Photo

The Doors - New Blu-ray "R-Evolution" Out Nov 25th - Lots Of Rare Footage!?

34 replies to this topic

#1 jim91m

jim91m

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:56 AM

Just found this listing on AmazonUK. Eagle Rock is releasing a standard and deluxe Blu-ray Doors compilation that promises some rare footage. I scoured the internet, the Eagle Rock site as well as Amazon US and can't find any info. The AmazonUK site lists it as a region B release so I hope there will be a US region 1 coming out as well. Has anyone heard anything about this?
I'm super psyched about this because it has the entire Dick Clark appearance for the first time <2 songs and an interview> among other things.

Amazon UK links -

Deluxe "Book" version :
http://www.amazon.co..._sim_sbs_d_h__1
Standard version :
http://www.amazon.co..._sim_sbs_d_h__1

Product Description
R-Evolution brings together a wealth of previously unreleased footage of The Doors. Combining early TV appearances with their own music films it illustrates how The Doors evolved from the constraints of late sixties television to a point where they had the creative input and power to shape how they were portrayed on screen. Throughout the unique charisma and talent of The Doors comes across, whether it be on a lightweight pop show or on a film created from their own imaginations, along with some of the most influential music ever made. Tracklisting Information :
1) Break On Through (To The Other Side) Music Film January 1967
2) Break On Through (To The Other Side) From Shebang aired early 1967
3) The Crystal Ship / Dick Clark Interview / Light My Fire From American Bandstand aired July 1967
4) Light My Fire From Malibu U aired August 1967
5) People Are Strange From Murray The K In New York aired September 1967
6) Moonlight Drive From The Jonathan Winters Show aired December 1967
7) Unknown Soldier Music Film February 1968
8) Hello, I Love You From Musik Für Junge Leute: 4-3-2-1 Hot And Sweet aired September 1968
9) Touch Me From The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour aired December 1968
10) Wild Child Music Film July 1969
11) Roadhouse Blues Music Film February 1970
12) Crawling King Snake From GTK (Get To Know) aired March 1971
13) The Changeling Music Film April 1971
14) Gloria Music Film October 1983
15) People Are Strange Music Film 1984
16) Strange Days Music Film 1980s
17) L.A. Woman Music Film 1985
18) Ghost Song Music Film 1995

#2 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:55 AM

It looks to be an official release, but there isn't anything new on the list. However, it would be nice to have some of that footage, such as the complete American Bandstand footage, in pristine quality. I hope it's released in the U.S.

#3 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

It looks to be an official release, but there isn't anything new on the list. However, it would be nice to have some of that footage, such as the complete American Bandstand footage, in pristine quality. I hope it's released in the U.S.

I did some googling and came up with nothing regarding a US release! :(.
The future's uncertain
And the end is always near.

#4 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

Update: found this on the Doors site!

https://www.thedoors...-pre-order-5566
The future's uncertain

#5 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:05 PM

Update: found this on the Doors site!

https://www.thedoors...-pre-order-5566

Pretty neat. Pretty neat. Pretty good. Pretty good. Malibu U in colour! Hello, I Love You from Frankfurt in colour!

#6 StupidGirl

StupidGirl

• Banned
  • 2,835 posts
  • Interests:the truth...for it can be adjusted.....

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:35 AM

Pretty neat. Pretty neat. Pretty good. Pretty good. Malibu U in colour! Hello, I Love You from Frankfurt in colour!

throw away your television rhcp......

#7 daniel@falaschi.net

daniel@falaschi.net

• Registered Users
  • 298 posts
  • Interests:Music<br />Outdoors sports<br />Geology

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:26 PM

Yet again, a re-release of many times released material, although the compilation-collection of all the promo films and tv appearences is interesting. Interesting as how footage from 1967 would look like on BR. It would be nice the management would give also a hint on what has happened to the LA WOMAN box set and London Fog release...
Bring back the Q&A thread!

#8 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

There is some new material on this release. Malibu U in color with outtakes. The Ford training film. A new Murray Lerner edit of Break On Through from Isle of Wight.

