Photo

Rock Chick: A Girl and Her Music: The Jazz & Pop Writings 1968-1971 by Patricia Kennealy-Morrison

47 replies to this topic

#1 *~adrienne~*

*~adrienne~*

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • Interests:Sirius XMU, books on bands from the late 60s/70s & non-fiction, Netflix (mostly horror films in my queue), art galleries, concerts, coffee, sugar free red bull and any combination of chocolate and peanut butter.

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:57 PM

Here's a brief synopsis from amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/0615852327

Patricia Kennealy-Morrison is long regarded as one of the Founding Mothers of rock journalism, helping to create the genre that changed the face of the music that shaped the sixties and seventies. As the editor of Jazz & Pop Magazine, Ms. Kennealy-Morrison reviewed that music and met the musicians who became a generation's icons.

And now, years later, she's sharing those memories by republishing her original articles. And we, the readers, can view those moments in time in her unique perspective. For those of us who were there, it's a chance to remember an amazing time. For those who weren't, it's a chance of a lifetime -- to find out what it was really like.

Janet? I'm waiting for you to tear this thread apart LOL...

Edited by *~adrienne~*, 18 August 2013 - 10:58 PM.

"Instant gratification takes too long!"
-Carrie Fisher

#2 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:42 AM

While I'm not a fan of hers, you can't take away her career. She did write and experience what she did. She should have left the Jim Morrison marriage thing alone, I think it hurt her credibility.

The thing that bothers me about her is the last name. She didn't have that last name when Jim Morrison was alive. She had to go to a court and have it changed. So I don't appreciate those false impressions. Taking a mans last name is a serious thing, especially with marriage.
The future's uncertain
And the end is always near.

#3 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:18 AM

She's quite the accomplished rock journalist. I enjoyed the reviews that were republished in The Doors: The Illustrated History as well as her contribution to The Doors from the Outside. I took a look at the table of contents of this book, and there are quite a few potentially interesting reviews.

#4 *~adrienne~*

*~adrienne~*

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • Interests:Sirius XMU, books on bands from the late 60s/70s & non-fiction, Netflix (mostly horror films in my queue), art galleries, concerts, coffee, sugar free red bull and any combination of chocolate and peanut butter.

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:24 AM

Queenhwy, I agree...maybe she'd have some kind of credibility w/fans if she hadn't taken his last name...and why is there just that ONE pic of her and Jim together where they both look miserable (the one where she's sitting and he's standing over her)...I'm sure they had a handfasting ceremony but even she said something to the effect of it not being serious...I just asked her on fb if she was doing a book tour (she said no) and then I asked her why and she said she already did one w/her first book and it was too exhausting or something to that effect...it just makes me think she doesn't want to answer questions...what I wouldn't give to see her, Janet and Salli in a room together LOL!
-Carrie Fisher

#5 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:53 AM

Queenhwy, I agree...maybe she'd have some kind of credibility w/fans if she hadn't taken his last name...and why is there just that ONE pic of her and Jim together where they both look miserable (the one where she's sitting and he's standing over her)...I'm sure they had a handfasting ceremony but even she said something to the effect of it not being serious...I just asked her on fb if she was doing a book tour (she said no) and then I asked her why and she said she already did one w/her first book and it was too exhausting or something to that effect...it just makes me think she doesn't want to answer questions...what I wouldn't give to see her, Janet and Salli in a room together LOL!

Yes, I know the picture of them both. I thought she was Yoko Ono at first! I believe the hand fasting stuff too, but legal marriage and all the wife stuff...hell no! She is a smart woman, and I don't take that away from her, or her memories with Jim Morrison. She just took it to a really weird level years following his death.

And I've read a few snippets of her version of the story and Janet's. I wish PK would discuss Janet's article. I'd like to hear her response. And the three of them in a room..yikes!
The future's uncertain
And the end is always near.

#6 *~adrienne~*

*~adrienne~*

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:23 AM

Queen...totally! I'm sure they spent time together...but to what degree that's another story entirely...yeah I thought she was Yoko too LOL! How funny! My husband & I exchanged Claddagh rings as well, but it wasn't a handfasting ceremony...we got hitched at the town hall officiated by a minister that we'd called a few days prior...and walked out w/a marriage license...I dunno...I tend to believe the folks who don't profit from knowing Jim...that's why I believe both Salli, Janet and Candy...always have always will!
-Carrie Fisher

#7 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:30 AM

The people, the issues -- and, always, the music
By Carole McNall - July 29, 2013
My own music passion was in full bloom by 1968 -- my radio and record player were usually on if I was home and I could often be found dancing around the kitchen to my favorite tunes. That teenager would have loved to be a journalist writing about the music. Since I couldn't be, I'm most grateful that Patricia Kennealy-Morrison was there to chronicle those days and even more grateful that she has gathered her work into this collection.

If you were there, you will likely know the bands -- groups like Jefferson Airplane and, of course, The Doors. You'll find snippets of news from her column, stories about some concerts, record reviews and observations on some of the music festivals (especially Woodstock, which she attended). You can match opinions on the work you know and perhaps find some new/old music to explore.

