Photo

Trying to read Hopkins' "Behind Closed Doors" (technical question)

Jerry Hopkins

41 replies to this topic

#1 Crimson_King

Crimson_King

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • Location:This sh*t town called Escondido, California (trash scattered everywhere!)
  • Interests:French Philosophy, poetry, psychology, sociology, hermeneutics, semiotics, cinema, sleeping.....and (right now) Doors, Steely Dan, Talking Heads, King Crimson-Fripp, Yes, Jethro Tull, Eno, Roxy Music, Bruford, etc......even, yes, The Monkees!

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:15 PM

Hey guys,

Yesterday I went ahead and purchased Hopkins' new electronic-book "Behind Closed Doors" off of Amazon.

I figured, "hey, it's only 5 bucks, why not?"

But I had to d/l and install "Kindle for PCs" since it's not on this (10-year-old) computer. Anyway, the install appeared to go well, I now have an official Kindle icon on the desktop, and my new Kindle list now has the book, which I paid for dang'it.

But it will not allow me to open it,.......at all. (again he says, "dang'it"!)

Everytime I click on the cover to open it, I get that standard MS Error message asking whether or not I want to "send a report" to Microsoft. When I went in to "troubleshoot", it indicates that the "dictionary" was not installed properly and the system makes NO attempt to fix it. It just closes the whole thing up COMPLETELY then that wonderful "Microsoft encountered a problem/error.....would you like to send a report?" pop-up box well..............it pops up!

Has anyone downloaded this book and, if so, do you know anything about how to repair this problem?
"Naked we come, Bruised we go.....Nude pastry for the slow soft worms below" - JDM

#2 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:33 PM

I downloaded the book. Unfortunately, I don't know how to help you. I have a Kindle.

Regarding the book, it's worth the $5 but barely. After reading The Lizard King and this e-book, both written solely by Hopkins, my opinion of him as a writer is pretty low. With both books, he doesn't seem to care much about the finished product. There are grammatical mistakes on nearly every page, and I'm not exaggerating. They're very sloppily written .Furthermore, he doesn't seem to have a high opinion of Jim as a person. The tone of this e-book is cynical at times.

#3 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:01 PM

I have an iPad and I have the kindle app, and kindle cloud. I can never get the kindle app to work, but the cloud works well.

I'm guessing your computer might be to old to run the program, or it's not compatible? These are the type of issues I run into with a pc. Have you checked out kindles FAQ page? I'm sure it's a common issue.

Good luck!
The future's uncertain
And the end is always near.

#4 jlo

jlo

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:09 PM

I downloaded the book. Unfortunately, I don't know how to help you. I have a Kindle.

Regarding the book, it's worth the $5 but barely. After reading The Lizard King and this e-book, both written solely by Hopkins, my opinion of him as a writer is pretty low. With both books, he doesn't seem to care much about the finished product. There are grammatical mistakes on nearly every page, and I'm not exaggerating. They're very sloppily written .Furthermore, he doesn't seem to have a high opinion of Jim as a person. The tone of this e-book is cynical at times.

i agree, encuentro. after i read it i felt like i wasted my time and money. i would call it a pamphlet more than a book. and, the sloppy writing and type-os bothered me too!

crimson king, i did a quick google search and maybe this site will help you?

http://www.amazon.co...odeId=200450710

and, you might want to read this thread...there was a brief discussion about the 'pamphlet'.

[url="http://thedoors.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21997&st=20&hl="behind%20closed%20doors"#entry380377"]http://thedoors.com/...34;#entry380377[/url]

Edited by jlo, 05 July 2013 - 11:16 PM.

...no time to wallow in the mire...

#5 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts
  • Interests:Politics; History (Medieval English, Victorian English and American, esp. William Bonney/Lincoln County War); Permaculture; Mexican and Moroccan Folk Art and Vernacular Architecture

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:46 AM

Thank you for that. I remember back to 1980 and everyone's low opinion of NOHGOA, when in fact it was Jerry Hopkin's doing, Jerry Hopkin's nasty, jealous take on Jim that prevailed back then. IMO he's a nasty, jealous son of a bitch. Fuck him.
I still believe in the Cosmic Giggle, even if Rolling Stone doesn't any more.

#6 rokritr

rokritr

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:50 AM

I remember back to 1980 and everyone's low opinion of NOHGOA, when in fact it was Jerry Hopkin's doing, Jerry Hopkin's nasty, jealous take on Jim that prevailed back then.

While no huge fan of Hopkins myself, and though the Kindle "booklet" was a quick read without a whole lot of interesting information, but for people to continue to put Sugerman on some sort of pedestal as some bastion of truth is equally pretty funny.

