What books have your read?

29 replies to this topic

#1 flashing bliss

flashing bliss

FB

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

I'm sure there was a thread in a similar vein, but I have searched twice and so will have to start another one.

Like many, I started with the Hopkins/Sugarman one but only read 4 books in my first decade as a fan. Here's the list of what books I have read. Feel free to list your own and any other comments you like.

NOHGOA
Illustrated History
The Lords & The New Creatures
Riders On The Storm

That was it for umpteen years until my ego was piqued by two things in an AOL quiz room about seven years ago. The Doors quiz was mainly lyrics and someone had the temerity to score as many points as me! After that, someone in the quiz room asked me ....... 'do you think Patricia Kenely should use his surname?' I didn't have a clue but started to talk about the Doors, people latched on and the Christmas presents arrived..........

Strange Days
Life Death Legend
Wild Child
I could see this needed a little fine tuning.........

Wonderland Avenue
Rimbaud & Jim Morrison
The Lizard King Was Here
Light My Fire
A Guide - Doug Sundling

and three related this past year that I'd been meaning to read forever
Heart of Darkness
On the Road
Burn Down The Night
And devouring new-to-me Youtube and all things Doors on the net, such as Jack Holzman and Bob Seymore.

To do list (shortened) :-
Wilderness - American Night
John Tobler
Frank Lisciandro
Judy Huddleston
On The Road £££
Dennis Jakob
and ROBBIE KRIEGER!

And the old threads on here before they disappear. Janet is right, there are some fantastic discussions but there were even more at one time. Just click that >> icon to go to the back of these forums. If anyone finds the original thread I can copy this there instead.
Flash

#2 Alexander

Alexander

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

Just read the book by Dennis Jakob and "The Lizard King was Here." They're both really cool. All the other books are more or less the same, but Jakob's and Mark Ospasnick's offer a lot of new information from when Jim was in college and high school, a time which is usually not ever talked about in great detail. However, I felt Jakob could've said more but didn't.

#3 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:35 AM

I'm sure there was a thread in a similar vein, but I have searched twice and so will have to start another one.

Like many, I started with the Hopkins/Sugarman one but only read 4 books in my first decade as a fan. Here's the list of what books I have read. Feel free to list your own and any other comments you like.

NOHGOA
Illustrated History
The Lords & The New Creatures
Riders On The Storm

That was it for umpteen years until my ego was piqued by two things in an AOL quiz room about seven years ago. The Doors quiz was mainly lyrics and someone had the temerity to score as many points as me! After that, someone in the quiz room asked me ....... 'do you think Patricia Kenely should use his surname?' I didn't have a clue but started to talk about the Doors, people latched on and the Christmas presents arrived..........

Strange Days
Life Death Legend
Wild Child
I could see this needed a little fine tuning.........

Wonderland Avenue
Rimbaud & Jim Morrison
The Lizard King Was Here
Light My Fire
A Guide - Doug Sundling

and three related this past year that I'd been meaning to read forever
Heart of Darkness
On the Road
Burn Down The Night
And devouring new-to-me Youtube and all things Doors on the net, such as Jack Holzman and Bob Seymore.

To do list (shortened) :-
Wilderness - American Night
John Tobler
Frank Lisciandro
Judy Huddleston
On The Road £££
Dennis Jakob
and ROBBIE KRIEGER!

And the old threads on here before they disappear. Janet is right, there are some fantastic discussions but there were even more at one time. Just click that >> icon to go to the back of these forums. If anyone finds the original thread I can copy this there instead.

I've read most of the books on your list. I'm surprised that you didn't include Break On Through by James Riordan and Jerry Prochnicky. It's the defininitive Morrison biography.

#4 oak

oak

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

I've only ever completely read on the subject The Doors/Jim Morrison: 'Riders On The Storm', 'Wilderness', 'The American Night', 'The Lords & The New Creatures'.

I do have other books for the sake of curiousity, it's nice. Selective pieces in Break On Through, Light My Fire,The Doors by The Doors, An Hour for Magic, When the Music's Over: The Stories Behind Every Song, Rimbaud and Jim Morrison: The Rebel as Poet, The Doors FAQ, The Doors-Easy Piano.

On my list: On The Road (God knows when), Robby's book (unpublished), John's book on the trial (unpublished), The Doors: A Lifetime of Listening to Five Mean Years (summer 2013).

#5 flashing bliss

flashing bliss

FB

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:41 AM

I've read most of the books on your list. I'm surprised that you didn't include Break On Through by James Riordan and Jerry Prochnicky. It's the defininitive Morrison biography.

Good point. Does it contain more than I can find elsewhere? What makes people recommend it? Thanks.
Flash

#6 flashing bliss

flashing bliss

FB

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:52 AM

I've only ever completely read on the subject The Doors/Jim Morrison: 'Riders On The Storm', 'Wilderness', 'The American Night', 'The Lords & The New Creatures'.

I do have other books for the sake of curiousity, it's nice. Selective pieces in Break On Through, Light My Fire,The Doors by The Doors, An Hour for Magic, When the Music's Over: The Stories Behind Every Song, Rimbaud and Jim Morrison: The Rebel as Poet, The Doors FAQ, The Doors-Easy Piano.