But you can also find thoughtful, well-written pieces on issues that sound depressingly current in 2013. A controlled but angry piece on the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago stirs echoes of some of the Occupy demonstrations in this decade. Questions about the difference in respect shown to a mediocre all-female band v. a similarly talented all-male band might remind you of some current fans. A discussion of who is responsible for the increase in prices of concert tickets (to $10, sigh) foreshadows today's $50 and up prices; I suspect the culprits (all of us) are the same.

Kennealy-Morrison is intelligent, observant about her subject and a terrific writer. If the music of that era matters to you -- or if you're curious about it -- add this book to your Kindle.
http://www.amazon.co...ursor=1&sort=rd

Edited by Encuentro, 19 August 2013 - 04:39 AM.

#8 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:37 AM

Like opening a Time Capsule. Wonderful Read.
By LSB - July 26, 2013
ROCK CHICK: A Girl and Her Music, The Jazz & Pop Writings by Patricia Kennealy-Morrison, a fascinating trip back in time to the turbulent and brilliant music scene of the late '60s and early '70s. Read reviews and articles written and published from 1969 - 1971 by someone who was there, experiencing it all first hand. Ms. Kennealy-Morrison, author of The Keltiad series, the Rennie Stride Rock & Roll Mysteries, and her memoir, Strange Days: My Life With and Without Jim Morrison, started her writing career in the 1960s as a journalist and rock critic for Jazz & Pop magazine. She has compiled her wonderful articles and interviews with many of the most important artists of the era, including; The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Big Brother & The Holding Company, The Beatles among others, together in one volume to share with a new audience. With each article, she offers personal experiences, and her unique and insightful take on the music and memories of artists and events of the time. The book will be available in the next couple of weeks. I highly recommend it!
http://www.amazon.co...ursor=2&sort=rd

#9 StupidGirl

StupidGirl

• Banned
  • 2,835 posts
  • Interests:the truth...for it can be adjusted.....

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:22 AM

So, catfight....Sallie, Texasky, , Janet the Patricia? Of course, a man set this up. Pam. Pam. She loved him too.

#10 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts
  • Interests:Politics; History (Medieval English, Victorian English and American, esp. William Bonney/Lincoln County War); Permaculture; Mexican and Moroccan Folk Art and Vernacular Architecture

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:00 AM

It's the other way around, isn't it? He's sitting and she's standing behind him? and Jazz & Pop publisher Pauline Rivelli is standing next to her, but of course Kennealy has cut Rivelli (her former boss) out of the picture in a pathetic effort to make it look like a personal photo, when in fact it's a professional photo, taken at the Jazz & Pop office in New York, for an article in the magazine.

Of course the handfasting ceremony wasn't serious--she performed it herself, at a time when her "groom" was recovering from pneumonia and so out of it he could barely stand up, apparently. And btw, it was just the two of them--she's just flat out lying (as usual) when she claims otherwise.

As for a book tour, my guess is that her publisher (who may well be Kennealy herself, given the number of books that are being self-published today) simply doesn't have the money and/or doesn't think there'd be enough interest to make a tour feasible.

And your fantasy of a face to face with the lying loon?--never happen. She's a devout coward who simply doesn't have the spine for such a confrontation.

Edited by mizscarlett43, 22 August 2013 - 01:19 AM.

I still believe in the Cosmic Giggle, even if Rolling Stone doesn't any more.

#11 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts
  • Interests:Politics; History (Medieval English, Victorian English and American, esp. William Bonney/Lincoln County War); Permaculture; Mexican and Moroccan Folk Art and Vernacular Architecture

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:43 AM

Yep

It's the other way around, isn't it? He's sitting and she's standing behind him? and Jazz & Pop publisher Pauline Rivelli is standing next to her, but of course Kennealy has cut Rivelli (her former boss) out of the picture in a pathetic effort to make it look like a personal photo, when in fact it's a professional photo, taken at the Jazz & Pop office in New York, for an article in the magazine.

Of course the handfasting ceremony wasn't serious--she performed it herself, at time when her "groom" was recovering from pneumonia and so out of it he could barely stand up, apparently. And btw, it was just the two of them--she's just flat out lying (as usual) when she claims otherwise.

As for a book tour, my guess is that her publisher (who may well be Kennealy herself, given the number of books that are being self-published today) simply doesn't have the money and/or doesn't think there'd be enough interest to make a tour feasible.

And your fantasy of a face to face with the lying loon?--never happen. She's a devout coward who simply doesn't have the spine for such a confrontation.

I just checked the Amazon listing, and sure enough, her "publisher" is "Lizard Queen Productions." What a surprise... :lol:

#12 StupidGirl

StupidGirl

• Banned
  • 2,835 posts
  • Interests:the truth...for it can be adjusted.....

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

Mizz Scarlett, go to bed already.SG

#13 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

Mizz Scarlett, go to bed already.SG

Get a life, SG. You're beyond tiresome, I'm sorry to have to say to you.

