Photo

GREAT NEWS ON LA WOMAN DELUXE!

1418 replies to this topic

#41 secrethostofthetownship

secrethostofthetownship

• Members
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:04 PM

How does the band go from "having" to "not having?" Didn't they have the Paris Blues partially erased cassette dub in 2006 when you said Botnick was working on repairing it in the run up to Perception? Presumably Botnick would still have digital files on a hard drive from the digital workstation repair effort?

Didn't Robby have the 4 track home demos circa 1997, as Hyacinth House demo was published on The Doors Box set (1997)? Didn't Botnick do an archival backup safety digital transfer of all of Robby's 4 track demo tapes circa 1996-97 when they auditioned them for inclusion on The Doors Box Set?

I was going to go ahead and challenge this,but at the same time,i'm sure,it would really be to no avail.I'll wait to see what they offer-up in terms of the outtakes.And if there are some real cool unreleased tracks i'll be happy.If not,well,then,yeah,what happened to RK's demos?Even Paris Blues?

#42 manboob

manboob

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:41 PM

[quote name='secrethostofthetownship' date='12 July 2011 - 03:04 PM' timestamp='1310497483' post='363820']
I was going to go ahead and challenge this,but at the same time,i'm sure,it would really be to no avail.I'll wait to see what they offer-up in terms of the outtakes.And if there are some real cool unreleased tracks i'll be happy.If not,well,then,yeah,what happened to RK's demos?Even Paris Blues?
[/q

My thoughts when i started this thread are the same now. My guess is that at this point they know what is going to be included on this set at least 85% of it, but don't want to say anything yet because it's still a bit early and will cause a stir here. I may be totally wrong but i will give them the benefit of the doubt. For me if paris blues is found at this point it's not going to be anything to blow our minds maybe a little sample of what could of been, so sick of hearing we have it and then we can't find it! As for robby k sessions another unsolved mystery I think we should get Gov. Jesse Ventura from conspiracy theory to look into this!! Oh well I just want a well constructed reissue with what their saying an alternate take on LA Woman not different takes of Orange County Suite or You Need Meat Don't Go No Further.
I say this with the upmost respect for Jeff and crew not only with LA Woman but with anything put it out there you say you have dirty roadhouse blues perfect the whole song but can't release it for profanity? This is 2011 every cd has profanity on it anymore! Love you guys but for the last 4 years been hearing about outtakes cd, downloads, 45's collection ,Matrix , seen none of it!!! I wonder if there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow?

#43 Just Another Dark Witness

Just Another Dark Witness

I'm hiding THE BLUE BUS.... In my pants!

• Members
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:40 PM

You know guys, by the time we DO ever get to hear a snippet from "Paris Blues", we're all gonna be SO let down.... It's probably some silly little boring blues riff, that's a minute long......
Fish heads fish heads, roly poly fish heads...... Eat them up, yum....

#44 DoorsFanPeter

DoorsFanPeter

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:58 PM

Mr. Mojo Risin': The Story Of L.A. Woman (DVD and Television Program)
Release Date: October 2011
Format(s): Standard DVD / Blu-Ray / Digital Version (i.e. iTunes)
Show Synopsis
Featuring exclusive interviews with Ray Manzarek, John Densmore, Robby Kreiger and their closest colleagues and collaborators, exclusive performance, archive footage and examination of the original multi track recording tapes with Producer Bruce Botnick, this film will tell the amazing story of this landmark album by one of the most influential bands on the planet.

Interviewees
John Densmore
Ray Manzarek
Robby Krieger
Bill Siddons - Manager at time
Bruce Botnick – Producer/Engineer
Jac Holzman – CEO, Elektra Records
Michael McClure - Friend of Morrison, and poet
Ben Fong-Torres - Journalist who had one of the last interviews with Morrison
Frank Lisciandro - Filmmaker and friend
Jim Ladd - LA Radio DJ and Doors fan.
David Fricke – Rolling Stone Senior Editor

Are the Rothschild sessions expolored indepth thru thoughts from Paul via archival audio & print interivews or will they be quickly glazed over with a quick quotes from Band/Bruce?

#45 hardrockcafe

hardrockcafe

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:30 PM

Are the Rothschild sessions expolored indepth thru thoughts from Paul via archival audio & print interivews or will they be quickly glazed over with a quick quotes from Band/Bruce?

Good question. Rothchild goes into detail in the BAM interview. He seems to have had some sour grapes due to the success of the LA Woman album if you read between his drama queen lines.

http://archives.wait...hchild_bam.html

BAM: You were trying to make a point earlier about L.A. Woman and Riders on the Storm. I'd like to get back to that.

PR: Okay, we're back at L.A. Woman. Let's put this in my career perspective. I had close to 100 LP's under my belt. I had just finished making one of the greatest albums of my career, a labor of total love by the most loving and dedicated musicians I'd ever worked with. I'm talking about Janis Joplin's Pearl album. That music was full of heart, the way it's supposed to be in the studio. You got 110 percent from everyone in the band, and 150 percent from Janis.

