Photo

New "Jomo" Investigation Unravels The Myth

43 replies to this topic

#21 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:39 PM

Sometimes people get sick of the focus being on someone else (this being Jim Morrison) and not on the person right there! All the work he does, poems, his life and all everyone talks about is Jim, Jim, Jim! I'm sure it is annoying as hell. But then on the other hand, and I'm not saying this is Mr. McClure at all, when they get paid to talk in interviews or documentaries their tune changes.

I enjoyed him on the L.A. Woman album DVD. He was soft spoken and I like what he had to say.

Some Jim fans are very brash. Maybe you ask about Michael McClure a question, then weasel a Jim one in.

Some celebs forget the hand that feeds them (again, I'm generalizing, not talking about McClure)
The future's uncertain
And the end is always near.

#22 lizard_jim

lizard_jim

• Registered Users
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:The Doors!

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

Congratulations to the leading Doors researcher Len Sousa for his recent investigation into the myth of the "Jomo and the Smoothies" sessions (aka Jim's so-called "last recording session"). And now with the confirmation of just who one of the participants is, we can finally put this one to bed.

Len does a fantastic job of tracking down leads and pinpointing exactly WHEN this false story began and how it was expanded upon by different writers.....

I won't spoil the surprise.....great read

WOW!

thank you very much for posting

I didnt even know that site exists!!

Yesterday I spent a lot of time reading other stuff, completely off topic and Im sorry for asking this (too lazy to open a new thread) but what other sites like this do you guys could recomend?

#23 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:02 PM

Did you read his research on the brown leather pants? The Hard Rock franchise owns them now. Wow! Quite awesome! I saw the pants in the 90's at the HR in Boston.

It is a cool site. I'm going to explore it some more!
The future's uncertain

#24 rokritr

rokritr

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:17 AM

Agreed.....Len Sousa is definitely the top Doors researcher around today.....AND a very cool guy.

He worked with Jac Holzman on the Just-Released Doors App......putting together hundreds of items in the Timeline section.

We're lucky he's around....... :)

#25 manhime

manhime

• Members
  • 890 posts
  • Interests:Peppermint Girl's

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:27 AM

Agreed.....Len Sousa is definitely the top Doors researcher around today.....AND a very cool guy.

He worked with Jac Holzman on the Just-Released Doors App......putting together hundreds of items in the Timeline section.

Sounds like your on his payroll lol

.Len Sousa is definitely the top Doors researcher around today..

Based on who's opinion?

Edited by manhime, 08 May 2013 - 12:34 AM.

#26 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:45 AM

I just got the app email. I'm sure you already know this, but for those who don't, he also is credited on the Doors Hollywood Bowl release.

I am thrilled to have anyone clear up the JM myths! :)
The future's uncertain

#27 lizard_jim

lizard_jim

• Registered Users
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:The Doors!

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:02 AM

Did you read his research on the brown leather pants? The Hard Rock franchise owns them now. Wow! Quite awesome! I saw the pants in the 90's at the HR in Boston.

It is a cool site. I'm going to explore it some more!

yeah pretty cool

you know Queen Im kinda obsessed with the recording dates so I jumped immediately to the "studio sessions" but in the most cases theres not exactly dates but still its fantastic to know new info about the recordings

#28 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:53 AM

yeah pretty cool

you know Queen Im kinda obsessed with the recording dates so I jumped immediately to the "studio sessions" but in the most cases theres not exactly dates but still its fantastic to know new info about the recordings

I haven't read the studio sessions yet. It's on my to-do list!

Any good info new or old regarding the Doors or Jim is awesome! :)
The future's uncertain

#29 manhime

manhime

• Members
  • 890 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:13 AM

I just got the app email. I'm sure you already know this, but for those who don't, he also is credited on the Doors Hollywood Bowl release.

I am thrilled to have anyone clear up the JM myths! :)

We don't know that yet ^_^

#30 rokritr

rokritr

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:46 AM

Sounds like your on his payroll lol

.Len Sousa is definitely the top Doors researcher around today..

