??? Sounds like a lot of product which is fabulous for us but that does not sound very Jeff Jampolish to me. Am I wrong here???

Oh yeah BMA single downloads too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow. I'm very curious to hear your comment(s) here.

Thanks.

Pats Radio

B)
Well that's New York for ya. The only people that rush the stage are guys. - Jim

#393 Doorsmanagement

Doorsmanagement

Yo, 'sup?

• Members
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:53 PM

Hey Jeff, are you telling us in the next year...we'll see the 2CD set, 5CD set, LAW Vinyl, LAW single box, Matrix Box and London Fog gig ALL within 13-14 months??? Sounds like a lot of product which is fabulous for us but that does not sound very Jeff Jampolish to me. Am I wrong here???

Oh yeah BMA single downloads too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow. I'm very curious to hear your comment(s) here.

Thanks.

Pats Radio

B)

That IS the plan, but I'd be ready for London Fog OR Matrix - if we have logjams, those would prob be the leading candidates to be pushed back.

On the app front, you'll see two - one not dissimilar to what the gentleman (??) describes above, but the one later in the year will (hopefully) surprise and delight the HELL outta you. And you are correct - it's never been done. That's where The Doors come in!

#394 Pats Radio

Pats Radio

Senior

• Members
  • 985 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:16 PM

That IS the plan, but I'd be ready for London Fog OR Matrix - if we have logjams, those would prob be the leading candidates to be pushed back.

On the app front, you'll see two - one not dissimilar to what the gentleman (??) describes above, but the one later in the year will (hopefully) surprise and delight the HELL outta you. And you are correct - it's never been done. That's where The Doors come in!

Oh, I'm just about counting on something getting pushed back. I completely understand.

Thanks for getting back to me quickly.

Pats Radio

B)

#395 antero

antero

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:08 PM

Jeff

What I can't understand why there's so much interest into delaying those longtime awaited releases by fans like the MATRIX MASTERS TAPES and your announced 5CD set pre-orders ready LA WOMAN boxset, that now has no certain street date, can't understand it will be delayed by 2 applications projects, I Own the apple products but I can care less for the appls since what I really want to spend my money is in anything with new Doors music.

Why we can't get releases in a way the Jimi Hendrix Estate is doing? in one single release date you are able to buy a boxset, LP Boxset, 1 or 2 DVDs, a couple of CDs and another re-release but filled with DVD and extras.

I think at this point DMC has a plethora of products to fill the market for years to come in a massive way:

Hollywood Bowl 68 CD/Blu Ray DVD
Matrix Complete Masters
London Fog Book and CD
Bakersfield 1970
Seattle 1970
Winterland/ Fillmore 1967 (needs John overdubbing)
L.A Woman CD - 5CDs - Vinyl
Complete Singles Vinyl Boxset
Isle Of Wight DVD/Blu Ray and CD
BMA Flacs Downloads
Studio Outtakes in COMPLETE form ala Stooges funhouse sessions style

also if BMA could approach the Jimi Hendrix Dagger Records style to purchase master recordngs of SBD and amateur origins, there will be a lot more years for us to buy and score for example the Singer Bowl 68 alt recording and several sbds from the 67-68 period.

well here's my rant end, and I hope that "year of the Doors" sticker scheme is up to the level of what the fans is expecting and WAITING.
Please release the IOW in Blu-ray/DVD and the Matrix Abram's Masters Tapes!!!

#396 Doorsmanagement

Doorsmanagement

Yo, 'sup?

• Members
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:59 PM

Jeff

What I can't understand why there's so much interest into delaying those longtime awaited releases by fans like the MATRIX MASTERS TAPES and your announced 5CD set pre-orders ready LA WOMAN boxset, that now has no certain street date, can't understand it will be delayed by 2 applications projects, I Own the apple products but I can care less for the appls since what I really want to spend my money is in anything with new Doors music.

Why we can't get releases in a way the Jimi Hendrix Estate is doing? in one single release date you are able to buy a boxset, LP Boxset, 1 or 2 DVDs, a couple of CDs and another re-release but filled with DVD and extras.