That's the setting for this story about L.A. Woman:

I went into rehearsals with the Doors for about a month. They were set up in the basement of their offices on Santa Monica Blvd. But it was a joke! They'd come straggling in. Jim wouldn't even show up half the time. There was no enthusiasm at all. They were drugged on their own boredom. Just totally bummed out. Ray would try to get things together. He has this great enthusiasm! Still does. I love that man! John was really ANGRY about Jim's attitude, and Robbie sort of laughed at it and said, "That's Jim!"

It wasn't just Jim, though. They'd all been lazy. They only had four or five songs that were even defined enough to play as songs at that point. The most complete were L.A. Woman and Riders on the Storm, both of which I thought were great, great songs. My problem was I couldn't get them to play either of them decently. It was like trying to watch an 80 year old man trying to run the marathon. There was simply NOTHING THERE. There was NO energy. They couldn't have played Stormy Weather. Their heart wasn't in it, and it was easy to see why. JIM'S heart wasn't in it.

We rehearsed and rehearsed, but it didn't get any better. Finally I said, "Let's go in the studio. We've got to make a record sometime." I figured I'd be able to do it like the last few - patch together the best stuff. Ray would be a great cheerleader, and we'd finally get this thing going.

Well, we went in the studio, and it was DREADFUL. Wall to wall boredom. Jim wasn't into it at all. He'd get into his spoiled brat thing, and drag everything down deliberately. It was the military kid showing his father what a punk he could be. It was that simple.

I worked my ass off for a week, but it was still just fucking awful. I'd go into them and TELL them that, hoping that it would make them angry enough to do something good: "This isn't rock 'n' roll, it's cocktail lounge music!" But they just didn't have the heart any more. You know, it got so bad that for the first time in my career, I found myself drifting off to sleep, putting my head on the console and nodding off. It was just BAD. capital B, capital A, capital D, capital D, BADD!

I finally turned to Bruce Botnick and said, "I know another producer would stick with this because it's a quarter of a million dollars for the producer, but I can't do it. The reason I went into production was I loved music. But I cannot prostitute myself. This is whoring."

I went into the studio finally and said, "Guys, I think the best thing that could happen is for me to leave, because you've become too reliant on me to come up with the energy and the ideas and the direction, and I just don't want to do it anymore. The only way you'll survive is if you make this record yourself. You'll have to generate the enthusiasm and the brilliance." They freaked. Robbie got pale. Ray sat down heavily. Jim turned around and walked to the other side of the studio. John looked like he was going to have a coronary. "What are we going to do", they asked. I said, "You've seen how I work. Bruce has seen me do it for years. Use that as a jumping-off point and make your own Doors record. Because, if I put together what we've got and presented it to a record company, we couldn't even get a deal."

We said a very warm and tender and loving goodbye and I left. I'm still dear friends with them. If Jim were still alive, we'd still be making poetry records together.

The Doors did go on to produce their own record with Bruce, and from it came two excellent cuts - L.A. Woman and Riders on the Storm, the two that had been excellent in rehearsal. As far as I'm concerned you can take the entire rest of the record and throw it in the garbage can. I think it's terrible.'

BAM: Love Her Madly was not one of their better singles, I agree.

PR: That's exactly the song I was talking about that I said sounded like cocktail music. THAT'S the song that drove me out of the studio. That it sold a million copies means nothing to me. It's still bad music.

Edited by hardrockcafe, 14 July 2011 - 11:31 PM.

#46 DoorsFanPeter

DoorsFanPeter

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:23 AM

Good question. Rothchild goes into detail in the BAM interview. He seems to have had some sour grapes due to the success of the LA Woman album if you read between his drama queen lines.

http://archives.wait...hchild_bam.html

One of the few(only?) times I've ever seen reference to drugs affecting the playing ability of John/Rob and maybe Ray.

"Classic Albums" series has made great use of behind the scenes drama making for great albums and also a great documentary. Machine Head, Hysteria, Torpedoes and Rumours being examples. I anticipate the issue being glazed over.

#47 Gordon Typer

Gordon Typer

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:53 PM

One of the few(only?) times I've ever seen reference to drugs affecting the playing ability of John/Rob and maybe Ray.

I think you misread the quote.

He said they were drugged on their own boredom. Basically, the narcotic in question was self-caused depression and indifference.

With that said - I completely disagree with his assessment of the album (as a whole). I think it is almost the defining album for them and I wish they continued that brand of sound for more albums (as I'm greedy and wish Jim hadn't passed on).

Edited by Gordon Typer, 15 July 2011 - 02:58 PM.

#48 Gordon Typer

Gordon Typer

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:56 PM

I really wish the BMA was more inclusive of the fan base in these efforts. I know part of the fear is offering something and not being able to deliver, but we are a rabid fan base and all we want to do is be involved.