For all those defending Sugerman (and blaming Hopkins for the sensationalism), listen to Sugerman in this 1980 interview talk about the book here:
http://www.youtube.c...?v=OFnNaiaSQtM\

According to him (in his own words), “I read [Jerry Hopkins’ book]….It was rich with FACTS and rich with RESEARCH. [But] it didn’t really have an ‘in-person’ quality. It didn’t feel like Jim; Jim wasn’t alive in the book. It was like a report on Jim’s life and I asked Jerry if I could give it that quality, and he said, ‘Yeah, go ahead.’ And I did that, and Warners bought the book.”

And in this interview Sugerman says of NOHGOA (or "Nothing Here But Lots of Lies"), “The book is true. Everything about it is true.”

#7 rokritr

rokritr

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:51 AM

And here's a quick example of Sugerman’s sensationalistic storytelling

The concert in which Jim couldn’t perform and had to go to the hospital was in Amsterdam on Sept. 15, 1968…..the television performance being discussed here by Sugerman was THREE days later on Sept. 18 (not the next morning as Sugerman blabs here).

In fact, the band played TWO full concerts in Copenhagan on Sept. 17th (before that TV performance).

Sugerman’s comments are laughable. He says that the reason Jim sings “Love Me Two Times” in the television performance sitting on a stool is because he hasn’t been able to stand on his feet because of what happened in Amsterdam the night before. Total and complete bullshit.

Actual fact is that Cheri Siddons and Bill Siddons picked Jim up at the hospital the next day (Sept. 16), and then spent the whole day with Jim. The rest of the band had moved on to Copenhagen for their two concerts the following day (Sept. 17). Meanwhile, Cheri, Bill and Jim visited the museum in Amsterdam and had a meal at an Indonesian restaurant before going to Copenhagen for two concerts (on Sept. 17) and then the TV performance was after that (on Sept. 18).

This is just another clear example of Sugerman’s inability to stick to facts and to always put sensationalistic twists on things......that HE was mainly responsible for in NOHGOA, in order to get a publisher interested.

#8 Crimson_King

Crimson_King

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • Location:This sh*t town called Escondido, California (trash scattered everywhere!)
  • Interests:French Philosophy, poetry, psychology, sociology, hermeneutics, semiotics, cinema, sleeping.....and (right now) Doors, Steely Dan, Talking Heads, King Crimson-Fripp, Yes, Jethro Tull, Eno, Roxy Music, Bruford, etc......even, yes, The Monkees!

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:09 AM

yeah, I agree.

I had always heard that it was Danny who added all of the anecdotal and "page-turning" details to Nothing Here But Lots of Lies. It's no secret that Hopkins' original manuscript was "the size of the Manhattan telephone directory", and that Sugerman spiced it up for the publisher.

What would really be neat is to read that telephone directory, sans Sugerman.
"Naked we come, Bruised we go.....Nude pastry for the slow soft worms below" - JDM

#9 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

and There's a lot worse btw don't forget sugerman claimed he was morrison's friend..poor him,remembering me about two pathetic groupies saying same lies here.fortunately there are just half a dozen of zombies lizard king fans who believe in these lies.including Encuentro lol..silver forest why don't say these guys they are zombies face to face and not just their shoulders as you like to do lol..you reminds someone,try to guess who..ah,maybe rokritr?saying their are to.o stupid to point out the obvious..of course he's right.

What the hell are you talking about? What lies do I believe? Can you be specific? Are you just making generalizations? Can you please post a link to the lies that you say that I believe? This entire board is a shame. I'm reluctant to post here anymore, because the moment you make your presence know, someone is attacking you for absolutely no reason.

#10 Crimson_King

Crimson_King

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:13 PM

forgive me if this has already been answered, but are StupidGirl and Giza the same person?

#11 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

forgive me if this has already been answered, but are StupidGirl and Giza the same person?

No, different people.
The future's uncertain

#12 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

And here's a quick example of Sugerman’s sensationalistic storytelling

The concert in which Jim couldn’t perform and had to go to the hospital was in Amsterdam on Sept. 15, 1968…..the television performance being discussed here by Sugerman was THREE days later on Sept. 18 (not the next morning as Sugerman blabs here).

In fact, the band played TWO full concerts in Copenhagan on Sept. 17th (before that TV performance).

Sugerman’s comments are laughable. He says that the reason Jim sings “Love Me Two Times” in the television performance sitting on a stool is because he hasn’t been able to stand on his feet because of what happened in Amsterdam the night before. Total and complete bullshit.

Actual fact is that Cheri Siddons and Bill Siddons picked Jim up at the hospital the next day (Sept. 16), and then spent the whole day with Jim. The rest of the band had moved on to Copenhagen for their two concerts the following day (Sept. 17). Meanwhile, Cheri, Bill and Jim visited the museum in Amsterdam and had a meal at an Indonesian restaurant before going to Copenhagen for two concerts (on Sept. 17) and then the TV performance was after that (on Sept. 18).

This is just another clear example of Sugerman’s inability to stick to facts and to always put sensationalistic twists on things......that HE was mainly responsible for in NOHGOA, in order to get a publisher interested.