Yes, it would be nice if management would tell us what is going on with the L.A. Woman outtakes, The Matrix and the Fog, but that's not going to happen. Management and all representatives of management have completely abandoned this board.

R-Evolution PRE-ORDER $14.98

https://thedoors.com/store

*** PLEASE NOTE: This product is not scheduled to be released until December 3rd, 2013. All orders containing this item will be held until we receive this product from the manufacturer.

The Doors: R-Evolution tells the story of the band’s growth in front of the camera from accepting the formulaic to taking control of the medium.

Revolution: From creating one of the early music videos, their approach to FM radio, billboard advertising, and the use of creative album art and advertising - the Doors helped to revolutionize the way rock bands were promoted.

Evolution: From an unknown L.A. band to performing on pre-recorded television pop shows to international celebrity on the still emerging live television format. The Doors would take control of their own celluloid persona and create some of the most memorable promotional films in the music television history.

Jim Morrison and Ray Manzarek both graduated from the UCLA Film School in 1965, so it’s not surprising that The Doors had a greater interest in film than most bands.

Between 1967 and 1968, The Doors appeared on several major pop culture television shows in the US. If required, they went along with the practice of lip-synching although the presence of Jim Morrison meant that something out of the ordinary could happen at any moment. Despite the generic, sometimes sterile formats of these shows, there was an element of danger in The Doors’ performances, so their rebellious image remained intact as their success grew.

In 1967, with the help and support of Elektra Records, the band made a film to promote the release of Break On Through, which helped generate excitement and airplay in major markets from coast to coast.

The Doors never shied away from controversy; they had a lead singer who actively sought and courted it. In early 1968, at the height of their success, the band again married sound and vision to highlight their views on the Vietnam War. A16mm film was made to accompany the song The Unknown Soldier, juxtaposing an archetypical US family scene with a character (Jim Morrison) being tied up, shot and buried. The television stations it was supplied to refused to show it.

After Jim Morrison died in 1971, the music The Doors made between 1967 and 1971 continued to gain in influence and importance. The arrival of channels on TV dedicated to music videos plus compilations and live albums necessitated the creation of further films to promote them. In 1985, Ray Manzarek turned to his love of film to direct the noteworthy and frequently seen visualization of the song L.A. Woman.

This collection shows many aspects of The Doors on film. Rarities include the band’s full performance on “Shebang”, an interview with Dick Clark, a color version of the band’s appearance on “Malibu U” (and never before seen outtakes), the complete, color version of Hello, I Love You from German TV, the director’s cut of the 1985 L.A. Woman short film, and as bonus features, a new edit by Murray Lerner from the 1970 Isle of Wight festival and the infamous film commissioned by the Ford Motor Company in 1966 with The Doors providing the soundtrack. With the exception of the Ford piece, all the audio has been restored by Bruce Botnick, the band’s long time engineer and co-producer of the L.A. Woman album.
Track Listing

1. Break On Through (To The Other Side)
Music Film – January 1967
2. Break On Through (To The Other Side)
Shebang – March 6, 1967
3. The Crystal Ship
American Bandstand – July 22, 1967
4. Light My Fire
American Bandstand – July 22, 1967
5. Light My Fire
Malibu U – August 25 1967
6. People Are Strange
Murray The K In New York – September 22, 1967
7. Moonlight Drive
From The Jonathan Winters Show – December 27, 1967
8. The Unknown Soldier
Music Film – February 1968
9. Hello, I Love You
Musik Für Junge Leute: 4-3-2-1 Hot And Sweet – September 13, 1968
10. Touch Me
The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour – December 15, 1968
11. Wild Child
Music Film – July 1969
12. Roadhouse Blues
Music Film – February 1970
13. Crawling King Snake
GTK (Get To Know) – December 1970
14. The Changeling
Music Film – April 1971
15. Gloria
Music Film – October 1983
16. People Are Strange
Music Film – 1980’s
17. Strange Days
Music Film – 1984
18. L.A. Woman
Music Film – 1985
19. Ghost Song
Music Film – 1995

BONUS FEATURES

Love Thy Customer (music by The Doors Ford Training Film – 1966

Outtakes:
Malibu U

Break ON Through (To The Other Side)
Isle Of Wight
August 1970

Break On Through The Lens - Documentary

Edited by Encuentro, 18 September 2013 - 01:40 PM.