Based on who's opinion?

Manhime, you're really just being a jerk now.

Len has dedicated himself to figuring out dates, photos, and, yes, investigating stories and events, all to the benefit of fans.

What have you done other than just repeat things you've read and deny facts that have been brought to light.

I was among the many hard-core Doors fans who knew the story about "Jomo" was a joke, especially hearing Rothchild's voice at the beginning of the tape. So it's never been a question to me and most others fans. The Moddemann story never made sense.

Did I know it was McClure, no. Did I ever try to find out, no. Because among the people who felt the story was bs, it was never really a question.

But Len took it upon himself to do some research recently. And, while, yes, McClure has not commented about the "Jomo" stuff, but he did get confirmation from Lisciandro that both Rothchild and McClure are on the tapes (and he would know since he KNEW both of them very well).

And yet you choose to ignore that fact ("How would Frank know?" Well, how about because he was friends with all of the parties involved, how about that for an answer?).

And furthermore you ignore all the other evidence, and instead you make the leap that Jim met two buskers on the streets of Paris; one of whom who JUST HAPPENED to have an autoharp handy (hardly a common instrument) that he brought into the studio (a rare instrument that just happened to be the one instrument that Jim’s good friend, Michael McClure, traveled around with all the time).

Also, one of these buskers is so friendly with Jim that he's talking over him.....and, oh yeah, there's Rothchild on the tape as well. Oh yeah, and the tape boxes are also the standard tapes used at Elektra Studios.....

You continue to ask, "Why would Jim have that tape in Paris?" As if the only explanation is that it means he recorded it in Paris. That tape was with his other tape of one of his professionally recorded poetry sessions (recorded before he went to Paris), but you’re not making the assumption that this other tape must have been recorded in Paris…..why’s that?

As I already stated before, Jim had both of his films with him in Paris, and he also brought many notebooks/journals with him to Paris, and also had his leather satchel filled with more notebooks sent over to Paris once he was there. Jim could have had other tapes with him as well, it’s really a non-issue.

Instead you choose to believe a story of dubious origins that appeared out of thin air in 1993; a story that changed and evolved over the next decade as it was being auctioned and sold. But it still rings true to you even though there is NOT ONE SHRED OF EVIDENCE to back it up. NONE, ZERO, NADA.

But we do have evidence—including testimony from one of Jim’s closest friends who identifies the voices on the tape—that this session was recorded in L.A. in 1969.

I guess you’re just like an OJ juror who will just deny the evidence because you just don’t want to believe.

As for Len, I think we’ve emailed each other a few times over the years and spoke on the phone one time recently, but I’ve followed his online work on message boards and other such places over the past dozen years or so, and the guy definitely knows his stuff when it comes to Doors history, which is why even the Doors themselves have consulted with him over the years. So how about the Doors themselves being people who say so...

Len’s a nice guy and would never do what I’m doing now—argue on a public forum with someone who’s showing more and more that he’s just an online troll. And I don’t know why I’m even doing it, but I will say that Len doesn’t deserve any bullshit comments from someone like you.

By you, I mean a person who anonymously sits back behind the safety of a computer screen and passes judgment on people (like Len and myself)—who do use their real names—and who have uncovered and shared information about Jim Morrison and the Doors for more than 10 years both in print and on forums like this (LONG before you first appeared on this forum a year ago and started in as some sort of expert, while continually dismissing those of us who have helped in our own little ways to reveal information to Doors fans which they would never have otherwise gotten).

Edited by rokritr, 08 May 2013 - 04:16 AM.

#31 manhime

manhime

• Members
  • 890 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

Calling people names. Does not make your point.

Please get Mr. McClure's statement on the matter. If he states that was him on the tape, I will apologize. I will never bring this up again. Until then. It is far reaching at best. You can me a troll? LOL funny. Just because I am not a sheep and do not want to swallow your koolaid.

