Photo

Come on baby light my fire...

77 replies to this topic

#1 mina

mina

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

I guess this question is meant for those who were there when LMF was out and it was played for the first times in the radio. My question is; what were you thinking about the lyrics and when you heard the word 'higher', meaning stoned? Were you gasping your breath, "how he dared"?? Ed Sullivan was not okay with the word 'higher'. How come the word 'higher' was played in the radio, if it could not have been played in the television?

#2 Hamlet

Hamlet

• Members
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

USA was always the land of double standards!

Hoover, head of the FBI, fighting civil rights, including gay rights, was übergay himself.

Look at the gun violence in America, 25.000 dead every year. But the country is supposed to be a christian country. "I swear by the bible..." and so on.

Sullivan always made sure he didn´t have any subversives on the program, heavy censorship was enforced. The Doors were just one of many examples.
we´s just joy-ridin´

#3 mina

mina

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

Dictatorship in TV... "I'm a dic, I'm a dic, I'm a dictator of the free world" ;D I don't think USA is the only country of double standards. It's the whole world, with good and bad, black and white, yin and yang... But in the end, we're all ONE. :)

#4 manhime

manhime

• Members
  • 890 posts
  • Interests:Peppermint Girl's

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:03 PM

I used to think he mean the relation ship to the next level (higher)

#5 kid

kid

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:Smart Women. Twilight. Astronomy, History, the mountains , the ocean,. Adventure in the moons glow, Mythology

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:32 PM

Just something they wouldnt allow on tv (higher) glad he broke the rule. As far as the song, i thought it was like a love or relationship to the max, maybe sex. Most likly ( Bliss ) of two people. Nothing to do with drugs , like tv's thinking. I awoke to the doors with this song ,1967, great year in life.

#6 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:12 AM

It wasn't really a television rule. It was just a preference of Ed Sullivan. Other shows allowed it in the same year: Jonathan Winters and Murray the K.

#7 manhime

manhime

• Members
  • 890 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:29 AM

It wasn't really a television rule. It was just a preference of Ed Sullivan. Other shows allowed it in the same year: Jonathan Winters and Murray the K.

Actually ED let the Sly and the family Stone use the same word in the same year. It was a double standard.
Gonna Take U Higher

Sly & The Family Stone on The Ed Sullivan Show on March 23, 1969.

Edited by manhime, 10 April 2013 - 01:06 AM.

#8 mina

mina

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:28 AM

yeah, there is a double meaning, taking the relationship to the next level and being stoned, but I always liked to think stoned.

#9 mina

mina

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:35 AM

Just something they wouldnt allow on tv (higher) glad he broke the rule. As far as the song, i thought it was like a love or relationship to the max, maybe sex. Most likly ( Bliss ) of two people. Nothing to do with drugs , like tv's thinking. I awoke to the doors with this song ,1967, great year in life.

"girl we couldn't get much higher" It's like being stoned or having orgasm. I guess both of the meanings were like a big NO back in the days. Wonder what Sullivan thought about it, orgasm or stoned...

#10 TheDoorsMusic

TheDoorsMusic

• Members
  • 868 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:15 AM

KHJ Radio from back in the day.

Posted Image

Edited by TheDoorsMusic, 10 April 2013 - 01:06 PM.

Racing through the trees of the night.

#11 flashing bliss

flashing bliss

FB

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

So, freedom only reigns if you have the right to bear arms. Discuss.
Flash

#12 manhime

manhime

• Members
  • 890 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

yeah, there is a double meaning, taking the relationship to the next level and being stoned, but I always liked to think stoned.

My point was ED allowed Sly and the family stone to sing Gonna Take U Higher. In the same year. How is that not a double standard.

lyrics to I Wanna Take You Higher :
Beat is getting stronger,
feel it getting stronger
Sound is getting longer, too
Music is a thought to me

I want to, I want to
I wanna take you higher (take you higher)
Baby, baby, baby, light my fire (light my fire)
I wanna take you higher (take you higher) Whoo!

Beat is nitty gritty, feel it nitty gritty
Sound is in your city, too
Music's been a thought to me

Don't you, don't you, don't, don't
Don't you wanna get higher (take you higher)

Boom shaka-laka-laka!
Boom shaka-laka-laka!
Boom shaka-laka-laka!

Edited by manhime, 10 April 2013 - 01:42 PM.

#13 mina

mina

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

My point was ED allowed Sly and the family stone to sing Gonna Take U Higher. In the same year. How is that not a double standard.

yrics to I Wanna Take You Higher :
Beat is getting stronger,
feel it getting stronger
Sound is getting longer, too
Music is a thought to me

I want to, I want to
I wanna take you higher (take you higher) Whoo!

Beat is nitty gritty, feel it nitty gritty
Sound is in your city, too
Music's been a thought to me

Don't you, don't you, don't, don't

Boom shaka-laka-laka!
Boom shaka-laka-laka!
Boom shaka-laka-laka!