#9 DoorsFanPeter

DoorsFanPeter

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:49 PM

There is some jaw dropping stuff included. 5-6 things new to super hardcore collectors.

Just curious if surround mixes will be included of studio material, was Ray involved/interviewed, and if a couple film clips will be true high definition rather than recycled laserdisc masters from 2-3 decades ago.

#10 Pats Radio

Pats Radio

Senior

• Members
  • 985 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

I did some googling and came up with nothing regarding a US release! :(.

This will be a worldwide release. Not sure why it was yanked from website though. I'm sure it will be up soon again.
Well that's New York for ya. The only people that rush the stage are guys. - Jim

#11 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:58 PM

This will be a worldwide release. Not sure why it was yanked from website though. I'm sure it will be up soon again.

I hope so! People are saying good things about it! :)
The future's uncertain

#12 Shelby68

Shelby68

• Members
  • 927 posts
  • Interests:Music, nature, the getting of wisdom

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

Why is the "Light My Fire" video/skit from the Murray the K show always suppressed? Someone had posted a YouTube clip of it on these forums, but apparently the clip was removed from YouTube as per demand by Murray the K's estate.

Here is how Jim Cherry described it:

The band also did a “skit” where a girl in a silver jump suit approaches the band on a street and snatches a medallion Morrison is wearing. The band chases them to a park; it has either a very James Bondish or Hard Day’s Night-esque feel to it. As a contender for TV shows that added a storyline to music (no matter how loose) in the years before MTV, Kaufmann may be one of the first to lay claim to the music video.

#13 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:59 PM

I just received an email from the Doors.com regarding the release. Here is all the info:

R-Evolution Pre-Sale
View this email in your browser

R-Evolution
Blu-ray and DVD Pre-Sale

R-Evolution brings together a wealth of rare footage of The Doors. Combining early TV appearances with their own music films, R-Evolution illustrates how The Doors evolved from the constraints of late sixties television to a point where they had the creative input and power to shape how they were portrayed on screen. Throughout, the unique charisma and talent of The Doors comes across, whether it is on a lightweight pop show or in a film created from their own imaginations, as they perform some of the most influential music ever made.

In addition to regular DVD and Blu-Ray formats, a Deluxe Edition is available on each physical format, packaged in a 40-page DVD sized hardback book with a scrapbook style presentation on each track including lyrics, background info, trivia and photos.

The Doors: R-Evolution tells the story of the band&rsquo;s growth in front of the camera from accepting the formulaic to taking control of the medium.

Revolution: From creating one of the early music videos, their approach to FM radio, billboard advertising, and the use of creative album art and advertising - the Doors helped to revolutionize the way rock bands were promoted.

Evolution: From an unknown L.A. band to performing on pre-recorded television pop shows to international celebrity on the still emerging live television format. The Doors would take control of their own celluloid persona and create some of the most memorable promotional films in the music television history.

PRE-ORDER NOW
Track Listing
1. Break On Through (To The Other Side): Music Film &ndash; January 1967
2. Break On Through (To The Other Side): Shebang &ndash; March 6, 1967
3. The Crystal Ship: American Bandstand &ndash; July 22, 1967
4. Light My Fire: American Bandstand &ndash; July 22, 1967
5. Light My Fire: Malibu U &ndash; August 25 1967
6. People Are Strange: Murray The K In New York &ndash; September 22, 1967
7. Moonlight Drive: The Jonathan Winters Show &ndash; December 27, 1967
8. The Unknown Soldier: Music Film &ndash; February 1968
9. Hello, I Love You: Musik F&uuml;r Junge Leute: 4-3-2-1 Hot And Sweet &ndash; September 13, 1968
10. Touch Me: The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour &ndash; December 15, 1968
11. Wild Child: Music Film &ndash; July 1969
12. Roadhouse Blues: Music Film &ndash; February 1970
13. Crawling King Snake: GTK (Get To Know) &ndash; December 1970
14. The Changeling: Music Film &ndash; April 1971
15. Gloria: Music Film &ndash; October 1983
16. People Are Strange: Music Film &ndash; 1980&rsquo;s
17. Strange Days: Music Film &ndash; 1984
18. L.A. Woman: Music Film &ndash; 1985
19. Ghost Song: Music Film &ndash; 1995