Show me where I ever said I was an expert?

Edited by manhime, 08 May 2013 - 09:56 PM.

#32 mina

mina

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

"Lost Paris, Recorded L.A. tapes". Those tapes did not have a glue where they were.. born in L.A. and with an awareness of tapes.. Totally lost! I bet Jim was not helping at all! It would be much more nice and romantic, if those tapes were originally from Paris.. I don't think Jim would have used an unfamiliar studio in Paris when he would be wasted and bring other drunken guys there too and play some s#it music there. It would have been embarrassing even for Jim and unrespectful in a foreign country...

#33 *~adrienne~*

*~adrienne~*

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • Interests:Sirius XMU, books on bands from the late 60s/70s & non-fiction, Netflix (mostly horror films in my queue), art galleries, concerts, coffee, sugar free red bull and any combination of chocolate and peanut butter.

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:05 AM

rokritr...for the record I have always immensely enjoyed your posts I know you know frank and have interviewed him and you are the real deal and I am so grateful people like you stick around otherwise we'd be left with fucktards who shall remain nameless that just have diarrhea of the mouth...it's fine to ask questions but give me a break obviously you know what you're talking about and other people on this forum really appreciate the time you take to post...fucktard on the other hand...not so much! :)

queenhwy yup I saw jim's pants at the hr in boston too...claredon street I believe...wasn't as cool as I thought it'd be...kinda wished jim was in the pants lol...sometimes it's just hard to believe we'll never get to see him again...

and when I met john there was NO WAY IN HELL I was going to ask him one single jim question...I couldn't...I mean...i'm a fan but i'm also respectful and considerate...it just didn't feel right to do that you know? I was just happy to meet him and that was enough for me.

Edited by *~adrienne~*, 07 June 2013 - 06:06 AM.

"Instant gratification takes too long!"
-Carrie Fisher

#34 StupidGirl

StupidGirl

• Banned
  • 2,835 posts
  • Interests:the truth...for it can be adjusted.....

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:30 AM

this time of night ... i just be trollin'... so , what the fuvk are you argueing about?he said?she said?which one of you were really there?

#35 StupidGirl

StupidGirl

• Banned
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:32 AM

none of you?

#36 manhime

manhime

• Members
  • 890 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

"Lost Paris, Recorded L.A. tapes". Those tapes did not have a glue where they were.. born in L.A. and with an awareness of tapes.. Totally lost! I bet Jim was not helping at all! It would be much more nice and romantic, if those tapes were originally from Paris.. I don't think Jim would have used an unfamiliar studio in Paris when he would be wasted and bring other drunken guys there too and play some s#it music there. It would have been embarrassing even for Jim and unrespectful in a foreign country...

The favorite past time in Paris is walking. I have done it many times. You just randomly walk. Amazing what you can find. It is completely plausible that Jim found a small recording studio during his walks

#37 rokritr

rokritr

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:57 AM

Manhime,

You've got your wish.

Len Sousa was able to get in touch with Michael McClure, who confirms what we already knew from Frank Lisiciandro, that the Jomo sessions was Jim and McClure in L.A. The only question now is the year, although McClure says that it might have even been EARLIER than '69, as many of us believe it to be.

Either way, the mystery is fully solved by Len's great research and work, and shows that Rainer was a scam artist......and the one who fabricated the entire false story about the so-called "final recording session in Paris"

Here's Len's addition to the original article:

MICHAEL McCLURE RESPONDS

In July 2013, I was finally able to get in touch with Michael McClure and sent him a copy of the "Jomo And The Smoothies" recording to listen to for the first time. McClure confirmed that it is indeed his voice on the tape and that he and Morrison are clearly drunk, but unfortunately, he did not know who the third person might be and had no specific memory of the session:

"That is Jim and I and we are drunk (at the least) and your dating may be correct or it might be a year or so earlier. I don't remember doing the recording but that is not at all unusual considering our usual condition."