On my list: On The Road (God knows when), Robby's book (unpublished), John's book on the trial (unpublished), The Doors: A Lifetime of Listening to Five Mean Years (summer 2013).

Just read the book by Dennis Jakob and "The Lizard King was Here." They're both really cool. All the other books are more or less the same, but Jakob's and Mark Ospasnick's offer a lot of new information from when Jim was in college and high school, a time which is usually not ever talked about in great detail. However, I felt Jakob could've said more but didn't.

Ahh what a shame about Jakob. I read the snippets on Amazon. He sounds like a good guy.
Flash

#7 StupidGirl

StupidGirl

• Banned
  • 2,835 posts
  • Interests:the truth...for it can be adjusted.....

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:38 AM

k, hold on, I type slow...*not to mention, smoke,drink & cuzz while I'm typin'*

I have read all of the following except one:
Light My Fire
Break On Through
No One Get Out Alive
Wilderness
American Night
The Lords and The New Creatures
Riders Of The Storm
The Lizard King/The Essential Jim Morrison
The Doors Companion
Angels Dance/Angels Die
The Doors Illustrated History
have
Wild Child
haven't read it .
So, like read all this

#8 *~adrienne~*

*~adrienne~*

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • Interests:Sirius XMU, books on bands from the late 60s/70s & non-fiction, Netflix (mostly horror films in my queue), art galleries, concerts, coffee, sugar free red bull and any combination of chocolate and peanut butter.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:45 AM

I'm still reading "My Cross to Bear" with Alan Light by Gregg Allmann...
"Instant gratification takes too long!"
-Carrie Fisher

#9 StupidGirl

StupidGirl

• Banned
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:59 AM

ignore me this time of nite, so, you're readin' about greg allman? I have this rule of thumb to give away what I want... so gave away a present of keith richards... that's next on my list...*btw, what's your fav horror movie?* I love all scary stuff...but only with popcorn & raisinets...

#10 *~adrienne~*

*~adrienne~*

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • Interests:Sirius XMU, books on bands from the late 60s/70s & non-fiction, Netflix (mostly horror films in my queue), art galleries, concerts, coffee, sugar free red bull and any combination of chocolate and peanut butter.

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

i have a habit of reading books but not finishing them...such is the case w/this book...scariest movie i've ever seen..."last house on the left" the 70s version...omg that kept me up...just saw "paranormal activity 4" which wasn't the scariest movie i've ever seen or anything but worth a watch....i think "paranormal activity 3" was a lot scarier though...to me at least...
"Instant gratification takes too long!"
-Carrie Fisher

#11 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts
  • Interests:European History, Riding horses, Poetry, listening to the Wind

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

k, hold on, I type slow...*not to mention, smoke,drink & cuzz while I'm typin'*

I have read all of the following except one:
Light My Fire
Break On Through
No One Get Out Alive
Wilderness
American Night
The Lords and The New Creatures
Riders Of The Storm
The Lizard King/The Essential Jim Morrison
The Doors Companion
Angels Dance/Angels Die
The Doors Illustrated History
have
Wild Child
haven't read it .
So, like read all this

Hey there S, Feast of Friends by Frank Lisciandro is one of the best books to read about Jim. These are all commentaries by people who knew Jim.
HE COURTED DEATH LIKE IT WAS A DARK ELUSIVE SWEETHEART

#12 StupidGirl

StupidGirl

• Banned
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:52 AM

i have a habit of reading books but not finishing them...such is the case w/this book...scariest movie i've ever seen..."last house on the left" the 70s version...omg that kept me up...just saw "paranormal activity 4" which wasn't the scariest movie i've ever seen or anything but worth a watch....i think "paranormal activity 3" was a lot scarier though...to me at least...

I have that habit sometimes too... Jim Wooten's book 'we are all the same' I couldn't read 'till the end cuz i knew it was gonna go bad... my fav scary movie? "the fog" something about those damn ghosts...

#13 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

Every Doors fan back in the day started with NOHGOA. It was really the only book out there. I think the band members books are the best. I've read the Davis book, the Butler book, tons of articles, web pages all related to Jim and The Doors. I like to read the stories of the people who knew Jim, not speculation. I'm picky with my reading!
The future's uncertain
And the end is always near.

#14 the_manassa_mauler_1919-'26

the_manassa_mauler_1919-'26

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

anyone here read, Some Are Born To Endless Night: Jim Morrison, Visions of Apocalypse and Transcendence by Gerry Kirstein??? ... is it credible & worth the read?

#15 Alexander

Alexander

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

anyone here read, Some Are Born To Endless Night: Jim Morrison, Visions of Apocalypse and Transcendence by Gerry Kirstein??? ... is it credible & worth the read?

I'm guessing anyone writing as Jim Morrison is going to be terrible and completely unreliable. I wouldn't bother haha.

#16 Alexander

Alexander

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

Ahh what a shame about Jakob. I read the snippets on Amazon. He sounds like a good guy.

