Photo

The Doors at Fillmore East March 22-23,1968

56 replies to this topic

#21 DoorsFanPeter

DoorsFanPeter

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 05:26 AM

Wasn't Graham's archive not locked down properly given that he died unexpectedly in 1991 in a helicopter crash? Tapes by top acts could have been looted by his own staff -- or he could have given away tapes to employees. Are you suggesting that the opening act for The Doors paid Graham to use his gear and record The Doors, which were headlining? Does that sound logical?

It's unclear what got destroyed in the fire that happened to the archive in the early/mid 80's. Or what tapes "disappeared" while he was still alive.

I've never heard of BGP ever having a permanemt multitrack and the billboard article mentions access to one.

Many of those BGP bills were more MULTIARTIST unique lineups rather than traditional "opener/closer" billings. I also think EVERY multitrack recording from a BGP venue was funded by the label/artist witht he exception of a couple TV short projects/experiments he tried to get off the ground.

#22 hardrockcafe

hardrockcafe

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:51 PM

It's unclear what got destroyed in the fire that happened to the archive in the early/mid 80's. Or what tapes "disappeared" while he was still alive.

I've never heard of BGP ever having a permanemt multitrack and the billboard article mentions access to one.

Many of those BGP bills were more MULTIARTIST unique lineups rather than traditional "opener/closer" billings. I also think EVERY multitrack recording from a BGP venue was funded by the label/artist witht he exception of a couple TV short projects/experiments he tried to get off the ground.

http://www.wolfgangs...ly-21-1970.html

"Any doubts Graham may have had about inviting Chicago to headline were completely annihilated within minutes of the band hitting the stage. Chicago not only proved up to the challenge but, before the night was over, exceeded all expectations, including their own. The band delivered a monstrous performance, and if it were up to the audience and there was no strictly enforced curfew, Chicago literally could have played all night. Presented here is all the evidence, newly mixed from Bill Graham’s never-before-heard multitrack masters, stored away for four decades. Not only are these recordings sonically spectacular, but they capture a pinnacle performance in Chicago’s early career, when the internal chemistry of the initial lineup was at its apex and their live performances most magical. For fans of the original lineup and Terry Kath fans in particular, this recording is indeed a holy grail, containing a performance for the ages that rivals anything happening at the time."

Edited by hardrockcafe, 04 September 2011 - 12:53 PM.

#23 hardrockcafe

hardrockcafe

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:28 PM

Here's a Bill Graham recording of The Who recorded at The Fillmore East April 6, 1968 - two weeks after The Doors played there: ===> http://www.wolfgangs...il-06-1968.html

#24 Doorsmanagement

Doorsmanagement

Yo, 'sup?

• Members
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 04:25 AM

Here's a Bill Graham recording of The Who recorded at The Fillmore East April 6, 1968 - two weeks after The Doors played there: ===> http://www.wolfgangs...il-06-1968.html

Hey, all I can tell you guys is that as a part of our lawsuit with Wolfgang's Vault, we/they did an extensive inventory and archival search of all their holdings - and they represented to us and our lawyers, in court-admitted legal documents, that they have NO Doors recordings.

#25 Hamlet

Hamlet

• Members
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:03 AM

- thank you for putting this to rest!
we´s just joy-ridin´

#26 Pats Radio

Pats Radio

Senior

• Members
  • 985 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:20 AM

- thank you for putting this to rest!

I second that. Thanks Jeff.

Pats Radio

:D
Well that's New York for ya. The only people that rush the stage are guys. - Jim

#27 crazyhorse80

crazyhorse80

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:47 PM

Hey, all I can tell you guys is that as a part of our lawsuit with Wolfgang's Vault, we/they did an extensive inventory and archival search of all their holdings - and they represented to us and our lawyers, in court-admitted legal documents, that they have NO Doors recordings.

I'm sorry that I'm a little naive on this subject as I don't recall reading here or anywhere else about The Doors' lawsuit against Wolfgang's Vault--which I'm sure has been previously discussed on this forum in-depth--but why would The Doors have a lawsuit against Wolfgang's Vault if they don't have any Doors recordings, or have never produced any Doors material on their site?

#28 Doorsmanagement

Doorsmanagement

Yo, 'sup?

• Members
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 02:01 AM

I'm sorry that I'm a little naive on this subject as I don't recall reading here or anywhere else about The Doors' lawsuit against Wolfgang's Vault--which I'm sure has been previously discussed on this forum in-depth--but why would The Doors have a lawsuit against Wolfgang's Vault if they don't have any Doors recordings, or have never produced any Doors material on their site?