I think at this point DMC has a plethora of products to fill the market for years to come in a massive way:

Hollywood Bowl 68 CD/Blu Ray DVD
Matrix Complete Masters
London Fog Book and CD
Bakersfield 1970
Seattle 1970
Winterland/ Fillmore 1967 (needs John overdubbing)
L.A Woman CD - 5CDs - Vinyl
Complete Singles Vinyl Boxset
Isle Of Wight DVD/Blu Ray and CD
BMA Flacs Downloads
Studio Outtakes in COMPLETE form ala Stooges funhouse sessions style

also if BMA could approach the Jimi Hendrix Dagger Records style to purchase master recordngs of SBD and amateur origins, there will be a lot more years for us to buy and score for example the Singer Bowl 68 alt recording and several sbds from the 67-68 period.

well here's my rant end, and I hope that "year of the Doors" sticker scheme is up to the level of what the fans is expecting and WAITING.

While I appreciate your rant, I think the phrase, "that 'year of the Doors' sticker scheme" is a little trivializing and disrespectful. We work really hard at this, and I know how easy it is to be an "armchair quarterback" and second-guess everything from your "on-high" position of judgment, critique and experience. Just don't buy it if you're not into it, but please try to show at least a tad of understanding and (is this asking way too much?) just a modicum of respect for the hard work that The Doors, Rhino, my team, and I DO do. In between our screwups, of course.

#397 universalmind69

universalmind69

• Members
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:07 AM

Jeff, the "sticker scheme" comment was the only thing you picked up on in antero's post? Really? It was 1 comment singled out of a post filled with more than its share of valid points and relevant questions.
The only reason that comment was added, I suspect, is because of what a lot of other people are feeling at the moment... yet another update from you to inform us of an until now, it seems to me at least, indefinite (until further notice) delay for several products, one of which a lot of people have already been charged $100+ for.
No setlist, no release date and this sudden addition of a "Year of The Doors" campaign (10 month long from the looks of it) should have prepared you for a few questions to be coming.

Accusing people of being dowright disrespectful wasn't called for, people should be allowed to air their feelings somewhat as long as long as it's done in the context of adressing valid and relevant issues in a sensible way.... something which antero did as far as I can see.

Some are ok with the situation, some are not... to each his own, we should all be allowed to voice our opinions and raise questions either way... don't you think?

#398 Doorsmanagement

Doorsmanagement

Yo, 'sup?

• Members
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:44 AM

Jeff, the "sticker scheme" comment was the only thing you picked up on in antero's post? Really? It was 1 comment singled out of a post filled with more than its share of valid points and relevant questions.
The only reason that comment was added, I suspect, is because of what a lot of other people are feeling at the moment... yet another update from you to inform us of an until now, it seems to me at least, indefinite (until further notice) delay for several products, one of which a lot of people have already been charged $100+ for.
No setlist, no release date and this sudden addition of a "Year of The Doors" campaign (10 month long from the looks of it) should have prepared you for a few questions to be coming.

Accusing people of being dowright disrespectful wasn't called for, people should be allowed to air their feelings somewhat as long as long as it's done in the context of adressing valid and relevant issues in a sensible way.... something which antero did as far as I can see.

Some are ok with the situation, some are not... to each his own, we should all be allowed to voice our opinions and raise questions either way... don't you think?

You guys said what you thought, I said what I thought.

That IS "voicing opinions" - and I get one, too.

#399 QuaintCabbageSaint

QuaintCabbageSaint

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:32 AM

Thanks for the info Jeff,

And I can confirm I am a gentleman (tho not often described that way :P )!

But really, if the apps are holding back the physical release of this material i'd rather give it a miss thanks, no matter how delightful it may be. From my experience with apps, they never work as well or as quickly as promised, people rarely use and interact with them as often as the maker would hope. I can't see what Doors material you can deliver via an app that we won't already have in some shape or form?

I'm all for bringing the Doors up to date, just not at the expense of getting new releases out there. Absolutely no disrespect intended, I just wonder if anyone else feels the same?
I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments. - JDM

#400 tombstoneroad

tombstoneroad

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:10 PM

I'm a retro, analogue guy so I'm buying the vinyl and the 5 CD set (which I pre-ordered). I'm happy to see there's a medium for every taste; everyone wins.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users