The Doors Infinite Boxed Sets

41 replies to this topic

#1 The Royal Sperm

The Royal Sperm

Devil Sperm

• Members
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:53 PM

As we remember, Jeffrey announced last year the re-re-re-re-re-re.......-release of the six band (morrison era) albums on 200 gram vinyl 45rom double vinyl for each album and SACD,

now the news are:

they will release them on different dates (all 2012):

45 rpm Vinyl ($50 each):

The doors - July 02
Strange Days - July 02
Waiting For the Sun - August 02
The Soft Parade - August 02
Morrison Hotel - September 03
L.a.woman - September 03

SACD ($30 each):

The doors - September 10
Strange Days - September 10
Waiting For the Sun - August 02
The Soft Parade - October 10
Morrison Hotel - November 12
L.a.woman - November 12

source:
http://store.acousti...ywords=NL060812

now, for get more profit of them, they will box set them!

Infinite SACD box ($280 for 6 albums):

i don't know why the box itself worth $100!!! maybe will include a 2000 pages book!

No release date yet:

source:
http://store.acousti...ite-Hybrid_SACD

Infinite 45 rpm vinyl ($400 for 6 albums - 12 discs)

Once again, i don't know why the box worth $100! is insane!

Release date: october 02

source:
http://store.acousti...-Vinyl_Box_Sets

So, can we expect something new this year? if they already "filled" the the rest of the 18 months Year of the doors?

btw, i got that info cos i'm subscribed to the acousticsounds newsletter, and those guys always get early their products (two weeks earlier than the official doors store)

Thousands of dollars rest upon this day ....

Edited by The Royal Sperm, 09 June 2012 - 08:59 PM.

Waiting for the Big Fat Black Complete Matrix Box Set!

#2 The Royal Sperm

The Royal Sperm

Devil Sperm

• Members
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:55 PM

the acousticsounds newsletter:

Let's Make A Date

You've been patient - very patient - and we appreciate it. At long last, we have for you some dates for our much anticipated Doors 45-RPM and SACD reissue series. The first two LP titles - The Doors and Strange Days are right around the corner.

A note to our customers: Again, we appreciate your patience in waiting for these products to come to market. We know it's been a long wait, and believe us, nobody's more excited than we are. But please understand, whenever we set out to do a reissue project, our goal is to surpass any issue or reissue that's been done previous to ours. Doing that takes a lot of time, effort and money.

Beginning with securing the absolute analog masters and on to getting approval for the artwork, the printing of the labels and jackets, the manufacturing of the product, etc., etc. the process involves a lot more back-and-forth negotiating, prodding and waiting than many people may realize. Many of the steps in the process are out of our control. But know this: We would rather have our products come out a year late and be proud of those products than to meet a street date. We don't cut corners. When a record label tries to tell us a tape copy or digital file we'll do, we tell them that no, it won't. You wouldn't believe what kind of an effort this can involve. We fight for quality, but it often means waiting a little longer. When our proofs are held up in a label's legal approval department, we're calling and emailing continuously to keep the project moving. We call it stokin' the coals. Sometimes we get results; other times we've got to push a little harder. In many cases, we're dealing with major corporations and major artists. Often, we need to get approval from the label, from the artist's management and from the artist themselves. Any one step can significantly hold up the process.

The point is this: We know it can be frustrating when we announce products far in advance of when they come out. We know it can be frustrating when we don't meet the street dates we initially published. Listen, we're trying, and we're trying hard. And so while we hope we'll hit all of these dates and while we'll do everything we possibly can to make that happen, street dates are subject to change. It's the nature of the game we play.

Thank you for your support. Thank you for your patience. And thank you for your business.

#3 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:52 PM

Aren't these releases independent of The Doors Music Company? I thought that these releases were licensed to Acoustic Sounds. The criticism for the prices of these releases should be directed at Acoustic Sounds, not The Doors. I don't believe that these are the releases Jeff has been referring to regarding the "Year of The Doors."

#4 The Royal Sperm

The Royal Sperm

Devil Sperm

• Members
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:58 PM

Aren't these releases independent of The Doors Music Company? I thought that these releases were licensed to Acoustic Sounds. The criticism for the prices of these releases should be directed at Acoustic Sounds, not The Doors. I don't believe that these are the releases Jeff has been referring to regarding the "Year of The Doors."

really? jeff announced them last year. in that case. i would like to read his reply

#5 Pats Radio

Pats Radio

Senior

• Members
  • 985 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:09 PM

I may be wrong but I don't believe these releases have anything to do with the "Year of the Doors" campaign.

Pats Radio

Posted Image
Well that's New York for ya. The only people that rush the stage are guys. - Jim

#6 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:51 PM

These releases were addressed by Jeff in another thread last year.

There's a gentleman named Chad Kassem who owns Acoustic Sounds, and also Analogue Productions. He is a high-end audiophile retailer who is also VERY much into high-quality reissues on both vinyl and SACD. He has licensed the Masters from us to release his own product. I guess he feels that these albums are best served, as probably (I don't really know) the existing Mo-Fi gold CD versions of MH TSP are already out there and have fulfilled the need from audiophiles. But you'd have to ask Chad, I guess.