#14 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts
  • Interests:European History, Riding horses, Poetry, listening to the Wind

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:42 PM

Well, I will throw my 2 cents worth in here. I have not met Patricia so I do not know her. But I did read her book ...the one she wrote about Jim.

What struck me as strange was that she made Jim into a robotic person who simply complied and obey Patricia at every whim. I didn't know Jim to be so mindless. She makes Jim into someone who is so madly in love with her that Jim has no funtion with his reasoning abilites. That is not the guy I once knew.

Also, I read that she hoped Corky Courson and Pam were both rotting in Hell....... what can anyone say to that.?

Another thing that put me off about her is that several of Jim's children wrote to her and she said she would tell them off....cuss them out since they were not her children......but from another woman. Apparently these now grown children were just wanting to connect with someone who knew their father. I wish they would write me...I'd answer everyone of their letters.

She comes across as a very angry, scorned woman. And rather demented.

Edited by Texasky, 22 August 2013 - 04:44 PM.

HE COURTED DEATH LIKE IT WAS A DARK ELUSIVE SWEETHEART

#15 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:47 PM

Well, I will throw my 2 cents worth in here. I have not met Patricia so I do not know her. But I did read her book ...the one she wrote about Jim.

What struck me as strange was that she made Jim into a robotic person who simply complied and obey Patricia at every whim. I didn't know Jim to be so mindless. She makes Jim into someone who is so madly in love with her that Jim has no funtion with his reasoning abilites. That is not the guy I once knew.

Also, I read that she hoped Corky Courson and Pam were both rotting in Hell....... what can anyone say to that.?

Another thing that put me off about her is that several of Jim's children wrote to her and she said she would tell them off....cuss them out since they were not her children......but from another woman. Apparently these now grown children were just wanting to connect with someone who knew their father. I wish they would write me...I'd answer everyone of their letters.

She comes across as a very angry, scorned woman. And rather demented.

She's a very sick woman, Tex, so much so that JIm was actually afraid of her, or so he said. At the time I thought he was putting me on a little, since I couldn't take her seriously enough to be able to imagine that she could be a real threat to anyone (aside from herself).

However, with our 24/7 news cycle and with the Internet, we've all become familiar with the deranged people with whom even minor celebrities are forced to deal, and I've come to realize that she was by far the cleverest of his batch of loonies, especially given her position in the rock world--at least in the very insular NYC rock world--and given her ability to appear normal and to hide her---ahh--abnormalities, shall we say?

I mean, she even fooled me initially, and--as a woman--I had a much better shit detector than poor Jim. But I caught on pretty quickly, and from then on simply played dumb so I could keep track of and monitor her and her crazy schemes.

It's all there in Tiffany Talks: Your Ballroom Days Are Over, Baby, which is free online--no registration, no $$ required to read it--and which (to the best of my recollection since it's been a few years since I've read the whole thing) pretty much sets out the true story of Jim vis a vis Patricia with a few personal (but non-sexual) stories thrown in for good measure. Enjoy!

Edited by mizscarlett43, 26 August 2013 - 07:38 PM.

#16 Shelby68

Shelby68

• Members
  • 927 posts
  • Interests:Music, nature, the getting of wisdom

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:42 PM

"Several" of Jim's children?! How many kids are we talking about?

#17 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:05 PM

I doubt anyone knows for sure, except maybe Jim himself. :lol:

#18 Texasky

Texasky

• Members
  • 1,100 posts
  • Interests:European History, Riding horses, Poetry, listening to the Wind

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:41 AM

She said she would get letters and emails from them over the years. Then she said she would tell them off. She wanted nothing to do with them.

That really bothered me a lot because all of these grown children just wanted someone to connect with and hear personal stories from someone who knew their father. I mean, you know that really isn't much to give back to Jim's offspring. I felt so bad for his children after I read her comments.
HE COURTED DEATH LIKE IT WAS A DARK ELUSIVE SWEETHEART

#19 mizscarlett43

mizscarlett43

Bitch Emeritus

• Members
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:27 AM

IMO--and personal experience--she's a hateful, sick woman, Tex. Have you read Ballroom Days? It's all there, her craziness and hatred of Jim and anyone close to him, and how she stalked him and tried to nail him for a pregnancy which was actually the result of her seeking solace in the arms of her boyfriend (the late David Walley) after Jim made it clear their "wedding" meant nothing to him. It was a so-called "Wiccan" ceremony performed by Patricia herself, with no one else present, despite her claims to the contrary.

I know her--or at least I used to--because she befriended me (in NYC in 1970) apparently because she knew I was about to move to Los Angeles, and she thought that--because of my looks and red hair-- she could use me in order to get to him in Los Angeles in early 1971, and of course she was right.

I'd be pleased if you'd read Ballroom Days and get back to me with your reactions to my story.

Edited by mizscarlett43, 18 October 2013 - 06:46 PM.

#20 Hamlet

Hamlet

• Members
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:45 PM

I'm gonna buy the book. She actally married Jim. How cool is that?
we´s just joy-ridin´

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users