Yeah Jakob's book is pretty good. He's the guy who roof Morrison slept on during the summer before The Doors, for those that don't know. Over the summer Morrison wrote a lot of songs and poems, and it was one of those prolific, metamorphic events in the life of an artist, he kind of became Jim Morrison. Jakob includes alot of conversations which he had with Morrison, which are really interesting, but you can tell Jakob tries to make himself seem slightly superior, not necessarily in intelligence but in their relationship. But the book is great, I just wish there was more in it. Jakob actually has a page from one of the notebooks that Morrison burned before he joined The Doors. It's not in the book unfortunately, but he does quote it. I'd definitely read that and The Lizard King was Here, I wouldn't waste my time with all the numerous biographies which are almost identical in their content and the way in which they falsely assume things and incorrectly analyze Morrison.

My idea is to take every single interview that Morrison gave and transcribe and publish them. There's a few cool ones in the Illustrated History, but not enough. He gave a lot of good ones in Europe but they've never been transcribed. Morrison also has a lot of unpublished journals which Stephen Davis refers to in his book [which contains very sketchy "research"]. THOSE should be published. Franz Kafka's journals were published, and that's what inspired Morrison to keep an active journal. From what I can tell, his journals contain a lot of maxims and observations like The Lords and the New Creatures. It's hard to believe that a guy who was so prolific a lyricist and so active a poet wouldn't have written more than what's been published already. It's a fairly small collection of writing.

But anyways, Jakob and Opsasnick's books are definitely worth buying, they give better insight into Morrison than No One Here Gets Out Alive.

#17 mina

mina

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

My idea is to take every single interview that Morrison gave and transcribe and publish them. There's a few cool ones in the Illustrated History, but not enough. He gave a lot of good ones in Europe but they've never been transcribed. Morrison also has a lot of unpublished journals which Stephen Davis refers to in his book [which contains very sketchy "research"]. THOSE should be published.

You got my support on that! An exceptionally good idea to publish all the interviews in the same covers. I've found it hard to search for the interviews from different sources. That's why I've read only few and actually I've thought about the same thing as well. Good luck with this one! :)

I'd love to read those journals. Are they too personal, so the family thinks to keep them as private? or the family wants to have something of Jim for themselves only?

I've been thinking about the homemovies Jim and Pam made during Jim's last months.. Something I'd love to see! I guess that is too big dream to dream of.

#18 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

I'm guessing anyone writing as Jim Morrison is going to be terrible and completely unreliable. I wouldn't bother haha.

He's not writing as Jim Morrison. He's writing about Jim's art and influences and how his art relates to issues and themes of the '60s and beyond. It sounds interesting. It's a digital only book. I have a Kindle, but I'm not willing to pay $12.95 for a digital book.

Edited by Encuentro, 30 November 2012 - 10:27 PM.

#19 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts
  • Interests:European History, Riding horses, Poetry, listening to the Wind

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:33 PM

Yeah Jakob's book is pretty good. He's the guy who roof Morrison slept on during the summer before The Doors, for those that don't know. Over the summer Morrison wrote a lot of songs and poems, and it was one of those prolific, metamorphic events in the life of an artist, he kind of became Jim Morrison. Jakob includes alot of conversations which he had with Morrison, which are really interesting, but you can tell Jakob tries to make himself seem slightly superior, not necessarily in intelligence but in their relationship. But the book is great, I just wish there was more in it. Jakob actually has a page from one of the notebooks that Morrison burned before he joined The Doors. It's not in the book unfortunately, but he does quote it. I'd definitely read that and The Lizard King was Here, I wouldn't waste my time with all the numerous biographies which are almost identical in their content and the way in which they falsely assume things and incorrectly analyze Morrison.

My idea is to take every single interview that Morrison gave and transcribe and publish them. There's a few cool ones in the Illustrated History, but not enough. He gave a lot of good ones in Europe but they've never been transcribed. Morrison also has a lot of unpublished journals which Stephen Davis refers to in his book [which contains very sketchy "research"]. THOSE should be published. Franz Kafka's journals were published, and that's what inspired Morrison to keep an active journal. From what I can tell, his journals contain a lot of maxims and observations like The Lords and the New Creatures. It's hard to believe that a guy who was so prolific a lyricist and so active a poet wouldn't have written more than what's been published already. It's a fairly small collection of writing.

But anyways, Jakob and Opsasnick's books are definitely worth buying, they give better insight into Morrison than No One Here Gets Out Alive.

Quote: It's hard to believe that a guy who was so prolific a lyricist and so active a poet wouldn't have written more than what's been published already. It's a fairly small collection of writing. quote

Alexander, the Courson's apparently inherited some of his poetry that has not been released. And why it hasn't been released is anyone's guess.
HE COURTED DEATH LIKE IT WAS A DARK ELUSIVE SWEETHEART

#20 flashing bliss

flashing bliss

FB

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:44 PM

Good Post.
Re. the slightly superior take, I can actually see Jim doing the apprentice bit and taking in what he could from a well read and more skilled colleague.

I really enjoyed the Opsasnick one... full of enjoyable recollections and anecdotes from a short period a long time ago.

You'd think Davis would be the last to get personal access to journals or was he just quoting someone else who has?
Flash

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users