I wish that the guys in charge would give us true monthly updates and blogs. What's going on, what they are pursuing, what the future plans are. It gives us a true view of what's going on and allows us to interact more directly to the efforts.

#49 daniel@falaschi.net

daniel@falaschi.net

• Registered Users
  • 298 posts
  • Interests:Music<br />Outdoors sports<br />Geology

Posted 16 July 2011 - 03:16 PM

Itīs really hard to understand Paulīs hass towards the LA WOMAN album. Even more when you think he participated on the first digital transfer of the album. Itīs as hard to understand Keith Richards saying Led Zepplin musicaly never took off. MAybe itīs just that he felt frustrated because he left and incredibly, the band put out an amazing record. LAW is the first Doors album I heard and probably their best too. Only LīAmerica seems to me bad music. But how can Paul have said The CHangeling, Love her madly, Hycint House is bad music is absolutely beyond me. I hope this anniversary edition really makes a powerful tribute to the great album LAW is and will be.
Bring back the Q&A thread!

#50 Pats Radio

Pats Radio

Senior

• Members
  • 985 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:25 PM

Hey Jeff, any idea how limited the 4-CD will be??? 5-10-15 k???? Thanks

Pats Radio

B)
Well that's New York for ya. The only people that rush the stage are guys. - Jim

#51 Doorsmanagement

Doorsmanagement

Yo, 'sup?

• Members
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:51 AM

Hey Jeff, any idea how limited the 4-CD will be??? 5-10-15 k???? Thanks

Pats Radio

B)

I'm gonna GUESS 5K, maybe up to 10K.

#52 Doorsmanagement

Doorsmanagement

Yo, 'sup?

• Members
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:52 AM

I'm gonna GUESS 5K, maybe up to 10K.

P.S. Botnick just told me today that there is a long blues jam in the outtakes which has never been heard before(!!)

Now, all I know is that I'VE never heard it, but you guys constantly surprise me, so I'm ready to be wrong....but, as of now, as far as I can tell.....brand new song!

#53 Labrador Retriever

Labrador Retriever

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:56 AM

schwing

P.S. Botnick just told me today that there is a long blues jam in the outtakes which has never been heard before(!!)

Now, all I know is that I'VE never heard it, but you guys constantly surprise me, so I'm ready to be wrong....but, as of now, as far as I can tell.....brand new song!

#54 Pats Radio

Pats Radio

Senior

• Members
  • 985 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:59 AM

Wow, thanks Jeff, I like the thought of 5 K better for collectors purposes but I could live with 10 k I guess. Just saying. New song??? Well that would be news wouldn't it? How long is it? Thanks for the info Jeff, please give us a heads up for pre-order asap. Also, artwork any news there???

Thank You

Pats Radio

B)
Well that's New York for ya. The only people that rush the stage are guys. - Jim

#55 The Royal Sperm

The Royal Sperm

Devil Sperm

• Members
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:00 PM

a new jam sounds cool, but maybe is just a work on progress of one song, anybody said l.a.woman?
Waiting for the Big Fat Black Complete Matrix Box Set!

#56 Gordon Typer

Gordon Typer

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:13 PM

Any chance we will get this in high resolution? Not 5.1, but actual, straight forward high resolution mastering?

Edit: Just found this: Pink Floyd DSoTM Immersion

I really hope that we get similar treatment on the Doors' albums one day.

Edited by Gordon Typer, 20 July 2011 - 05:30 PM.

#57 Roughie

Roughie

Rider on the Boards

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  • Interests:Writing, film making, photography, comedy, horses, music.

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:51 PM

Do we have any release dates yet?
The Down, Across & Up DVD is now available. It is a multi-region DVD. The DVD and book are available through our website.

www.downacrossup.com

www.purplesheep.co.nz

#58 tombstoneroad

tombstoneroad

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:36 PM

A long blues jam, huh? Very cool! I can't wait to hear it! Maybe there's hope for some OV & FC tracks with Jim singing. Thanks for the info, Jeff!

#59 Just Another Dark Witness

Just Another Dark Witness

I'm hiding THE BLUE BUS.... In my pants!

• Members
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:42 AM

Let's all lobby to make sure Bruce doesn't cut the blues jam thing down, like on "Rock Is Dead". We want it ALL! Right gang? Just as it was played.
Fish heads fish heads, roly poly fish heads...... Eat them up, yum....

#60 FamiliarFreak

FamiliarFreak

• Super Administrators
  • 5,873 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 02:53 AM

Let's all lobby to make sure Bruce doesn't cut the blues jam thing down, like on "Rock Is Dead". We want it ALL! Right gang? Just as it was played.

I've been doing this stuff for a long time (although not HALF as long as you Witness), and I am VERY excited about this. I know I can't wait to turn the lights off, turn the stereo up, and listen to those outtakes and studio chatter like I'm a fly on the wall in the studio with them. These are the releases I live for.
Dave

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users