These masters were from the source, except for the Doors debut record, for which we do not have the original analog master anymore, and haven't for probably well over a decade (well way before MY time, anyway). The multichannel mixes are Botnick's mixes from the Perception Box in 2006, and all the vinyl & SACD masters were prepared from the original stereo mixes that were originally remastered by Bernie Grundman, Bruce Botnick and Jac Holzman a couple of years ago. These are brand new remasters done by Chad's guys in their VERY high-end vinyl pressing plant and mastering facilities. You can read about them in a back issue of Stereophile or The Absolute Sound from, I think, earlier this year. Very in-depth article.

Not that I'm aware of. Don't read too much into it. As Sigmund Freud once opined, "Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar."

It's a license. The licensee will pay for and manufacture what he thinks he can sell (and recoup his costs). And these are straight-up high-end audiophile releases. If they go bonkers and sell through the roof, maybe he'll do the other ones, too. Maybe not. Up to him, really.

As for Hoffman, that again is up to the licensee, and in this case, Analogue Productions has their own "fave" mastering engineer which, again, is their prerogative.

SACD is Sony's proprietary version of DSD, which is an ultra-high resolution transfer - it's the highest bitrate possible on a disc, and I LOVE the sound of SACDs. Need an SACD-capable player to play these discs. It's still stereo, just ultra high quality sound. BUT, if they are including the 5.1 mixes, then these will play multichannel (5.1) as WELL as stereo - the option will be in your setup when you insert the disc to play. I can't remember exactly, but I don't recall them using the 5.1 Masters, so I'm not sure the multichannel mixes are included - but they DO say "Multichannel Hybrid SACD," so it's confusing. My guess is they call ALL of their SACDS "Multichannel Hybrid CDs" and that these are only stereo. I should know this stuff, riiiight? But it's late, I'm at home, and I just....don't....remember.

DVD-A was Panasonic's (Matsushita's) version of ultra-high bitrate transfer, and can only be played on DVD players capable of DVD-A ("DVD audio") playback. It's like Ford and Chevy, or Pepsi and Coke. Though if I had to pick based on sound quality, I'd go SACD every time. Unfortunately, at the time we issued the Perception Box Set, DVD-A was the only format endorsed by Warners, whereas SACD was the only format endorsed by Sony. Neither of these formats ever gained widespread consumer appeal, so now they're left to audiophile companies to reissue, and high-end audio buffs make up a very successful, but small, market for these ultra-high bitrate disc transfers.

http://www.thedoors.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21524

Edited by Encuentro, 10 June 2012 - 07:51 PM.

#7 The Royal Sperm

The Royal Sperm

Devil Sperm

• Members
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:54 PM

Thanks encuentro! that's i was talking about

#8 Pats Radio

Pats Radio

Senior

• Members
  • 985 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:02 AM

Yes, I know Jeff talked about them but as he said they are doing their own releases on these. So this really proves my point which is, they are NOT part of the "Year of the Doors" campaign. This is separate.

Pats Radio

Posted Image
Well that's New York for ya. The only people that rush the stage are guys. - Jim

#9 The Royal Sperm

The Royal Sperm

Devil Sperm

• Members
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:36 PM

Yes, I know Jeff talked about them but as he said they are doing their own releases on these. So this really proves my point which is, they are NOT part of the "Year of the Doors" campaign. This is separate.

Pats Radio

Posted Image

hope you're right, but the schedule fits perfect to the year of the doors ....

#10 Doorsmanagement

Doorsmanagement

Yo, 'sup?

• Members
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:10 AM

Correct. This is a separate issue (or, should I say, "reissue")!

Acoustic Sounds and Analogue Productions are pressing THE highest-quality audiophile vinyl and high-end SACDs in the business, bar none, and they have taken a lot of time, spent a lot of money and gone all out for these releases (which, as Pat's Radio and others have stated, are not an official part of the "Year Of The Doors").

They sound SPEC.TAC.ULAR.

But, they are not "official" Doors product - they were licensed to Analogue Productions. And AP sets all pricing, parameters and other aspects. We just approve the mastering, licensing and artwork.

#11 Pats Radio

Pats Radio

Senior

• Members
  • 985 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:02 AM

Hey Jeff, I have a few questions which if you could answer would be much appreciated and give us "Doors Kool Aid drinkers" something to really gulp.

1. Can you add anything new (ball park release dates to anything) to the "Year of the Doors" campaign? I noticed when you said what was coming that Matrix was not part of that for this year. Is that correct?

2. Also, anything new on LAW box??? Will it be a digital only or not?

3. HB, complete concert? CD too?

4. Any hints on "hush hush collectable" if it's still i play?

5. Does Stockholm, London, Seattle or Bakersfield ever have a shot at physical release or digital???

Thank you

Happy Summaaaaa

Pats Radio

Posted Image

#12 The Royal Sperm

The Royal Sperm

Devil Sperm

• Members
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:58 PM

Correct. This is a separate issue (or, should I say, "reissue")!

