Photo

I don't want this forum to end...

196 replies to this topic

#1 *~adrienne~*

*~adrienne~*

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • Interests:Sirius XMU, books on bands from the late 60s/70s & non-fiction, Netflix (mostly horror films in my queue), art galleries, concerts, coffee, sugar free red bull and any combination of chocolate and peanut butter.

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:31 AM

I want us all to keepn in touch...some more than others LOL...but still...I'll be really sad if I try to log-in here one day and I can't...
"Instant gratification takes too long!"
-Carrie Fisher

#2 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts
  • Interests:Politics; History (Medieval English, Victorian English and American, esp. William Bonney/Lincoln County War); Permaculture; Mexican and Moroccan Folk Art and Vernacular Architecture

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

I want us all to keepn in touch...some more than others LOL...but still...I'll be really sad if I try to log-in here one day and I can't...

I'm with you, Adri, but remember that Dave promised (at least I think he promised) that as long as we keep this board active and vital, it will stay.

Incidentally, I've been checking the "Community" forum on the new Doors' website, and it's nothing like this. Only a couple of people from this board have registered and are posting there (unless some are doing it under new screennames?) and there are no real discussions, no separate forums for different topics, etc. Also, the people posting there seem to be very, very young for the most part, and none of them seem to be aware of this site. My guess is that they have mostly migrated from The Doors' Facebook page.

I'm afraid there's going to be a lot of valuable information lost if we lose this site, information and comments from people who were around back in the day and who knew Jim and other musicians/personalities from the late 60s/early 70s to one degree or another, people like Salli Stevenson, Sally Stevens (Mews), Candice Evans (Tex), Psychic Linda, Annie M. and even yours truly.

OTOH I'm very happy to see the many, many photographs of The Doors collectively and Jim individually, as well as the enormous (and still growing) library of Doors/Jim articles and other items, but once you've spent a few hours prowling through those there doesn't seem to be much else to hold one's interest for very long. Aside from checking back from time to time to see what's new, I can't see spending a lot of time on the new site.
I still believe in the Cosmic Giggle, even if Rolling Stone doesn't any more.

#3 Hamlet

Hamlet

• Members
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

The board is active max. one more month.

The new Doors.com/forum is more twitter-like.

I can´t be bothered.

By now you should have received a chain-mail.
we´s just joy-ridin´

#4 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

I'm under the same screen name in both forums. I check in once a day to see what's new. I actually have people "following" me! As if I am important! I meant that sarcastically!

It has its moments with fans. Lots of drawings of Jim and hero worship. I get the hero worship, but not the drawings. I did that when I was in middle school. Anyhoo, it does have vast amounts as Miz stated above of pics, articles, etc. So it is worth checking out.

I'm okay if this closes. I think there are only like 12 of us who post consistently. It is life, all good things come to an end. As long as the board gets archived for future reading I'm okay with it.

And no, I didn't get the chain mail email. :wacko:
The future's uncertain
And the end is always near.

#5 Hamlet

Hamlet

• Members
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:51 PM

Let me ask about the chainmail. When did you start to post herr?
we´s just joy-ridin´

#6 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:55 PM

I've been on here since Sept. 2006. It's okay if I don't get it, I'm not upset or anything. So it's no biggie! :D
The future's uncertain

#7 Hamlet

Hamlet

• Members
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

Ok
we´s just joy-ridin´

#8 first statue

first statue

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

I've also been checking the new Doors web site including "Community" section there. I feel sorry that I have to say this but it's a complete CRAP. It is particularly the Community section that really sucks. As if it is designed by myself and I have zero knowledge for web design. I wan to say to Mr. Unknown who made that "get yourself a real job" man! I wonder what kind of discussion can really be developed over there as it's more like Mc Donalds, drop by, get the burger and Coca Cola and get out, do not even bother to sit.

I think I know why this change is all about, you see that Store section over there, the whole idea of a new site is nothing but to get as less focused on our own stuff and more to "start purchasing The Doors products". It's all about money with the new site. Money money money!

#9 first statue

first statue

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:21 PM

What's the chainmail, I don't get it?

#10 Alexander

Alexander

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:39 PM

The new community is full of people who aren't as intelligent Doors-wise [and I'm just generalizing], so the conversations aren't as good as they are here. It's a real shame. Why couldn't the Doors have revamped this forum and promoted it as a new community rather than creating an imitation twittershpere? Discussions can't function in that medium, they can't go in-depth. That community is good for little soundbites of info, but threads don't bump up if people comment on it, so after awhile I'd imagine it'd become extremely difficult to find threads and continue their conversations. It's a real shame. I doubt this forum will get any new members because everyone now considers that community to be the penultimate Doors forum.... really a shame.