McClure went on to suggest reading his play "The Meat Ball" (published in 1971's Gargoyle Cartoons) for what he called "a near accurate portrayal" of what he and Jim were like while intoxicated.

http://www.thedoorsg...paristapes.html

Edited by rokritr, 26 August 2013 - 05:11 AM.

#38 StupidGirl

StupidGirl

• Banned
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:25 AM

rock writer, you got drunk with Morrison?

#39 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:01 AM

Manhime,

You've got your wish.

Len Sousa was able to get in touch with Michael McClure, who confirms what we already knew from Frank Lisiciandro, that the Jomo sessions was Jim and McClure in L.A. The only question now is the year, although McClure says that it might have even been EARLIER than '69, as many of us believe it to be.

Either way, the mystery is fully solved by Len's great research and work, and shows that Rainer was a scam artist......and the one who fabricated the entire false story about the so-called "final recording session in Paris"

MICHAEL McCLURE RESPONDS

In July 2013, I was finally able to get in touch with Michael McClure and sent him a copy of the "Jomo And The Smoothies" recording to listen to for the first time. McClure confirmed that it is indeed his voice on the tape and that he and Morrison are clearly drunk, but unfortunately, he did not know who the third person might be and had no specific memory of the session:

"That is Jim and I and we are drunk (at the least) and your dating may be correct or it might be a year or so earlier. I don't remember doing the recording but that is not at all unusual considering our usual condition."

McClure went on to suggest reading his play "The Meat Ball" (published in 1971's Gargoyle Cartoons) for what he called "a near accurate portrayal" of what he and Jim were like while intoxicated.

Thanks for the update! I knew the "Paris" tapes were not as they seemed!

Does this mean I have to change all my devices to reflect the new location it was really recorded in? Ha, ha! :)
The future's uncertain

#40 manhime

manhime

• Members
  • 890 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:54 PM

Manhime,

You've got your wish.

MICHAEL McCLURE RESPONDS

Now this is interesting. I wonder how he got a hold of Michael McClure? I tried a month or so before Ray died. I emailed Michael McClure's assistant. She thought the whole debate and rumor was interesting. She asked for links to the Paris tapes. I provided a copy of the recording and all links. She said she would ask Michael McClure and get back to me. I told one poster here I trusted what I was doing and not the whole board. I was waiting till I got confirmation. Well weeks went by and no email. So I was going to e-mail her again and then Ray passes away. I thought Michael McClure was grieving his friend and did not want to bother him during that time. So I was waiting a few more months. Seems this researcher (Len) did not bother to wait and let Michael McClure grieve his friend. Although from the quotes provided it seems Michael McClure was ok with giving his comments. The funny thing is if I came back with news first. Then people would question if I really contacted Michael McClure. So I am assuming this researcher has creditability. Of course I would like to of seen a youtube video with Michael McClure making this statement, but that might be asking too much.

So assuming that the researcher (Len) did talk/email Michael McClure. Then yes this puts the Paris tapes rumor to bed. For me it is almost the same in finding out there is no Santa clause. I liked this story very much. It showed the HUMAN side of Jim. The generous side of Jim. The fun side of Jim.

As I stated before. Have Michael McClure put an end to the rumor. Then I would believe it. So as a man of my word. I believe that Michael McClure stated that is indeed his voice. Although he can not remember the recording or the date. Blaming on being drunk. We all know Michael McClure was not in Paris at the time Jim died. So the recording could not of been in Paris.

So for me I stand corrected and thank the researcher (Len) for clearing this up. For contacting Michael McClure. For beating me to the the truth lol. Man that pisses me off. I had months of head start on him. He did what I could not accomplish up till this point. kudos to the researcher.

Questions still remain though. Why did Jim carry these tapes with him in a bag? Why did he label it JOMO and the Smoothies? Obviously as a joke.

I guess we know why the "Street Musicians" Never came forward. They never existed. Or the french technician.

Edited by manhime, 27 August 2013 - 06:27 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users