Some of the co-plaintiffs were The Doors, Janis Joplin, the Grateful Dead, Santana, and Led Zeppelin.

You can probably access info via public sites, but I can't discuss anything relating to this case other than what I already have.

#29 The Royal Sperm

The Royal Sperm

Devil Sperm

• Members
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:40 AM

Some of the co-plaintiffs were The Doors, Janis Joplin, the Grateful Dead, Santana, and Led Zeppelin.

You can probably access info via public sites, but I can't discuss anything relating to this case other than what I already have.

we understand you can talk about.

btw, what happened with the Collected Writings of Jim?
Waiting for the Big Fat Black Complete Matrix Box Set!

#30 DoorsFanPeter

DoorsFanPeter

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:07 PM

They are allowed to sell their vintage merch with band names, but got into hot water when trying to reprint iconic posters artwork images that include band names for shirts, poster reissues, coffee mugs etc...

They own the art designs and now sell modified versions of artwok on those items with the band names removed.

#31 DoorsFanPeter

DoorsFanPeter

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:07 PM

They are allowed to sell their vintage merch with band names, but got into hot water when trying to reprint iconic posters artwork images that include band names for shirts, poster reissues, coffee mugs etc...

They own the art designs and now sell modified versions of artwok on those items with the band names removed.

#32 hardrockcafe

hardrockcafe

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:09 AM

Rhino finally posted sound samples of Iron Butterfly at Fillmore East from April 1968 -- one month after the Doors played the venue. Take a listen at the link below. The audio fidelity is fantastic. This was apparently recorded using Graham's 4 track machine (which was a service available to bands) by an Atlantic engineer. I wonder if the Doors Fillmore East gigs were recorded on this same 4 track machine. Can you imagine hearing The Doors in 1968 in this quality? See link below to listen to the sound sample clips!!

http://www.rhino.com...t-1968-handmade

#33 Hamlet

Hamlet

• Members
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:26 AM

er...The Doors weren´t recorded. See above!
we´s just joy-ridin´

#34 hardrockcafe

hardrockcafe

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:38 PM

What qualifies you to claim this? Are you saying Vince Treanor is wrong?

#35 Hamlet

Hamlet

• Members
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:21 AM

- I don´t know what Vince Treanor said.

This is not about saying and stating...

Where are the tapes?

This is Jeff´s statement:

Does Vince have the tapes?
we´s just joy-ridin´

#36 crazyhorse80

crazyhorse80

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:52 PM

- I don´t know what Vince Treanor said.

This is not about saying and stating...

Where are the tapes?

This is Jeff´s statement:

Does Vince have the tapes?

All Jeff said was Wolfgang's Vault doesn't have any tapes. Maybe someone in the BG camp sold or stole the tapes back in the day. Or maybe Vince has them. Or maybe someone sold or stole them from The Doors' archive back in the day. But it has been said from reputable sources that they were recorded. But maybe they weren't. Who knows?

#37 hardrockcafe

hardrockcafe

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:16 AM

You've made an unfounded leap. Reread Jeff's post. Wolfgang's Vault didn't say the Doors weren't recorded. Instead they said they have no tapes. There's a difference. Vince Treanor was there, and he said Graham's people recorded the show. You will want to note that Graham's people would have needed Vince's permission to tap into his board to record The Doors.

#38 Hamlet

Hamlet

• Members
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 03:47 PM

All Jeff said was Wolfgang's Vault doesn't have any tapes. Maybe someone in the BG camp sold or stole the tapes back in the day. Or maybe Vince has them. Or maybe someone sold or stole them from The Doors' archive back in the day. But it has been said from reputable sources that they were recorded. But maybe they weren't. Who knows?

- who stole the tapes?
we´s just joy-ridin´

#39 crazyhorse80

crazyhorse80

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:28 PM

- who stole the tapes?

I didn't say anyone stole the tapes. I said "maybe" someone did. Here is the definition of "maybe" so you can investigate further into my post:

may·be [mey-bee]

adverb
1. perhaps; possibly.

noun
2. a possibility or uncertainty.

#40 Hamlet

Hamlet

• Members
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:12 AM

Ok, so maybe or perhaps Barack Obama has the Fillmore Tapes?

It is a possibility.
we´s just joy-ridin´

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users