#11 jlo

jlo

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:00 PM

i think that the new community is geared toward those who embrace twitter...the 140 something character statement.

in all honesty, i thought i would give the new place a fair chance. but it's mostly mundane chit-chat. i know that sounds snobby, and i don't mean it that way, but so far i haven't come across anything new. and, i feel like if you do comment it gets lost in the long thread of posts. i don't think i have anything to add.

i saw that queenhwy posted something about barney's beanery that would have gotten a conversation started here. but there it was a stand-alone statement.

if this place goes away, it will be too bad. but, i have made some good friends here, and hopefully, we can keep in touch by other means.
...no time to wallow in the mire...

#12 flashing bliss

flashing bliss

FB

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

Hi Statue, chainmail is medieval armour:-

Posted Image

But I think he's referring to a chain-email which no one else here has claimed to have received even though Hamlet has said it's been circulation several weeks. It may be a joke.
Flash

#13 first statue

first statue

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:13 PM

Posted Image

But I think he's referring to a chain-email which no one else here has claimed to have received even though Hamlet has said it's been circulation several weeks. It may be a joke.

Ok it's an armour, thanks. But still don't get it what it is all about with receiving of that chain e-mail?

#14 jlo

jlo

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:34 PM

Posted Image

hey flashing bliss, you better watch out, jim likes dachshunds! he took peppie out for a spin in the blue lady! (i posted a picture of them together in some other thread -- you know, they were good friends and i posted the picture to prove it :o)

i think the chain email is all in hamlet's head. or maybe it's the chainmail that's in hamlet's head -- i forget...

#15 flashing bliss

flashing bliss

FB

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:10 PM

hey flashing bliss, you better watch out, jim likes dachshunds! he took peppie out for a spin in the blue lady! (i posted a picture of them together in some other thread -- you know, they were good friends and i posted the picture to prove it :o)

i think the chain email is all in hamlet's head. or maybe it's the chainmail that's in hamlet's head -- i forget...

Oh, I know J, I get so mixed up with all these fanciful chaingangs wafting about. Anyway, I hope Sage wasn't jealous and you had a phantastic imaginary slap up meal at Barney's Beanery. :D
Flash

#16 jlo

jlo

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

Oh, I know J, I get so mixed up with all these fanciful chaingangs wafting about. Anyway, I hope Sage wasn't jealous and you had a phantastic imaginary slap up meal at Barney's Beanery. :D

peppie says that sage was no where to be found that day. and she also said that jim wanted hot dogs but peppie objected...

#17 flashing bliss

flashing bliss

FB

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:54 PM

Well, I wouldn't want one either - the chainmail gets in your teeth.
Flash

#18 jlo

jlo

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:11 AM

Well, I wouldn't want one either - the chainmail gets in your teeth.

thus, your signature... :)

#19 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:45 AM

What's the chainmail, I don't get it?

Hamlet said that certain members of this board would be hand picked for an email address list/email, so people could keep
in touch in case this board went away. I guess it's for certain members only by invitation only.

I'm ok with not being asked. It's not a big deal to me. C'est le vie!
The future's uncertain

#20 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts
  • Interests:Politics; History (Medieval English, Victorian English and American, esp. William Bonney/Lincoln County War); Permaculture; Mexican and Moroccan Folk Art and Vernacular Architecture

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

i think that the new community is geared toward those who embrace twitter...the 140 something character statement.

in all honesty, i thought i would give the new place a fair chance. but it's mostly mundane chit-chat. i know that sounds snobby, and i don't mean it that way, but so far i haven't come across anything new. and, i feel like if you do comment it gets lost in the long thread of posts. i don't think i have anything to add.

i saw that queenhwy posted something about barney's beanery that would have gotten a conversation started here. but there it was a stand-alone statement.

if this place goes away, it will be too bad. but, i have made some good friends here, and hopefully, we can keep in touch by other means.

Since the distaste for the format of the new board seems to be unanimous so far, I keep hoping they'll reconsider and maybe link to this board from the new site, or incorporate it into the new site some way...
I still believe in the Cosmic Giggle, even if Rolling Stone doesn't any more.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users