Acoustic Sounds and Analogue Productions are pressing THE highest-quality audiophile vinyl and high-end SACDs in the business, bar none, and they have taken a lot of time, spent a lot of money and gone all out for these releases (which, as Pat's Radio and others have stated, are not an official part of the "Year Of The Doors").

They sound SPEC.TAC.ULAR.

But, they are not "official" Doors product - they were licensed to Analogue Productions. And AP sets all pricing, parameters and other aspects. We just approve the mastering, licensing and artwork.

Cool to know that! thanks jeff!

#13 icewood

icewood

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:45 AM

Hey Jeff, I have a few questions which if you could answer would be much appreciated and give us "Doors Kool Aid drinkers" something to really gulp.

1. Can you add anything new (ball park release dates to anything) to the "Year of the Doors" campaign? I noticed when you said what was coming that Matrix was not part of that for this year. Is that correct?

2. Also, anything new on LAW box??? Will it be a digital only or not?

3. HB, complete concert? CD too?

4. Any hints on "hush hush collectable" if it's still i play?

5. Does Stockholm, London, Seattle or Bakersfield ever have a shot at physical release or digital???

Thank you

Happy Summaaaaa

Pats Radio

Posted Image

Please, please, please consider giving Stockholm a suitable, meticulously restored treatment; this is one of the Doors' archival masterpieces and is one of the best mid-period documents of their power and cohesion in concert.

No millionth-time-heard repetitious medley, no so-so blues run-throughs (sure there are weak spots, like Wild Child); all in all, a worthy candidate for pristine restoration. Am I insane to think that there is even material here so good that some brave non-online radio station might dare put a live Doors song back into rotation, e.g. Love Me Two Times? Great performances here, and enormous potential for sales and airtime, if properly remastered.

Thanks for letting me dream :)
Everything human
is leaving
her face

Soon she will disappear
into the calm
vegetable
morass

Stay!

My Wild Love!

#14 tombstoneroad

tombstoneroad

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:55 PM

If Stockholm were to get such treatment, I'd love to see it taken a step further and also see a 180 gram LP release..

#15 tombstoneroad

tombstoneroad

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:59 PM

By the way, if the singles box ever does see the light of day, it should go all the way to the Full Circle singles. Get Up And Dance/Tree Trunk! Those post-Morrison singles should all absolutely be included, in my opinion..

#16 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:24 PM

Agreed on both the 180-gram LP release of Stockholm or any release for that matter, I love vinyl, and all of the singles being included in a potential singles box set. However, I doubt that they would include the Other Voices and Full Circle era singles. The Doors have a history of pretending that those albums don't exist.

#17 Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:50 AM

Agreed on both the 180-gram LP release of Stockholm or any release for that matter, I love vinyl, and all of the singles being included in a potential singles box set. However, I doubt that they would include the Other Voices and Full Circle era singles. The Doors have a history of pretending that those albums don't exist.

This continues to annoy the hell out of me. I know Jeff has explained that those new SACDs have been licensed out, and I've pre-ordered them because they're going to sound amazing, but they're being referred to as "all" of The Doors albums. They're not. They comprise 3/4s of the band's albums. I have no idea why they're so ashamed of their work after Jim Morrison died. It's not their fault he left them in the lurch, headed for Paris then died there. The music might not have been as consistent or as exciting but there is some great stuff on there and, whether they like it or not, it's part of their body of work.

Edited by Six Bachelors, 17 June 2012 - 07:52 AM.

#18 tombstoneroad

tombstoneroad

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:32 PM

I agree. Like it or not, those albums exist. And you know what? They're pretty damn good. I've met many people that saw them in '71 and '72. The persistent comment; they were great in concert! Personally, i love those albums and count them among the Doors' original timeline/progression...

#19 tombstoneroad

tombstoneroad

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:37 PM

Rewriting history is the single worst offense to the past. You may as well come to my house, take my copies of OV &FC and do the Men In Black phaser on me so i forget they ever existed...

#20 Just Another Dark Witness

Just Another Dark Witness

I'm hiding THE BLUE BUS.... In my pants!

• Members
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:38 PM

I love OV and FC. Especially OV. Man, if only Jim did the vocals on that baby.... Yes, let's NOT forget those 2 albums. Only reason I don't bitch and moan about them not being given a proper cd treatment, is because of the several boot cd's I have, that actually sound pretty good.

I think I saw The Doors post Morrison, maybe 3 or more times. Excellent exciting shows. Not quite the same without Jim, but pretty damn good. Hey, I took pictures even! Did you see the cool pix I took of soundcheck before the Hollywood Palladium show? They have them around here somewhere. Maybe google them. No one cared about all the pix I took in the 70's. Thank goodness for the internet----
Fish heads fish heads, roly poly fish heads...... Eat them up, yum....

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users