I also agree about Danny S. I just posted up a few weeks ago a new interview with Jerry Hopkins in another thread. He had spoken about Jim in nice terms. I'll try to find it again.

I think (in my opionion) that TV performance is one of their best performances.
The future's uncertain

#13 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts
  • Interests:Politics; History (Medieval English, Victorian English and American, esp. William Bonney/Lincoln County War); Permaculture; Mexican and Moroccan Folk Art and Vernacular Architecture

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:31 AM

Oh good grief, here we go again.

It was Hopkins. His smarmy, insinuating introduction to the loathesome Patricia Butler's loathesome AD&AD makes that perfectly clear.

I thought the same about Danny--that he was the one responsible for the sleaze and ugliness of NOHGOA--right up until I got to know Salli Stevenson, and heard her stories about how her close friend Danny had tried to "warm up" Hopkins' sleaze & slime, but got rolled over every time.

Danny's dead now. Hopkins isn't, so of course he's free to say whatever he wants and to point the finger of blame at someone who isn't around to defend himself.

Typical, typical, typical....

Edited by mizscarlett43, 08 July 2013 - 11:31 AM.

#14 flashing bliss

flashing bliss

FB

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

Don't recall having seen this part of the interview before and I must say I always thought of Wonderland Avenue as an autobiography. How wrong I was and surprised at Danny describing it as "a semi-autobiographical novel".

Ray agrees by saying "it's a novel that's stretched a little bit in.....", & "....yes it is what really happened but just understand that in the novel, Wonderland Avenue, it's a fiction-fact; Danny has elaborated a few things...."

I actually had to pluck the book out to check how it is described on the cover. It doesn't say 'novel' or 'autobiography' just "A true Rock 'N' Roll Saga"
Flash

#15 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:26 AM

Don't recall having seen this part of the interview before and I must say I always thought of Wonderland Avenue as an autobiography. How wrong I was and surprised at Danny describing it as "a semi-autobiographical novel".

Ray agrees by saying "it's a novel that's stretched a little bit in.....", & "....yes it is what really happened but just understand that in the novel, Wonderland Avenue, it's a fiction-fact; Danny has elaborated a few things...."

I actually had to pluck the book out to check how it is described on the cover. It doesn't say 'novel' or 'autobiography' just "A true Rock 'N' Roll Saga"

It's been awhile since I read it, but I remember being impressed by the fact that--at least as I recall--Danny didn't make any extravagant claims vis a vis his relationship with Jim Morrison. I also remember Salli telling me that Danny had worked very hard to make it as accurate as possible.

IIRC it's pretty low key vis-a-vis Jim Morrison. It's Jim Osterberg/Iggy Pop that comes off as the rock'n'roll madman--but I also remember (or think I do) that Ig was pretty pissed off and slagged Danny mercilessly, so who knows? I'm inclined to go with Danny, myself--but after all these years the memories are pretty faded. i didn't know most of these people so I really have no grounds to judge.

#16 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:45 AM

BTW it occurs to me that Danny may have fudged his discription/claims about Wonderland Avenue on the advice of his attorneys. I think it's pretty much truth, myself--whatever "truth" is and at least as Danny remembers it--but since the portrayal of Osterberg is not the most flattering, and maybe there were some others who might have taken exception to their portrayals in the book (as I said, it's been years since I read it so I don't remember much)--I think he was probably advised by a battery of attorneys to cover his arse by claiming the book was semi-fiction.

#17 flashing bliss

flashing bliss

FB

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:27 PM

Thanks Miz. Avoiding legal troubles would make sense as the interview does look a little 'staged'. They're at pains to say it is a novel whereas it says 'True' on the dustjacket. I was thinking Ray was doing the older brother thing and reining Danny in a bit.

Giza. MizScarlet's explanation is as good as yours to me but we'll never know for sure as they don't specify which parts of the saga should be viewed as fiction-fact.
Flash

#18 Crimson_King

Crimson_King

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

when i first read WA, I was on the edge of my seat during the section where Danny ODs and actually dies for a couple minutes......WOW! It's a wonder that he could even SPEAK after that, let alone be the articulate, insightful man he was for many years until his death.

#19 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:09 PM

when i first read WA, I was on the edge of my seat during the section where Danny ODs and actually dies for a couple minutes......WOW! It's a wonder that he could even SPEAK after that, let alone be the articulate, insightful man he was for many years until his death.

It's probably a bunch of BS. That's one of at least two stories in the book that I have difficulty believing. The other is when he crashed his car onto the roof of a house, got out, fell through the roof and landed on the living room couch.

#20 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:02 PM

It's probably a bunch of BS. That's one of at least two stories in the book that I have difficulty believing. The other is when he crashed his car onto the roof of a house, got out, fell through the roof and landed on the living room couch.

"Stranger than fiction," my friend--it does happen. In any case, it's one heck of an entertaining story, isn't it? ;)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users