Really!!!! maybe I got the point now. Wow, maybe Jim just changed the whole thing and Ed allowed more after their performance?!? But I'm now confused, are the lyrics "girl we couldn't get much higher" meaning sex or stoned or what? I start to sound stupid... *edit* :wacko:

Edited by mina, 10 April 2013 - 02:00 PM.

#14 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts
  • Interests:European History, Riding horses, Poetry, listening to the Wind

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

I feel the word "higher" was left open to interpretation. But when I was with my friends in college we all assumed it was a drug inferred.

I know for a fact that Jim like words or phrases to not go by one standard.

Do any of you remember the Rolling Stones on Ed Sullivan, singing Let's Spend The Night Together? They too were told not to sing "spend the night together", but to change it to "spend some time together". And Mick did as he was told, and while singing "spend some time together" he was looking into the camera and rolling his eyes.

Also, a few of years ago, PBS was playing the best of Ed Sullivan and back to back were the Rolling Stones along with the Doors. The Rolling Stones were played first then the Doors. I just never realized until watching them back to back how very ...hmmmm...almost amateurish Mick Jagger was as a performer compared to Jim. Mick was waving his hands around in an rather effeminate manner.....like he didn't know what to do with himself. Now I loved the Rolling Stones and I still love their music. So, this is not a put down but just an observation. Being a teenager I never noticed Mick as an unrefined performer. But after the Doors came on it was startlingly noticeable. Really, up until that time and with all of the groups on TV on various shows, no one came out and looked/sound/or performed like Jim. No one else ever wore black leather in 1967 or even before that I can recall. The Doors just didn't stand out they LEAPED out!
HE COURTED DEATH LIKE IT WAS A DARK ELUSIVE SWEETHEART

#15 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:48 PM

KHJ Radio from back in the day.

Posted Image

Thank you TheDoorsMusic,

How interesting to see what was played in LA in June of 1967.......there it is no. 1.

When I went to the Monterey Pop Festival, and walked to my motel room or to the diner to eat, LMF was played constantly over car radios. Even to this day when I think about Monterey, I remember LMF more then anything else I heard....it was played so much. It was the anthem song of that summer.

When I came back home, I told my mother that I could not live in Dallas any longer, I was suffocated by Dallas' insistence of small town mediocrity. And by June of 1968, I was living in Southern California. I was so very grateful and thankful for the turn of events. I literally left one world and came to another, or maybe even a new universe. I was floating with joy and reverence to be in this new land!

#16 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

I feel the word "higher" was left open to interpretation. But when I was with my friends in college we all assumed it was a drug inferred.

Do any of you remember the Rolling Stones on Ed Sullivan, singing Let's Spend The Night Together? They too were told not to sing "spend the night together", but to change it to "spend some time together". And Mick did as he was told, and while singing "spend some time together" he was looking into the camera and rolling his eyes.

Also, a few of years ago, PBS was playing the best of Ed Sullivan and back to back were the Rolling Stones along with the Doors. The Rolling Stones were played first then the Doors. I just never realized until watching them back to back how very ...hmmmm...almost amateurish Mick Jagger was as a performer compared to Jim. Mick was waving his hands around in an rather effeminate manner.....like he didn't know what to do with himself. Now I loved the Rolling Stones and I still love their music. So, this is not a put down but just an observation. Being a teenager I never noticed Mick as an unrefined performer. But after the Doors came on it was startlingly noticeable. Really, up until that time and with all of the groups on TV on various shows, no one came out and looked/sound/or performed like Jim. No one else ever wore black leather in 1967 or even before that I can recall. The Doors just didn't stand out they LEAPED out!

PBS still plays the Ed Sullivan infomercial/best of show. It is fun to watch. My Mom said she watched it all the time.

And I agree with you about Mick Jagger. I thought Jim had sex appeal, the others didn't. Only Elvis comes to mind. Not anyone to this day comes close! Jim had all the arrests to make his image as a "bad boy." And a few other things too!
The future's uncertain
And the end is always near.

#17 Hamlet

Hamlet

• Members
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

It was Robby, who penned the word "higher"!- Not Jim.
we´s just joy-ridin´

#18 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:59 PM

It was Robby, who penned the word "higher"!- Not Jim.

I know too that it was Robby who wrote LMF.....that is pretty well known for any Doors fan. But my allusion was toward Jim who sang LMF.

Edited by Texasky, 10 April 2013 - 05:02 PM.

#19 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

Jim penned the funeral pyre part, and Robbie in several interviews was like why do you come up with this morbid stuff. Not an exact quote, but you all get the point!
The future's uncertain
And the end is always near.

#20 manhime

manhime

• Members
  • 890 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:14 PM

I saw a video with GRACE from the Jefferson Airplane. She said many lead singers would act emotion on the stage. It looked silly and she laughed at them. She said Jim was all real emotion. He was not a poser.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users