Bonus Features
Love Thy Customer (music by The Doors) Ford Training Film &ndash; 1966
Outtakes: Malibu U, 1967
Break On Through (To The Other Side) Isle Of Wight- August 1970
Break On Through The Lens - Documentary
Commentary

PRE-ORDER NOW
Tweet
Forward to Friend
+1
Copyright &copy; 2013 The Doors, All rights reserved.
You joined this mailing list through one of The Doors' official websites.

Our mailing address is:
The Doors
2818 Azalea PlaceNashville, TN 37211

Add us to your address book
unsubscribe from this list update subscription preferences

The future's uncertain

#14 Encuentro

Encuentro

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:03 PM

Ya beat me to it, Queenhwy. How dare you!

#15 Pedro Kazit

Pedro Kazit

• Registered Users
  • 4,515 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:14 PM

Hey Shelby, "Light my Fire"-Murray the K yes in "Youtube":
-The part of Jim Cherry talks:

#16 queenhwy

queenhwy

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:28 PM

Ya beat me to it, Queenhwy. How dare you!

Im just such an uber fan, I can't help it! Ha, ha! Just kidding.

Just think of it as I saved you time! I got the email earlier, but was to lazy to post it. :)

Do you know the difference between deluxe and the regular DVD? I'm not sure which one to get.
The future's uncertain

#17 Shelby68

Shelby68

• Members
  • 927 posts
  • Interests:Music, nature, the getting of wisdom

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:50 PM

Wow! Gracias Pedro, mi amigo. Tu eres El Hombre! Very Austin Powers and the Fembots, that video - but very well done too.

For obsessives only: that stone structure that The Doors go to in the park ... doesn't it resemble the structure the Doors were photographed around in Central Park? This would be in 1968, perhaps spring: Jim was wearing a custom-made outfit of greenish snakeskin.

Edited by Shelby68, 03 October 2013 - 03:52 PM.

#18 jymwrite

jymwrite

• Members
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:57 AM

Hey Shelby, "Light my Fire"-Murray the K yes in "Youtube": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSEN5mu5DYo
-The part of Jim Cherry talks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQXQIiy6Vy4

Thanks for posting that Pedro! Sorry, I don't get around here much any more, but still glad to see my articles get a mention every now and then. Is it me or did the color of that car in the video keep changing? Or maybe just weird editing.

Jim B)

Edited by jymwrite, 30 October 2013 - 12:58 AM.

Writing Under the Influence of Rock 'n' Roll! Jymsbooks

The Doors Examiner

#19 secrethostofthetownship

secrethostofthetownship

• Members
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:21 AM

Would of been nice to see the NTTTE promo film included.

I do believe Ray was interviewed along w/ the other guys for this release.The thing is,if the films are not upgrade to HD than having on-cam interviews filmed in HD would allow for a blu-ray release.I'm guessing most films will be upgraded.The tv performances however,because shot on videotape will all be of standard,well sub-par (because of '60s technology).These unfortunately cannot remastered to hi-def.

I am hoping they have taken to adding a 5.1 digital mix to the films.And it would be awesome,if they could somehow do the same on the programs where Jim has a live vocal w/ pre-recorded music.Add the instrumental track (like TM from Smothers Bros.) in 5.1 digital.Hopefully they'd still have this.And do a little digitally wizardry on the video soundtrack to isolate Morrison's vocal.Then seamlessly mix the two together.I mean,as far as I was concerned they did a pretty good job on the blu-ray HB soundtrack.

Edited by secrethostofthetownship, 31 October 2013 - 03:33 AM.

#20 daniel@falaschi.net

daniel@falaschi.net

• Registered Users
  • 298 posts
  • Interests:Music<br />Outdoors sports<br />Geology

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:21 PM

Well hee is the R-Evolution Touch me preview on youtube

Bring back the Q&A thread!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users